KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Graebel Companies

Is this your company?

Graebel Companies

Add a Review

Graebel Companies Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Nov 2, 2021

Found 17 of over 390 reviews

4.1
Graebel Companies CEO Bill Graebel (no image)
Bill Graebel
Pros
  • "The company fosters a people-centric culture and promotes work-life balance(in 26 reviews)

• "Bill Graebel is the best reason to work for Graebel(in 18 reviews)

• Cons
  • "There are no cons for Graebel at this time(in 40 reviews)

• "Upper management asks for opinions then completely disregards them(in 17 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Consulting

Join the conversation on
    Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Graebel Companies and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Family Owned True to Heart Company

Mar 17, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been employed with Graebel for over 25 years. I began my career with this organization directly out of high school. I've held many positions within this organization from the front end customer line to the back end billing line and in between. I have never been treated unfairly and have always been given the opportunity to rise above in the company. Through hard work and dedication I have been promoted through the ranks. I was encouraged and given the flexibility needed to seek higher education for a degree to better myself AND Graebel PAID for the schooling through our Tuition Reimbursement program. Nothing was handed to me without my hard work and commitment to this company. I LOVE this company and see myself retiring from this great organization. This is not a 'fake' review. I was not prompted to post this review. It frustrates me that individuals are using this website to air their grievances about this organization and the executives that put in their blood, sweat and tears to make this company a success and they truly look out for their employees. Those that are expressing such distaste for the company need to truly look to themselves for what they contributed. People are responsible for their own destiny within an organization and the majority of those that are writing nasty reviews are the individuals that expect everything is due to them without putting forth an effort on their part.

Cons

In the past communication from upper management was considered a con, however, in the past 2 years this has GREATLY improved. Our employees are more engaged then ever and we are being communicated with on the direction of where we are growing as an organization.

3 people found this review helpful

Graebel Companies Response

Thank you very much for your contribution and dedication to Graebel. We are humbled and honored by your faith in us. We will strive to continue to earn your trust in us. Thank you again.

2. 1.0
      Former Employee

Apply if you enjoy being a human punching bag!

Nov 2, 2021 - Accountant
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Biggest pro: Co-workers! -Very occasional incentives (pre-coronavirus) -Always job openings within company (can also be a con for high-turnover) -2 15-minute breaks (paid) & 1 3-minute lunch break (unpaid) -Ability to make up time missed for appointments -Birthday PTO -Volunteer PTO -Decent amount of PTO

Cons

-Narcissistic managers pick on employees relentlessly -Extremely poor communication skills throughout entirety of company -CEO cries during each "town hall" which could be a good thing, but the things he cries about are then retracted later (promises made are not kept) -Get ready for management to pick their favorites -High turnover rate in all departments -Non-existent life/work balance -Managerial positions given to external applicants instead of internal -Overtime and weekend work expected -Hard to find or get ahold of supervisors, or they just don’t read your emails/IMs -Countless meetings that could have been emails -Unrealistic expectations of employee’s -Promises made aren’t kept -Upper management asks for opinions then completely disregards them -Scolded for giving honest opinions -Department favoritism throughout company; some departments are allowed overtime where others aren’t, certain departments treated like the underdog, departments who hit their goals aren’t incentivized but others are -Poor company 401K match Coronavirus-Related; -Minimum 15% pay cut for all employees -Company 401K contribution frozen -“Title only” promotions -Employees laid-off -Yearly, milestone, and promotion raises not given -Many reimbursement programs taken away -Overtime not allowed when workload increases

2 people found this review helpful

Graebel Companies Response

It is clear that you were not happy. However, you have provided inaccurate information above. In Q2 of 2020 Graebel, like many companies at the beginning of the pandemic, did not know the impact the economic downturn and COVID lockdown. As a result we implemented a variety of actions to protect the jobs of as many employees as we could. But since then, we have hired well over 200 people; we reinstated all pay cuts in Q4 2020; all benefits in Q1 2021; all service recognition milestone rewards were reinstated and paid retroactively in 2021; annual increases were reinstated in 2021; all promoted employees received appropriate pay increases at the time of their promotion; and many internal employees were promoted.

