Gragg Advertising Account Executive Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 4 reviews

1.3
Gragg Advertising CEO Greg Gragg
Greg Gragg

"Smart Company - Poor Leadership"

I worked at Gragg Advertising full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Gragg knows digital. If you are looking to get experience in the digital arena you will definitely learn a lot, very fast. - Compensation and benefits are adequate and you will work in a great area. - The line associates are smart, fun and great to work with.

Cons

Employee turnover is alarming. The company will tell you this is common in the industry - it is not. In the 10 months I was there the average tenure of the client service team, excluding leadership, fluctuated between 7-9 months. This is disruptive to the client, training environment and overall morale. The executive team manages, they do not lead. Being unapproachable and intimidating while berating other... associates, entire departments as well as other members of the executive team are not traits of a true leader.

Advice to Management

I would encourage management to make a conscious effort to develop and retain employees. Losing quality associates is a detriment to client relationships and your overall bottom line. Also, the executive team should invest in management training for all those in leadership roles. Being smart and knowing the business does not necessarily qualify someone to lead others.

Gragg Advertising2014-07-16

"Pretty much as bad as you'd think it would be."

I worked at Gragg Advertising full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most (not all) of the department level managers are great people to work for. They will give you the guidance to further your career and if you prove you are ready for more responsibility there is always plenty of work to take ownership of.

Cons

Ownership doesn't have a clue what they are doing. They've managed to keep the company in business for over 20 years but that last few years have seen a lot of suffering. Somehow the CEO has managed to turn himself into nothing more than a sales guy again instead of actually leading and growing the company. He thinks turning his HR and Accounting departments into their own companies somehow qualifies him as a... successful businessman/entrepreneur. It does not. Turn-over was through the roof. Working there for over 2 years saw me rocket my way up the list in terms of seniority, and keeping track of the new people became an almost unmanageable task since a lot of employees worked there for 3-6 months before getting wise and moving on. They want to act like they have a terrific work atmosphere, and in all honesty it isn't bad, but any positive atmosphere is provided by the employees and their willingness to get together and socialize. Ownership on the other hand will hardly shell out any money to improve the atmosphere and couldn't even afford simple things like bagels or beer to boost moral. I'm all for working hard and proving your worth but in the case of Gragg it is a futile effort. I was able to move up a couple times but only due to never taking no for answer. Managers and directors will blame one another for your lack of a pay increase/promotion, when in reality they just want you to do the job without getting paid a competitive wage. The pay is low, some of the lowest i've seen and the benefits are even worse. They do pay for yoga or a gym membership but as far as healthcare and other benefits go, they are some of the lowest in the industry and region. They will spin tales to sell their fumbles as not being their fault but I would caution against believing any of it. In the last 3-4 months alone they have had to close the Crossfit gym that they owned and operated and they've had do a lot of last minute juggling to smooth over the fact that they failed to pay employees on pay day, twice. It isn't hard to read the writing on the wall that the place is going down at an alarming rate. I would avoid this place if at all possible and if you are currently there get out as quickly as possible. Lastly, most of the rumors and other rumblings about the company and how they behave themselves appear to be true. I can't personally attest to seeing much of this behavior but I heard enough stories from people I trust to not doubt a single one of them.

Advice to Management

Grow up and stop acting like a child making illogical and rash decisions. It's a company not a personal piggy bank. Take other peoples opinions into account instead of assuming whatever idea you came up with in your head is the best and only option.

Gragg Advertising2015-07-20

"Ugh."

I worked at Gragg Advertising full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed my co-workers. There are a lot of smart people working there. Unfortunately, they are poorly led. I should note that not ALL of the managers were poor.

Cons

Leadership. There is an inherent lack of a moral compass in management (sex with employees, lying to clients, yelling and demeaning employees). The culture will never change unless upper management changes.

Advice to Management

Pointless. They only care about what they think and aren't open to new ideas or change.

Gragg Advertising2014-01-26

"Overworked, Undertrained, Underpaid"

I worked at Gragg Advertising full-time for less than a year

Pros

Charity involvement, co-workers have decent work ethics (you have to to work here!), some free food, ongoing employee enrichment sessions, good introductory company training when starting about other groups. Central KC location in river market area is nice.

Cons

Turnover is AWFUL. There are a handful of core employees/management that has been there longer than a year. (And probably only because they don't have TIME to search for a different job) The majority of employees you ask have been there 3-6 months, which is probably the avg length of employment. They play the blame game and fire people regularly to blame people for mismanagement and understaffing. Employees are way... overworked, many working 50-60 hours a week regularly, and the pay scale does not back up those hours. While overall industry training is good, training for the actual job is virtually non-existent. You learn as you go, especially since there aren't many who know what they are doing around to train you, and the ones that do know don't have time because they are so overworked. People simply look exhausted here... Because they are. On their their "flagship" account and they give away their services at such a discount, that they operate with a skeleton crew to manage it which creates long hours and mistakes. The clients are allowed to be rude to gragg employees, even yelling and screaming at them on the phone or berating them in front of peers, and management allows it since they are desperate to keep the accounts. Upper management is awful, belittling employees in meetings in front of peers. They berate them and manage through embarrassment. They play the blame game a lot and throw each other under the bus regularly. Management regularly comes up with "special projects" with unrealistic deadlines and force employees to work over weekends and holidays to accomplish unreasonable tasks. Parking is awful. Often having to park a block or two away.

Advice to Management

The main problems are understaffing and turnover, each related to the other. Make sure employees are fully trained in their JOBS before expectations are made to do the actual job. Pay employees better and don't overwork them... This is a management issue. Need much better work/life balance. Treat employees respectfully and take their feedback to make the environment better. You will get more out of employees... who are happy. One of the worst work environments I have ever worked in.

Gragg Advertising2013-08-26