Graham Capital Management Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mr. Pablo Calderini

1. "OK place to work, limited career growth possible."

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Rowayton, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Rowayton, CT

I have been working at Graham Capital Management full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Gym is great, food is ok. Pretty flexible on getting my work done. Not a high pressure environment like other hedge funds I have worked at. Projects are kind of interesting and I get a lot of independence on them.

Cons

Location, upper management doesn't communicate what's going on with the firm, if you aren't a trader, you aren't anything, comp is average at best. Wish I didn't have to work on so many different things at once. Managers in my group seem pretty set in their jobs so no career growth possible.

Advice to Management

Talk to someone other than traders once in a while.

2. "Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Graham Capital Management (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. Great corporate culture as the founder has created an environment that is conducive to learning and getting work done.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you have been doing for the past 21 years.

"Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Rowayton, CT
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Rowayton, CT

I worked at Graham Capital Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful location overlooking LI sound, overall friendly employees, on-sight gym, good work-life balance.

Cons

Way too many to list: compensation is poor at best when compared to industry average, employees fully pay for their own vision and dental and 50% of medical, they are the only hedge fund I know that employees pay for their own meals, keep in mind this place has close to 10B AUM but treats employees like it has 10M and keeps cutting costs everywhere. Quite of few members of senior management (CFO) are spineless "yes" men who are clueless about the the groups they oversee and will not stand up for their team members, the majority of managers are overpaid for what they actually do (why do you think the majority never leave? Because they do nothing are are handsomely compensated to sit in their little offices) and many are in their positions solely because of their tenure and not their ability. No ability to grow unless someone above you leaves first. You will micromanaged from your first to your last day of employment there and will feel like you are in day care. Other than that it is a great place to spend your day....

Advice to Management

Get it together with compensation and realize that your "managers" are not the best choices you have available but are just complacent to come to work daily and be overpaid with no real feel of losing their job. Quite frankly some at best should be answering pgone

"Weak management"

I worked at Graham Capital Management full-time

Pros

Nice office and location. Somewhat convenient for train commuters (requires 5 minute cab ride). Provides onsite gym and cafeteria.

Cons

Very political. CTO doesn't care to interact with IT staff and head of development surrounds himself with yes men.

Advice to Management

Communicate more with staff and provide more transparency. Focus more on providing solid benefits and take care of your employees rather than cutting costs at the expense of hard working staff.

6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - IT/Developer in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - IT/Developer in Norwalk, CT

Pros

I have loved working here. Gradually I have been exposed to newer applications and I like the challenge of getting to learn new technologies in the Hedge fund world. Work life balance is very good when compared to similar companies in this industry. Experienced group of peers.

Cons

If you prefer working/living in the city check the commute.

7. "IT / Development"

Current Employee - IT Developer in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - IT Developer in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Graham Capital Management full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- great company to work for; beautiful work environment set in a grand castle on the water
    - on site gym and state of art training facility and flexible work hours
    - drama free / down to earth and very hands on management
    - ample opportunities to learn and grow career wise
    - friendly and supportive coworkers

Cons

- encourage more business exposure and development

8. "New Technology"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Norwalk, CT

Pros

Use a lot of new technology and learn a lot about finance. The software is always being updated and there are few legacy/bad projects any more. The team is constantly looking to improve the development cycle and work more efficiently.

Cons

Location for public transport. There are few close by lunch places.

9. "Good Firm"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Rowayton, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Rowayton, CT

I have been working at Graham Capital Management full-time

Pros

I have worked at several Wall Street firms and it is my opinion that Graham Capital is the best place I have worked. The management hierarchy is intentionally kept flat and the managers I have worked with are experienced and knowledgeable. The technology is up-to-date with the industry's leading best practices and has been interesting to work on.

Cons

The hedge fund business carries unique risks and rewards borne by all its members.

10. "Pleasant and quiet"

Former Employee - Portfolio Manager in Rowayton, CT
    Former Employee - Portfolio Manager in Rowayton, CT

Pros

In the discretionary PM dept people are courteous and there is great support from IT. PM's don't really share ideas (to avoid over correlation) but are affable.

Cons

Your employment future is tenuous since it depends almost as much on performance of existing managers as on your own. If they do badly then you may get the axe since you are new and have no "history" with them.

Advice to Management

Way too much fixed income emphasis - if bond vol dies then so will all prospect of earning any money for clients.

11. "Good Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rowayton, CT

I worked at Graham Capital Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location, Atmosphere and Learning Opportunities

Cons

Limited vertical opportunities. Departmental communications.