3. 3.0
      Former Contractor, less than 1 year

Good company that is afraid to look bad, so they ignore problems.

Apr 12, 2020 - Accountant in Wausau, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Diverse team. Treated people nicely.

Cons

Be prepared to check your brain at the door, and just do what you are told. They will tell you with a smile, though, but they are not interested in your abilities to solve problems. In fact, just ignore problems and do your work seems to be the attitude. Whenever I brought up problems I was told, *Thank you for bringing that up!* and that would be the end of it. There was no follow up, no action taken, no one wanted me to take the initiative and resolve with the problem. Upper management rolled out their own company built CRM and accounting system without testing it, and it was a near disaster. The accounting software was full of bugs and was poorly designed and executed. You could post transactions that did not balance, or duplicate transactions, or transactions with incorrect account information. But they stuck with the system because they had sunk too much money developing it to even consider an alternative. That is a classic problem called, *escalation of commitment,* whereby you commit so much time and energy to a certain objective that you are no longer willing to ask if it is the right objective. Bill Graebel would stop by once or twice a year and give an emotional speech, but he never actually sat down with us to ask how things were going. He would talk about how we are all a family, yet you were treated as expendable by management. I was given great job reviews, but whenever I tried to move up, none of my managers would go to bat for me, or even introduce me to people in other teams where the job opening was. I realized that my team was not receiving any kind of professional training to give us opportunities to improve our abilities, so I tried to address that, but was told to stick to trying materials that they offered online, and do so on my own time. After a year, it was clear that this was not a place to grow and develop. There was a deep sense of cynicism in the long term employees and I did not want to become that way myself.

3 people found this review helpful

Graebel Companies Response

Thank you for sharing your perception and feedback. We are aware of the problems that were encountered in the roll out of the new financial system, and have been doing everything we can, including development of training, to address this issues associated with the new system. Thank you for your advice.

4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

"leadership" is a word that means virtually nothing here

Jul 22, 2019 - Director in Aurora, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

some great people to work with, but not so much with upper management

Cons

a 'poser' in the industry, and upper management not a fan of opposing opinions

7 people found this review helpful

Graebel Companies Response

Thank you for your feedback. We hope you provided additional detail in your exit interviews so we can look further into the issues you raise. Thank you and good luck in your future endeavors.

5. 1.0

Run..FAST!

Jan 8, 2019 - Relocation Consultant in Alpharetta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Bill Graebel is absolutely the most genuine and sincere leader!! Every time he would come for a visit, you always left the meeting feeling pumped and ready to take on the world!! The consultants and associates are surpass just being a team, they are family!!

Cons

Management PERIOD!! From the VP down to the supervisors. HORRIBLE!! They are snakes and NOT to be trusted!! Upper Management in Denver has no idea what is going on in Atlanta!!! Very sad because there was a time when Atlantic was a thriving office, now, not so much. An office of 90 has now dwindled down to 25 (if that). They keep the name tags of employees that are no longer with the company up, that way when clients visit the office looks fulls. At this point, everyone is looking for new opportunities. All of the supervisors except for one have absolutely no relocation or real estate experience. All of the seasoned employees have either been terminated or left on their own. Other than two people, there is no one in Operations who has been there longer than 3-4 years. That should tell you a lot!! The favoritism is RIDICULOUS and blatant!! I cannot imagine how many EEOC charges have either been filed or are pending. Sometimes the supervisors forget that we are alll adults and their are no children in the office. It’s like being in high school! A manager/supervisor or account manager will literally stop speaking to you if you’ve upset them in any way.

