Grainger Sourcing Specialist Reviews | Glassdoor

DG Macpherson
  1. "Sourcing Specialist"

Former Employee - Strategic Sourcing Specialist in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Grainger full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people. Corporate company that felt like family. Work life balance was good. As well as the benefits offered.

Cons

Allowed decreasing stocks dictate the future of the company. Outsourced most of the Sourcing department to another country (and downsized many other departments) without realistic plan in place. Did give ample time to laid off employees to find other employment opportunities.

Grainger2019-08-01

"10 years over with a quiet thud"

I worked at Grainger full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good facilities, pay, work/life balance respected

Cons

mass layoffs, outsourced jobs to Panama

Advice to Management

I was laid off and asked back a month later. Sometimes I wish I had, but decided I didn't want to life with a surprise wave of layoffs looming over my head.

Grainger2018-08-09

"Sourcing Specialist"

Current Employee - Sourcing Specialist in Lake Forest, IL

I have been working at Grainger full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice place to work.

Cons

The company has constant layoffs.

Grainger2018-06-27

"BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER MADE!! No security . Poor Management. Do Not work here!!"

Current Employee - Sourcing Specialist in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Grainger full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent Pay, benefits and Paid Time off. Good Long term plan if they keep you.

Cons

No job security. Management is condescending. They are an insult to your intelligence. They will pursue you hard for an opportunity and instead of hiring contractors like they should they promise you a job but will cut your position after less than six months then send an email about how change is good?!?!? If you hire someone and five months later lay them off, fire the person or manager who said you needed the people. They either know what they're doing or they're incompetent. I think both. BIGGEST MISTAKE I EVER MADE!!!! DO NOT RISK IT!!!

Advice to Management

Retire. Move on. Go back to School. You have no idea how to run a business. You use people and throw them away. You should be ashamed of yourself. You disgust me.

Grainger2017-10-24

"Company going in wrong direction"

Current Employee - Sourcing Specialist in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Grainger full-time for less than a year

Pros

The benefits are still ok, but not like they used to be.

Cons

Salary, location, management, moving a lot of jobs out of the country.

Advice to Management

Quit micro-managing your people so much that they want to quit. It's always been bad, but it is steadily getting worse and worse. Make your people happy and your customers will be happy.

Grainger2017-08-25

"Sourcing specialist"

Former Employee - Sourcing Specialist in Lake Forest, IL

I worked at Grainger full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people and benefits. Can learn a lot if you know the right people.

Cons

Poor SR leadership, no accountability held on people implementing poorly planned objectives, bad moral. Promotions are pretty much all political. It's not what you know but who you know.

Advice to Management

Lose the CEO. He was the man who made the company what it is today! Poor pricing structure, bad investments and overall poor performance of the company. Lots of good people that made Grainger what it was are being forced out for cost savings. Your replacements ( mostly lower paid college kids) will never be able to recover Grainger to what it was. Go back to the drawing table and weed out your poor leaders

Grainger2017-08-31
  7. "Sourcing Specialist"

I worked at Grainger full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good people to work with, benefits, vacation time built up, profit sharing and now a 401k plan. Good at work-life balance, as long as your manager also has a family (if they don't, they will be hard to understand your family needs).

Cons

Training is not that great to learn the job. Trying to move to another department is tough. It is all about who you know, not what you know or how well you do in your interview. There are some very good managers and some managers that do not know how to manager people at all. Also, there are a lot of jobs that have moved to other countries, thus a lot of layoffs having been happening over the last few years and probably will continue. ----- The benefits are slowly shrinking over the course of time I was there. In my opinion, if Grainger were smart, they would go to only a 401k plan instead of having both a profit sharing plan and a 401k plan. That way if someone leaves, they won't have to pay out the company portion because the company match in the 401K plan gets deposited on each paycheck every two weeks. If the person no longer works there, the company match stops. The profit sharing plan company money goes in on one lump sum deposit. It doesn't matter if the person leaves or not (if they have already met the requirements of the profit sharing plan first - the money still gets deposited even if the person has already left the company).

Advice to Management

Respect people. I don't think there is a lot of respect for employees, but what do I know? I was never in a type of position to really make a difference, while I worked at Grainger.

Grainger2017-08-30

"Terrible management"

Former Employee - Sourcing Specialist in Lincolnshire, IL

I worked at Grainger full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Profit sharing was the only good thing about them when I left.

Cons

Don't care about seasoned employees You are just a number Management in sourcing is horrible (tarj) Benefits are terrible Pay is lower than everywhere else.

Advice to Management

Learn to treat people better

Grainger2017-03-19

"OutSourced"

I worked at Grainger full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great retirement and health benefits

Cons

Grainger has been outsourcing several corporate positions to Panama.

Advice to Management

If you are outsourcing more positions, please develop a smooth process for the impacted employees. I found the process to be disorganized and without compassion.

Grainger2017-01-23

"Going overseas"

Sourcing Specialist in Lincolnshire, IL

I worked at Grainger

Pros

Not many left. Leadership reduced PST, which was the only good program they offered. When a company continues to take and not give back, it's a bad sign.

Cons

Business is going to Panama. Rather than be a leader in the MRO industry, Grainger is a follower. Promotions are few and far between, unless you are related to someone at the corp. office.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees about the future.....rather than lay them off and re-org every 15 months.

Grainger2016-03-21