Graeters Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Richard Graeter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Pay is good, environment, free ice cream, great growth potential (in 19 reviews)

• There are perks to this job like free ice cream when you work (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Working with high school kids can be an adventure (in 4 reviews)

• The only con is you might get ice cream on your arms from scooping (in 4 reviews)

1. "Good Company, Great Product, Fun Work"

Former Employee - Team Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Team Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Graeters (More than a year)

Pros

- Their ice cream is some of the best in the country so it's very easy to stand by their product when you recommend it to customers
    - Customers are very loyal and like the company so the interactions were almost always positive
    - Generally fun people like to work there so it's usually a fun environment
    - A lot of staff that have been there from the beginning that truly love the work; they are great to learn from and work with

Cons

- because of turnover in management, sometimes communication is lost from corporate to team members. If you are in lower management, be proactive about learning about new products, promotions, or company changes so you don't accidentally miss something
    - free ice cream...you will gain weight unless you have self control! :)
    - You need to be able to keep up with the pace and the hours. It's a busy company at the store level and not for lazy folks. Plan on working hard. I enjoyed it but not everyone can handle the hours

Advice to Management

I think there could be some great, inexpensive leadership development training given to store managers regarding emotional intelligence, mentoring, etc. I thought upper management did a great job but the store managers could use some development and support that I think would equip them to lead their nuclear teams even better. I also think there are some ways to integrate compensation into higher performance for even the team members. One time I experimented with this concept and told my team that if they closed the store 15 minutes earlier than average, I would split my tips up with them. They totally rocked it! Not every manager does this but I wanted to see if the concept of striving for a reward would entice work ethic and it did. Had some other ideas but I think it's possible to implement some work/reward structures at the lower levels too! Good company, keep up the great work!

2. "Good First Job"

I have been working at Graeters part-time

Pros

Great hours, fun environment, easy work

Cons

Management can be strict

3. "Team member"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Graeters part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people who worked there

Cons

Everything else, it was a terrible job

"Manager - a bittersweet experience"

Former Employee - Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at Graeters full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The environment is for the most part a fun, positive, friendly, family oriented place. A good first time job. Teaches a lot of good skills to kids just starting out working. Some room for advancement in the company to and extent. Good discounts and free ice cream while working. This company created a special place in my heart.

Cons

The schedules are chaotic, especially for managers. Makes getting a good nights sleep impossible due to never having your body on a consistent sleep schedule. Managers are salary and expected to work at least 45 hours a week and it is not unusual at all to work more and since it is salary there is no extra compensation for working extra hours. Late nights, either 11pm or 12am (depends on day of the week and season). That is late for anyone, but especially for those in school who have to get up early. Managers are on call 24/7. Pay is not great for any level in the company, especially compared to work load. Managers have an extremely high expectations from corporate management, which sonetimes can be nearly impossible to meet under certain circumstances. Corporate members and the Graeter's family are very nice, but often times it feels like corporate does not understand employees have lives and families outside of work and the only thing that matters is the company and making money, not the employees and their quality of life while working there. Recently several managers have left due to these reasons. Corporate fails to recognize the stress and work load of the job and the low pay. They think everything is appropriate, but are really trying to get the most labor for the cheapest price out of employees and management. It gives employees the feeling of being used unfairly.

Advice to Management

Start keeping the lives of the employees in mind more. This is why the company is losing good managers lately and also employees in general who truly love the company, but cannot keep bending over backwards and working insane hours to meet expectations. The work load and stress level compared to the pay is not worth it. If hours were reduced and pay was increased that would be one of many things that could be done to keep managers around. I love this company, but there is a lot of room for improvement on how employees are treated. Happy and well taken care of employees will make a business be successful because they will be happy to do the work and go above and beyond if they are treated right. You get what you give.

5. "Ice Cream Scooper"

I worked at Graeters part-time

Pros

It was so much fun! Great people, great atmosphere.

Cons

None that I can think of.

6. "MANAGER"

I worked at Graeters full-time

Pros

Happy guests!
    It's a lot of first jobs for some and you get to help develop their base work ethic.
    Fair Pay.
    Free ice cream!
    Great amount of vacation days.

Cons

Long hours, late nights. Pay for team members. You are on call 24/7 for your whole team. Managers have to cover shifts for no extra pay if a team lead doesn't come to work. Working Christmas Eve.

7. "Worker"

Former Employee - Worker in Kenwood, Harrison, OH
    Former Employee - Worker in Kenwood, Harrison, OH

I worked at Graeters (More than a year)

Pros

The food, some of the people

Cons

Management and hiring tends to leave staff overworked

Advice to Management

Hire better employees and more of them

8. "Team Manager"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Kenwood, Harrison, OH
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Kenwood, Harrison, OH

I have been working at Graeters part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours and a good place to learn some basic management responsibilities

Cons

Working with high school kids can be an adventure

Advice to Management

For the amount of hours that Team Managers work and the duties that I do, pay should be a bit more.

9. "Easy job for a great hourly wage and wonderful coworkers."

Current Employee - Team Leader in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Graeters part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is not too much to learn, just flavors and how to make different sundaes. Lots of hours are available in the summer time, which is peak working time for students.

Cons

Long hours in the summer-- open until 11 so a typic shift is 8 hours that consists of constant customer appreciation.

"Good experience with local franchise, but it is not a place to pursue a career."

Current Employee - Team Leader in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Graeters (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours. Small company--easy to build personal relationships with higher-ups.
    You get back what you put in.

Cons

Very little room for advancement.
    Decisions made by HQ in Cincinnati can at times have a negative impact on regional franchises.

Advice to Management

Stricter adherence to/enforcement of labor laws (particularly regarding break times) for part-time employees.