9 people found this review helpful

Graebel Companies Response

We are very sorry you are so bitter. We acknowledge that our Atlanta office has struggled in the past, however significant strides have been made. Headcount is about double of what you state in your review; and in fact the engagement scores for the Atlanta office have moved from 16th ranking out of 27 to the # 6 ranking out of 27. 81% of the survey participants see the culture as very favorable. That said we need to try even harder to make our Atlanta office and all of our other offices great places to work.

6. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Nepotism, Nepotism, Nepotism

Dec 3, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Ok pay for job duties, gym, cafe Other moving companies will hire from Graebel due to the name Work life balance is good

Cons

Where to start.. This is a dying company in a dying industry, the industry has discounted its services as a whole far beyond what anyone could expect and Graebel leads the way. There are known accounts that lose money for branches, customer service, operations not even mentioning drivers because certain Vice Presidents have ties to those accounts. The nepotism runs rampant starting with the President of GMI and on down through several departments. You must either be from Wisconsin or be related to someone who has been with the company for over 15 years to have a real chance at upper management. Absolutely no training, shadowing is the only training made available in most cases. I feel for most of the fleet as this company was founded by a driver but has turned into favoritism that include bribes from drivers to get what they want. Not hard to see that in a daily working environment. The drivers know that they hold the edge by threatening to quit to get what they want.

12 people found this review helpful
    7. 3.0
      Current Employee

The Formula is not Working

Sep 29, 2016 - Relocation Consultant in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Engaged Upper-Management, all the way up to the CEO. We've met him many times and he makes it a point to remember our names. Benefits are industry-standard with some nice perks. Co-workers are generally friendly and helpful.

Cons

While Upper-Management seems to appreciate the work done at the front-line, they have established some performance metrics that, given all the circumstances, are mostly unachievable. High emphasis on numbers causes high stress, which causes high-turnover, which then leads to above-max caseloads during an already-hectic season. Extremely stressful and not for the faint of heart. Due to this strain, those employees that are left to deal with the messes suffer decreased scores, which inevitably lowers morale. It is a viscous cycle that Graebel hasn't quite figured out how to nip in the bud yet. Seems to be a work in progress, but if you've been around long enough, it starts to get old.

5 people found this review helpful
    8. 2.0
      Former Employee

Don't Do it to Yourself

Jan 10, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people who work there can become some of your best friends. The CEO is friendly

Cons

Where do I begin? - Failed Promises - Low Salary - Low 401K Policy - HR gossiping about what you tell them to other employees (talk about unprofessional) - Favoritism - No Growth Opportunities - Constant change where only the favorites get to grow and the others get left behind - Terrible upper management - Not really a "diverse" group of people who are managers/directors/etc

12 people found this review helpful
    9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Losing good people by the minute

Apr 10, 2015 - International Household Goods Coordinator in Aurora, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

my direct supervisors were great, they understood the stress of the job and did what they could with the small amount of resources they were given.

Cons

upper management is clueless and unwilling to do what it takes to retain young talent. stuck in their old school ways of doing business.

11 people found this review helpful
    10. 1.0

Poor Business Solutions for Bad Financial Practices

Mar 2, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've made a few lifelong friends, and that is priceless. Now that we've moved on to ethical employers, we all work through our Graebel PTSD together.

