Graeters Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Richard Graeter

"Great place for first employment"

Former Employee - Team Member in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Team Member in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Graeters part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great first employment experience. Very flexible with scheduling and overall fun work environment because co-workers are generally around the same age of 16-mid 20's.

Cons

The only con would be the monotonous work and difficulty moving up to a team manager position to obtain more responsibility, even after working there for an extended time.

Advice to Management

I advise to allow the opportunity for exceptional team members to gain more responsibility, if that is what they are looking for.

2. "Good experience with local franchise, but it is not a place to pursue a career."

Current Employee - Team Leader in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Graeters (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours. Small company--easy to build personal relationships with higher-ups.
    You get back what you put in.

Cons

Very little room for advancement.
    Decisions made by HQ in Cincinnati can at times have a negative impact on regional franchises.

Advice to Management

Stricter adherence to/enforcement of labor laws (particularly regarding break times) for part-time employees.

3. "Unaddressed Harassment"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Graeters part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get a good discount

Cons

There was a bully who never was reprimanded.

Advice to Management

When someone has multiple complaints of harassment against them let her go.

5. "Awful"

Current Employee - Team Member in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Team Member in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Graeters part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

10% off store items, free waters or cokes while working.

Cons

Busy busy busy, no time to get all the orders done, people are rude as hell if you don't get their ice cream fast enough, management isn't very helpful.

Advice to Management

Actually help and don't leave the new employees to fend for themselves.

"Highs and lows"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Graeters part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great first job. Working at Graeter's is a fun atmosphere and fast paced. There are perks to this job like free ice cream when you work. You get paid minimum wage plus some tips which is generally a few dollars per shift. This job is pretty flexible since most employees are high school and college students.

Cons

There a lack of communication. Management is oblivious to potential to move from a team member to a team manager. Depending on which location you work at, you may be taught more. I work at the largest store in the company and there is always a store manager and an assistant manager. Because of that, I have not been taught everything I should know for my position as a team manager (ordering product mainly).

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your potential leadership team. Don't assume they know exactly what you are thinking about their future with the company. Encourage and praise the entire team for the great work and success they bring the company

7. "Loved working here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

Pros

I loved working here. The people I worked with were entertaining and high energy and there was a good sense of community. People were willing to help out and cover shifts...and I got to eat a lot of ice cream.

Cons

The lines can get insanely long, especially in the summer which is hectic. And sometimes there are gross cleaning jobs.

Advice to Management

I found the management to be friendly and supportive. If you demonstrate your dedication as an employee they will be more understanding should something unexpected come up for you.

8. "Team Manager"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Graeters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility with the right manager. Typically a fun work environment. Full immersion environment when it comes to company knowledge and being in the know. Great first job with great opportunity to rise or just get basic experience. Being a small company, it is pretty easy to talk to higher ups if there is an issue. Seasonal or full time are always needed, so hours are pretty much guaranteed. Paid time off offered to those who are written in as fulltime employees. Ideal job for entry level job obtainers, such as high school students, college students who need more flexible times, or those who need something inbetween for experience.

Cons

The higher ups may not always listen to issues regarding issues within the store/company. Hiring from within is virtually non-existent which is discouraging to those who want to rise higher. Raises between Team Member to Team Lead, and from Team Lead to Team Manager is poor, considering what all the job entails, even if it is just an entry level job. Salary positions are no different. Due to the company still being so small, full-time benefits for hourly and salary employees are lacking.

Advice to Management

Account for what the job entails and pay accordingly. Competitive wage, if you will. Makes it easier to hire employees who want to stay within this slowly-growing company. Listen to more than just your store managers or leadership staff and encourage more interaction with the team members as well. Reasonably accommodate to the employees needs, from Team Member to Store Manager, and dont abuse the hours they can provide. Graeters may be a great job initially, but if you want to keep lasting employees, you need to not be so cheap regarding pay and staffing properly.

"Awesome Company to Work for"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Graeters full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

From top to bottom everybody treats you as an equal. Very family friendly, and they let you get creative with your store.

Cons

The communication could be better and there isn't much chance for advancement.

"team manager"

Former Employee - Team Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Team Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Graeters part-time

Pros

Store employees turned into family. Free ice cream and donuts. The work was not hard, there were times when there was little work to do so it was slow. The Graeter's family stops in frequently. Management who was not part of the Graeter's family did great in showing their appreciation for the work we did. They went out of their way to say thanks (buying us gift cards out of their own money, treating us to dinner, etc).

Cons

Pay is awful with little raises for those who worked longer. I worked at Graeter's for over three years and I only heard the Graeter's family say 'thank you' twice. They would come in and give you suggestions to improve the store but NEVER pointed out good things that was done. You never felt like you were doing a good job and never felt appreciated. However, the management who was not part of the family in general did great to say thank you and went out of their way to do so (see pros above). Schedule never stayed the same... One week I would work five nights, the other I would work two. High turn-over (mostly high school or college aged) makes it difficult to train new employees so often but still need to make the store look 'perfect'.

Advice to Management

Say Thank you more! We are the ones making you your money, so show us that you appreciate it!!!!

11. "Working in ice cream couldn't be sweeter"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Gahanna, OH
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Gahanna, OH

I worked at Graeters part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is good, environment, free ice cream, great growth potential

Cons

Seasonally dependent, managers are not always present or available