Gragg Advertising Reviews

Updated Dec 15, 2020

3.2
Gragg Advertising Chairman & CEO Greg Gragg
Greg Gragg
Pros
  • "Most (not all) of the department level managers are great people to work for(in 10 reviews)

• "They are involved in all forms of marketing so you learn a lot about how advertising channels work together(in 8 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Their high turnover rate reflects that(in 12 reviews)

• "There’s very little mentorship and upper management is rarely available(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Place To Learn and Grow

Dec 15, 2020 - Client Service Representative in Kansas City, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

I joined Gragg Advertising out of college and can honestly say it was the best move for my career. I have been at Gragg for 3+ years, in those 3 years i have been given plenty of hands on work experience, exposed to new opportunities, and have been able to grow in the company. The teams are full of great people who make working here very enjoyable and want to help each other out, which has always made me feel more connected to the company. The leadership has been excellent with how they treat the employees and how they create a positive work environment to learn and work in. I read on here someones opinion that Gragg did not handle the Covid-19 shut down correctly and i would like to say i strongly disagree. Upper management made the decision to keep everyone employed and receiving a paycheck instead of clearing house like many other companies chose to do. They handled the shut down appropriately by allowing everyone to work from home and slowly reintroducing the staff back into the office. Without Gragg's leadership, a large majority of us would have been laid off.

Cons

- Client's can be demanding at times which creates a challenge, but i don't know too many career choices where client's aren't. - The office is located downtown Kansas City in the River Market, so traffic can be annoying.

2. 1.0

Profit over People

Nov 18, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice location Can drink on the job

Cons

I'm not entirely sure where to begin or take this review. At the time I am writing this, more than 220,000 people in the US had died from COVID-19 and yet we were required to work in the office even though we were capable of working from home. When one of our own employees tested positive, we were still required to work in the office. The president of the agency more or less told us that if we did not like coming into the office, we could work on an exit strategy and that he had people "lined up" looking for employment. If you're blessed with a competent manager you'll suffer somewhat less, but if not, expect to do the work of a department head without the title, respect, or pay. You are required to answer your phone and email while on PTO. "That's how agency life is." I don't think I went three months at a time without having a full-on mental breakdown at my desk. When you tell your boss or the president of the agency that you are struggling, be prepared to be met with the following advice: "work longer hours," or "let's work on an exit strategy." I have worked at some terrible jobs before. But I could not run away fast enough from this one. But what do you expect from a company that values profit over people?

2 people found this review helpful
    3. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

don't fall for the fake reviews - stay far far away

Dec 7, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

- the coworkers are awesome and make working here bearable - PTO was generous - office location has tons of great lunch places nearby

Cons

- work life balance is non-existent; there were multiple times where we were contacted and expected to complete work while on PTO and their excuse was "that's just agency life" - work from home policy is non-existent. if it's snowing/raining/etc and you don't feel comfortable driving to the office, you'll be told to take PTO rather than work from home, despite the fact that this job can be done entirely from home. But even if you do take PTO, you'll still be contacted and expected to work. It doesn't make any sense... - management sets ridiculous expectations and then doesn't offer any form of support or resources to meet those expectations, setting you up to fail - no performance evaluations so it was impossible to tell if we were meeting expectations or see how we could improve the role - upper management micromanages and uses a fear-based leadership style, with an attitude of "if you don't like it, then leave" - nepotism is out of control, with family members in positions that they aren't qualified for - salaries are on the low end of the scale for the industry with little to no raises or bonuses, even for cost of living. - no opportunity for advancement - there's no formal training or on boarding process, it's very much self-led and learn on the fly - very high turnover rates

5 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Place to Start a Career

Jun 16, 2020 - SEO Specialist in Kansas City, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

On top of a spacious and clean work environment, Gragg Advertising has professional staff members that create a positive atmosphere. I was given a wonderful opportunity to work for one of the best SEO Managers in the country, and to learn about SEO in depth.

Cons

The only con about Gragg Advertising is the location. I live about 35 minutes away from Kansas City, and rush hour traffic can be very stressful. However, that should not take away from the amazing pros that Gragg Advertising has to offer.

5. 4.0

You Will Learn a Lot

Dec 20, 2019 - Account Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

At Gragg, you have the opportunity to learn as much as you want to. At such a small agency you will have the chance to work closely with each department. After leaving Gragg I had basic knowledge in Google Ads, Google Analytics, Ad Manager, Basecamp, CRM Management, etc... Gragg is a place that is what you make it, If you choose to only learn and do your own job, you may hit a ceiling early on, but if you are self motivated you will have plenty opportunities to continue learning. You will learn how to handle different personality types and how to communicate effectively with clients and internal personnel, skills you will be able to take with you throughout your career.