Cons

Seriously? A series of "Great place to work" reviews suddenly back to back, conveniently submitted in order to hide the real, very angry, reviews? Get out of here. You DO realize everyone gets email notifications for these fake or coached reviews, right? And you realize we talk about them and how bad it makes you look as an employer, right? Let me take a deep breath here and hope I don't exhale fire. I worked for Graebel for a while up until last year, and made my way around several teams, and various managers. The Graebel Companies Denver Corporate office is made up of ponzi-scheming, glorified, self serving management who are only out to save themselves--across ALL departments. Maybe once upon a time, the company lived by their standards "What do you need, how can I help?", but now it is a cut-throat environment. Now, a different tune is sung along the lines of "What do you need, how can I step on you?" People who you think are your friends are quick to throw you to a flaming sacrificial bonfire pit in order to get ahead and promoted. It is practically encouraged. Your accounting director/manager WILL talk behind your back, and encourage the drama. They forget you're still working late, at your desk, near their open office while they discuss you and others inappropriately. They love it, and bask in it. They pepper their lunch with it. They lather their skin with it and soak their fried chicken in it. They suck air through their teeth and inject it into their veins because it's exhilarating feeling the power of peer manipulation. They thrive on talking to you about your team mates, and pitting you against each other. Then they select their gullible favorites who kiss their saggy rears to talk to them about you. And if you stand up for yourself, go to HR, or have a problem with it, they take it to higher levels where your opinions are obsolete because you're beneath them. These are grown adults playing in a sandbox. They don't care about you! They don't want to know what has you blue or unsatisfied at work. They don't care that you might have talents that could really benefit the company in other ways! No! Because that would make themselves look incompetent, and would pull themselves out of the desired limelight where THEY have the best ideas. Changing direction here, what is disturbing are the decisions made by leading management personnel on the top floor. Townhall meeting after townhall meeting, you will wistfully be told things are going SWELL!! You gotta... "Get out there, and BE somebody, because we're all in this together!".... And employee feedback survey after survey, year after year, your massively mutual questions or concerns are quickly demoted, diverted, and excused by Human Resources. Fast forward several quarters, a more somber aura fills the air. Because of their poor financial planning, reminiscing on their frat-boy days, and focus placed more on dinner parties and defecating on a gold throne in a personal bathroom in their office, the end result is terminating position after position in a series of layoffs and relocated jobs to Wausau for cheaper wage rates, and inevitably outsourced to another country. One day, several people from corporate management will each expense their expensive airfare to fly to your state, show up to your office mid-day, and simply tell you to go home. You won't be coming back. This has affected so many hard working and dedicated people--even people with a 20 year track record! Aside from homesale, a large portion of this company is nothing more than client crediting and expensive reimbursements. Then when it comes time to bill the client for relocation services, Graebel can't collect because they've been using adhoc accounting software from the 90s--the competition out there is remarkably light years ahead. Your typical mom & pop van shops offer better service, and won't use cheap, uneducated 3rd party drivers to entrust with your goods, and then wreck everything. Graebel has been losing money regularly, for a long time, and the reactive solutions from upper management are quite shocking. A common panicked solution in dire red-status stress was to force employees to PRE BILL clientele in order to hurry up incoming funds. How do you pre-bill millions of dollars for services that haven't even been audited or reconciled? How do you let such an immoral practice to continue year after year, as you lose money? How do you keep a manager on board who, she herself, made a big accounting oopsie with one of the largest clients that cost Graebel incredibly large lump sum payments over time, and yet allow her to criticize her staff for not producing impossible numbers to make her look better? SO many clients have received inflated invoicing and duplicated charges! Lack of proper training has added to this chaos. I've seen people practically sitting on millions in invoicing because they lacked the proper tools and resources to process. Accounting managers and directors have literally up and abandoned ship just to save themselves, or create new job titles to stay relevant and off the blacklist. Incredible, really. If you think I'm exaggerating a tall tale, take a look at the employee retention rate before the layoff process started. I have never worked for a more unethical employer in my life. Many of us are so glad we left. HR has lost trustworthy, hard working and genuine people the last few years, because evil prevails in their environment, and they will lie and cheat and take credit for their staff's ideas to keep their positions. They will expect you to drive through a winter blizzard to come to work and walk through the double doors, only to notice HR's dark office is empty of staff, conveniently "working from home." I hope their largest clients catch a whiff of things and send in auditors to blow it all up. Rot in h3ll.

14 people found this review helpful

Graebel Companies Response

We are truly sorry that you are so angry. Unfortunately you describe a company that we don’t recognize. Our sincere belief is that no review on this site is "fake" or has been made up. You are very mistaken, and are mischaracterizing the company, its leadership, its employees and its actions. It is difficult to begin to rebut your misleading and false characterizations. All we can say is your statements are simply not credible.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 17 Reviews