Gragg Advertising Reviews | Glassdoor

Gragg Advertising CEO Greg Gragg
Greg Gragg

"Secrets Ga-Lore!"

I worked at Gragg Advertising full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Endless potential if they like you... But the titles become made up. Lots of opportunities to learn.

Cons

Secrets about everything, poor training, steal your PTO and still want you to work. Poor pay for the trade-offs you make in life to fulfill the work demanded. Always worried about what they're saying behind closed doors.

Advice to Management

More pay/PTO/work-life balance. Something needs to give.

Gragg Advertising2016-04-19

"An Awful Place to Spend 9-10 hours a day"

I have been working at Gragg Advertising

Pros

There are some nice people, but they're all miserable.

Cons

Horrible, negative environment. Everyone here is miserable. Communication is awful, both within departments and between. There's so much tension in the building it almost makes you want to throw up. There is a ton of turnover and management just shrugs it off.

Advice to Management

This place sucks. People hate working here. The negativity is flowing from the top down.

Gragg Advertising2016-04-21

"Good people, mediocre business"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Gragg Advertising full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a great place to get your foot in the advertising industry door. You'll work with some great people, most fresh out of college, so it's a young, fun group. There is adequate PTO, great parties, and you'll likely never be bored.

Cons

Highest turnover I've ever seen, including retail jobs. The company will do anything to keep a client, even if the relationship is no longer sustainable, but can't keep employees to save its life. The CEO throws childish tantrums regularly. Upper management has no idea what employees do on a day-to-day basis and will talk down to you whenever possible. The "benefits package" is laughable at best...you pay for... everything out of your own pocket, the company pays nothing. Salaries are quite low, especially just starting out.

Advice to Management

Realize when it's time to let a client go. If you don't like working with them, and they don't like working with you, it's ridiculous to expect your employees to bend over backwards to try to please them. Take advantage of the great people you have working for you and try to keep them on board as long as possible. The turnover there is not even close to being normal.

Gragg Advertising2015-12-18

"Mostly Positive"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Gragg Advertising full-time for less than a year

Pros

The environment is great. The staff is, with only a few exceptions, very friendly and fun. Management doesn't mind foul language so it's very laid back. Though I can't speak for others, the PPL department is well managed. Lots of employee raffles and giveaways that include Royals tickets or gift cards. Every major holiday is PTO and includes the day previous as a half-day.

Cons

The benefits package is less than satisfactory. Starting pay is quite low. A lot of people speak poorly of Greg Gragg, and make no mistake the man is eccentric, but I've rarely found him unreasonable.

Gragg Advertising2015-09-09
  5. "Account"

I worked at Gragg Advertising

Pros

Laid back, good community service projects

Cons

early morning training period not discussed in interview. Small room to grow

Gragg Advertising2015-09-10
  6. "Fun crowd"

in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Gragg Advertising

Pros

Coworkers were all really fun and the advertising industry has a great vibe

Cons

Internship wasn't paid but that's pretty standard these days

Gragg Advertising2015-09-08
  7. "its ok"

I have been working at Gragg Advertising full-time

Pros

nice pto package, decent workmates. Not really much to complain about as long as you get your work done all is well

Cons

pretty high turnover. not alot of communication between departments.

Gragg Advertising2015-08-24
  8. "Learn at a high cost"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Gragg Advertising full-time for more than a year

Pros

You would learn a lot at this job, but it does come at a high cost. It is very fast paced and you will not be bored.

Cons

The high turn over here and complete chaos result in so much energy being spent in the wrong areas. It is extremely frustrating, draining and at times abusive. It is definitely not for everyone. You have to decide whether it is worth all of the negatives to stay at this company. For most people it is not worth it.

Advice to Management

Take a look at the high turn over and learn from it. Don't try to spin it that this is normal, it isn't and the employees know it.

Gragg Advertising2015-07-16

"Pretty much as bad as you'd think it would be."

Former Employee - Account Executive in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Gragg Advertising full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most (not all) of the department level managers are great people to work for. They will give you the guidance to further your career and if you prove you are ready for more responsibility there is always plenty of work to take ownership of.

Cons

Ownership doesn't have a clue what they are doing. They've managed to keep the company in business for over 20 years but that last few years have seen a lot of suffering. Somehow the CEO has managed to turn himself into nothing more than a sales guy again instead of actually leading and growing the company. He thinks turning his HR and Accounting departments into their own companies somehow qualifies him as a... successful businessman/entrepreneur. It does not. Turn-over was through the roof. Working there for over 2 years saw me rocket my way up the list in terms of seniority, and keeping track of the new people became an almost unmanageable task since a lot of employees worked there for 3-6 months before getting wise and moving on. They want to act like they have a terrific work atmosphere, and in all honesty it isn't bad, but any positive atmosphere is provided by the employees and their willingness to get together and socialize. Ownership on the other hand will hardly shell out any money to improve the atmosphere and couldn't even afford simple things like bagels or beer to boost moral. I'm all for working hard and proving your worth but in the case of Gragg it is a futile effort. I was able to move up a couple times but only due to never taking no for answer. Managers and directors will blame one another for your lack of a pay increase/promotion, when in reality they just want you to do the job without getting paid a competitive wage. The pay is low, some of the lowest i've seen and the benefits are even worse. They do pay for yoga or a gym membership but as far as healthcare and other benefits go, they are some of the lowest in the industry and region. They will spin tales to sell their fumbles as not being their fault but I would caution against believing any of it. In the last 3-4 months alone they have had to close the Crossfit gym that they owned and operated and they've had do a lot of last minute juggling to smooth over the fact that they failed to pay employees on pay day, twice. It isn't hard to read the writing on the wall that the place is going down at an alarming rate. I would avoid this place if at all possible and if you are currently there get out as quickly as possible. Lastly, most of the rumors and other rumblings about the company and how they behave themselves appear to be true. I can't personally attest to seeing much of this behavior but I heard enough stories from people I trust to not doubt a single one of them.

Advice to Management

Grow up and stop acting like a child making illogical and rash decisions. It's a company not a personal piggy bank. Take other peoples opinions into account instead of assuming whatever idea you came up with in your head is the best and only option.

Gragg Advertising2015-07-20

"Lots of Opportunities"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Gragg Advertising full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Genuinely Invested Management -Friendly Co-Workers -Meaningful Work I was at Gragg for over a year and appreciated how much my managers worked with me to develop a career path to grow within the company. Entry-level employees actually have a voice that's heard by senior management, which was nice. Co-workers were helpful and made the atmosphere fun. There was almost always some random activity/pot luck... going on in different departments. Off-site volunteer events were scheduled regularly during business hours.

Cons

-Not your typical "advertising" agency with ping pong tables and a lounge. -Limited Parking

Advice to Management

Offer more interactive training opportunities for staff looking to grow professionally and understand their impact on the agency's "big picture".

Gragg Advertising2015-05-28