Grainger On Site Service Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 16, 2018

4.0
Grainger Chief Executive Officer  DG Macpherson
DG Macpherson
  1. "On site service representative"

Current Employee - On Site Service Consultant in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Grainger full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent personal life/work balance. Incredible leadership. Benefits package is great. I love the positive, close knit, team environment.

Cons

Constant change with technology can be a negative for some. Must have the ability to learn on your own/teach yourself the tools of the trade.

Grainger2017-07-02

"Onsite Service Representative"

Current Employee - On Site Service Consultant in Evansville, IN

I have been working at Grainger full-time for more than a year

Pros

Large Corporation with a small corporate feel. Big on work life balance and believes in developing their employees

Cons

Needs a better new hire setup. No specific design and support.

Advice to Management

Leadership is remarkable with great understanding and passion to help and develop.

Grainger2018-09-16

"Love at first sight... Turned into hatred every night."

Former Employee - On Site Service Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Grainger full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay, benefits, profit sharing, continuing education and development opportunities. If there are open positions, job advancement can be good.

Cons

Over-worked without concern by management, employee internal support was mediocre, and there were unrealistic goals in place (sales and strategic).

Advice to Management

When I began my career at Grainger, I absolutely loved the focus on customer service and was even proud to work for a company with such values. However, in the past 5 years, I have seen the company become exclusively driven by dollar amounts. While I understand the need to increase sales, reduce costs, and still deliver good service, I feel that the low-level (backbone) employees and customers are suffering greatly because of the need to line the pockets of executives with $100 bills. With all of that being said, I will say that I was happy to see the structural changes being made within the KS markets (although the timelines were a bit crazy). My advice would be to continue to see if the new strategies are in place before making a drastic change every year. How can you tell if the plan is working? I would also suggest to keep the values of your employees and customers in mind. Customer pricing can be ridiculous and the sales employee's sales goals seem out of reach. Just remember that everybody can easily view prices online through phones/computers. With the customer service quality suffering, from tired, disgruntled employees, the customers will not be willing to pay extra.

Grainger2016-06-09

"Onsite Service Consultant"

Former Employee - On Site Service Consultant

I worked at Grainger full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible schedule and access to great technology allowing you to do your job. Suppy chain and ability to deliver was strong. Benefits are above average

Cons

Constant restructuring and company seems to be more and more driven by the stockholders. Not much room for advancement without relocation

Advice to Management

dont stress and expect customer service from your employees when all resources used to provide that customer service have been taken away. What is Graingers competitive advantage?

Grainger2016-05-17

"Not the same company I joined almost a decade ago."

Current Employee - On Site Services Consultant

I have been working at Grainger full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Generous benefits and a good work-life balance. People in my role are provided a lot of great resources to deliver exceptional service to our customers in the field.

Cons

Current restructuring is leading to a lot of uneasiness and a lowering of morale across the board. My current role offers very little opportunity for advancement, where in the past it could branch into multiple operational or sales opportunities. Employee development, while touted highly internally, is a roll of the dice depending on how committed your supervisor is to assisting your development plan.

Advice to Management

Not really any advice, just a closing thought. Grainger employees have worked very hard to make the company what it is today. I know we have a responsibility to deliver results to our shareholders, but it feels like the culture has shifted dramatically in the past 12-18 months, and it seems like many good employees are wondering if they are valued anymore.

Grainger2016-01-25
  6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - On Site Service Consultant in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Grainger full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

It is a Very stable work environment with an inclusive culture. Good benefits and excellent paid time off starting off.

Cons

It is a typical big business that can move slow from time to time and sometimes things get lost in beurocies

Advice to Management

Lower to middle management stays connected while upper gets disconnected from everything.

Grainger2015-10-02

"On-Site Services"

Current Employee - On Site Service Consultant in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Grainger full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I love being out of the office, and at customer facilities without the stress of having to live by numbers like most sales representatives do. I have been able to cultivate great relationships with coworkers as well as customers, and Grainger is great to their employees. The health care, and retirement plans are far above average.

Cons

Not enough opportunities to transition into a corporate role from an operational role. I recently completed my degree, and the only way I'd be able to utilize my degree and stay with the company is to move to Illinois, which is hard to consider doing with a family and young children.

Advice to Management

Continue to be career driven in order to retain good employees. Continue to develop roles that may not necessarily be tied to an office so you can retain career employees who wish to leave an operational role.

Grainger2015-09-11

"Great company"

Current Employee - On Site Service Consultant

I have been working at Grainger full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great work environment Love working with coworkers Awesome benefits

Cons

Healthcare options are not great

Advice to Management

Change pay scale for positions

Grainger2015-07-29

"For now it's still a great company."

Current Employee - On Site Service Consultant

I have been working at Grainger full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good pay to start Great work life balance Profit Sharing Advancement opportunities are there if you're driven, but you have to be one of the boys.

Cons

Front line employees feel uneasy right now with a few layoffs and branch closings. Benefits are being cut a bit, but I'm sure more are coming. It used to at least feel like the employees came before shareholders

Advice to Management

Don't forget the "Employee Promise"

Grainger2015-05-07

"Use the experience, look for better pay elsewhere."

Former Employee - On Site Service Consultant

I worked at Grainger full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The profit sharing was the only reason I stayed.

Cons

Near the end of my career (I left of my own choosing), I had become very disenchanted with Grainger. It truly is a company of haves and have nots. There is a sense of entitlement among middle management and above, it's really truly striking. I worked with numerous account managers and all left within 2-3 years. Its true they will increase your yearly sales goal to something that's completely unattainable and unrealistic. The "good old boy network" is alive and well at Grainger. I had several managers tell me "the days working your way up are gone". You need to be in the same building as a DSM or other district manager to even have a shot at moving up... and then, why would you want to be an account manager if you're most likely going to be gone (or want to leave) in 2-3 years.

Advice to Management

Lose the sense of entitlement. Ask shareholders at the annual if they want either A) Employees advanced based off of "networking", OR 2) Employees promoted due to skill and what they've accomplished. Just ask them, see what they say, then do it. The company will be much better off.

Grainger2015-01-15