Cons

Lack of initial training when you begin can have you feeling overwhelmed and like you will never understand. Depending on your position work/life balance can be tricky.

Vice President of Social Media & Public Relations

Thank you for the insightful and helpful feedback. We agree the sky is the limit at Gragg when it comes to learning potential. We do our best to make sure all employees receive the appropriate training to ensure success but appreciate your feedback about how to improve the onboarding process.

6. 5.0

No Place Is All Bad

Dec 4, 2019 - SEO Strategist in Kansas City, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

The SEO manager, Chad, is fantastic! He is extremely knowledgeable, genuinely kind, and a great leader. He manages through positive reinforcement and doesn’t micromanage. Gragg is a very laid back place in general. There’s not a lot of red tape, which is great if you’re a self-starter who prefers a hands-on approach. The owner seems to have a poor reputation, but I never had a single negative experience with him. As others have said, they also have a great PTO policy. You accrue six hours every two weeks after your 90-day introductory period. I’m glad I trusted my gut about working for this company instead of listening to the horrible reviews online.

Cons

Most negative reviews seem to come from client services. I have worked in sales and customer service, and those are the most demanding areas of most any business.

Vice President of Social Media & Public Relations

Thank you so much for the comments and feedback! Chad is well-deserving of the "shout out." We work hard to ensure our client service team is top-notch and recently welcomed a former Gragg employee - and staff favorite - back to manage this department. We pride ourselves on knowing how to throw a mean party for our employees and will definitely not stop holding our BBQs, pancake breakfasts and epic Christmas parties! #GoWithGragg

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Staff and Management

Apr 13, 2020 - Digital Media Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

The staff is very talented and senior management has been very understanding and caring during the current pandemic. This has been a great work experience, environment, and fulfilling career move for me. Highly recommend Gragg Advertising!

Cons

Overtime hours is needed at times to meet client needs. However, it's rewarding and fulfilling to work with a group of dedicated co-workers who also put in the extra time to take care of our clients.

Vice President of Social Media & Public Relations

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! We value our employees and appreciate the extra effort shown to get the job done!

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Hands On Work Experience

May 7, 2020 - PPC Specialist in Kansas City, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great management Great CEO Handled the corona virus pandemic very well. Great office environment Tons of learning opportunities

Cons

Benefits could be a little better Could be expected to work more hours than normal

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Full Service - Fast Paced Advertising Agency

Oct 19, 2019 - Analyst in Kansas City, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Extremely knowledgeable leadership that shares Industry information with staff in weekly Graggrichment meetings. Advertising is a continuously evolving industry so it's great to have leadership that keeps us on the cutting edge. * All of my direct supervisors were professional, experienced, and quick to respond if needed. * I was able to work autonomously and as part of a team on many projects. * The people who work at Gragg are just the best and I loved working in the River Market! * You have the opportunity to cross train at Gragg and learn multiple skills! * The benefits package was very good including 401K options.

Cons

*You have to pay for parking, or use the commuter lot, but it's a small price to pay for a River Market dedicated parking spot.

Vice President of Social Media & Public Relations

We admit it - we have a fantastic ice machine!!! Your comments and feedback are very-much appreciated. We work hard to ensure our staff receives continuous training in all facets of Gragg's services and understand the latest marketing and advertising trends. We are proud of our managers and believe they are the best in the business in not only content-knowledge but staff management. We thank you for being such a dedicated employee!

10. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

There are consistently negative reviews for a reason

Aug 30, 2019 - Marketing in Kansas City, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Get the right manager and it’s bearable - You can drink on the job - If you’re desperate for work, they’re desperate for bodies - Great place to flub your way through learning - Depending on your department you can leave at a reasonable time, which is nearly unheard of in advertising * I feel obligated to add that I managed to dodge a lot of mistreatment and found little pockets of sunshine in this place, but the misery in other departments is very real, and it bleeds into everything.

Cons

- Toxic environment. Turnover is high and everyone in the office is *mostly* miserable - If you’re fresh out of college or new to the field you’ll feel like you’re flailing. There’s very little mentorship and upper management is rarely available. This creates a breeding ground for bad practice - Management encourages animosity between departments, lack of additional training fuels the fire

6 people found this review helpful

Vice President of Social Media & Public Relations

We are sorry to learn about your negative experience. We work hard to create a positive culture for all employees whether that be internal trainings, staff events (BBQs, volunteering, Christmas party) and rewarding hard work. We are happy many of our current and former staff have provided very positive comments about their experiences at Gragg. Unfortunately, this was not your experience, however we wish you all the best in your future professional endeavors.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 84 Reviews