Grammarly Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.3
Brad Hoover

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Big Impact and Big Commitment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Grammarly full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We're helping people all over the world communicate better. That's something that we can all be really proud of. The product is awesome, and our potential for continued innovation has no limit. It's not just a grammar checker. It helps people write correctly and effectively. Also, the addressable market is huge - 2 billion people. Our leadership team is accessible, driven, and focused. They care deeply about the success of our team because that translates directly to the success of our company. I was amazed to find out that they not only developed the content for our training programs but they lead them as well. That's the kind of leadership investment in people that you rarely see in other companies. We have a team of committed, passionate, and super smart people. Even though we're many time zones apart between San Francisco and Kyiv, magic happens every day. Well, I guess it's not magic because we're all working our tails off. But it feels like magic!

Cons

We put in a lot of hours and a lot of ourselves. It's a big time/life commitment, but to me, it's worth it because we have a huge opportunity to make a huge impact on the world. It's also a challenge to find high-caliber people, so it takes a long time to fill our open roles.

Advice to Management

Continue personal investments in people development and product innovation.

"Awesome Startup with Not-So-Awesome Work/Life Balance"

I worked at Grammarly full-time

Pros

Awesome company, co-workers, and product; leadership is not afraid to support creative and experimental ideas.

Cons

Doesn't promote a great work/life balance, not very friendly to women.

Advice to Management

Trust the people you hire!

Grammarly Response

Feb 17, 2017 – CEO

This is helpful feedback, thank you. Grammarly has a unique opportunity to help people worldwide improve their communication. This is a challenging goal that requires hard work, among other things... More

"Difficult work environment for getting stuff done"

I have been working at Grammarly full-time

Pros

Employees are very nice and want to see the company succeed
    Product is valuable and not just a random me too silicon valley startup
    Marketing is very strong and thoughtfully pushes for growth

Cons

Below market pay thats branded as above market pay - very weird!
    Split team means a very distinct culture and no coherent standards
    Lot of theoretical conversation about values without clear accountability
    Poor work life balance with very stringent hours

Advice to Management

Be more transparent and acknowledge key weaknesses in the business and action on them

Grammarly Response

Dec 21, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for your feedback. I'm also proud of our team's accomplishments, including our product and growth. These don't come easily, requiring a high level of commitment and impact from every team... More

"Mixed Bag"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Grammarly full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Grammarly has a lot of things going for it. I spent a lot of time in both offices and had some good experiences and got perspective.

Team: A lot of dedicated individuals who want to build a good product and are friendly and willing to help, welcoming atmosphere, positive attitudes even when people are frustrated

Product: Interesting product to use and build with big user base, clear sense that users actually benefit from the service

Company: Bootstrapped, financially healthy, and growing

Career: Opportunity to grow and learn a lot if you are aggressive and in the right position, opportunity to make a good position for yourself if you are skilled and motivated

Perks: Reasonable number of perks that includes free food, training, paid conference attendance

Cons

Management: The tech world is a minefield of bad management, and Grammarly is no exception. Top management is obtuse and sometimes insensitive, particularly regarding women. Feedback to management is encouraged in words but not in action. My feeling is that they do not listen/respond to people except close, trusted advisers or highly-valued employees (developers). Feedback from management is often not meaningful (we like what you do, but you could maybe not take so many days off). Although it is not discussed very openly, there is a clear sense that top management plays favorites.

Offices: The norm of 10 or 12 hours in SF is beginning to relax, but many people still believe that staying long hours in the office is the only way to be appreciated. This is bad for morale and the company. People who work effectively in limited hours should be rewarded, and people who stay in the office forever should not be held up as an example. The CEO spends all of his time at work, which makes people uncomfortable. Employees/team leads are not empowered to make decisions about managing their own time. Both offices are overcrowded, but WFH is strongly discouraged. The search for a new office in Ukraine has been going on for at least one year. This is bad for productivity. Finally, we have a big time difference between offices that makes it difficult to coordinate. It used to be common for people to visit between offices, but this does not happen anymore.

Career: Many salaries, especially in the SF office, are well below market. The company has become reliant on importing developers from Ukraine via H1B to make up for lack of hiring in SF. We hired two engineers in SF for the past four years. We behave like we are special enough to attract people at lower pay, but that is obviously not the case. I guess we will not be able to scale efficiently if we do not fix this problem. Some people develop a lot and some do not. I guess that if top management likes you (and especially if you are a developer) the opportunities are much better. There is not a clear way to become better, so you just have to find your own way. It can be good for some people, but I don’t think it can work if the company really grows.

Advice to Management

In general, I think top management needs to step back and delegate more. If they are not comfortable with this, they should hire the right people. Focus more on people development and process development. We need some people who are good with conflict resolution and problem-solving among employees. I also think we must change the hiring strategy. Either focus more on development in Ukraine or hire more junior people in the SF office who can take less pay and be willing to learn. Finally, focus more on connecting the two offices. Regular visits would be nice, especially for teams or people who work together.

"An opportunity to grow with a great team"

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Grammarly full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Grammarly has been a great working experience that has pushed me to grow personally and professionally. I get to work with experts in their fields, our top management have successful startup & tech track record, and I am challenged to grow everyday.

- Motivating company mission
    - High investment in individual development and accountability
    - Lots of freedom to experiment and design your role
    - Strong focus on metric-driven goals
    - Healthy, bootstrapped company growth
    - Team is best in class, hardworking, and easy to work with
    - Colleagues are people I meet up with outside of work
    - Great team events

Cons

- Work 50-60 hours/week without WFH
    - Limited perks due to being bootstrapped
    - Lack of internal expertise in your particular field
    - Two offices in different time zones means you need an earlier routine to maximize overlap

Advice to Management

Keep investing in people's individual development and building this great team environment. Create more opportunities to connect with the team in the other office.

"The company to stay challenged and make the world a better place!"

Current Employee - Head of Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Head of Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Grammarly full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The team. High emphasis on the team communication and development. Grammarly provides in-house and external training sessions.

Autonomy. I believe it is important to leverage your own brainpower when working on the project. Our values provide this kind of environment. BTW, everyone at Grammarly is always happy to help with the challenges along the way.

Company off-sites.

Every year we are off to explore a new place on the map. We collaborate, have fun, fire the water guns and get to know each other even better. No doubt you will enjoy the getaways and make new friends among the teammates.

Compensation.

Grammarly provides above the average salary rates, health insurance benefits, and interoffice travels.

Cons

From time to time, there may not be enough collaboration time between San Francisco and Kyiv offices due to zones difference.

"Bad Management Harms Company and Employees"

I have been working at Grammarly full-time

Pros

The employees are enthusiastic about the work, the company has good perks, and the product is interesting and useful for customers.

Cons

One office is noisy and chaotic. We are promised a new office space but so far nothing. The business model is questionable. Focus has changed from conversions to user acquisition, which creates a dilemma for marketing and product. Successful products have been shelved because of delayed development and release of the main browser extension, so focus moves from things that are working to things that are not. Communication between teams and offices is labored. Management across teams is inconsistent. General management is usually counter-productive. The CEO is a micro-manager who has a poor grasp of detail. Nearly all of the people who work directly with the CEO end up switching managers or leaving the company, but the CEO still has broad managerial and hiring responsibilities. This creates a lot of friction and mistrust, making it difficult to improve the processes of the company.

Advice to Management

Create a separate function for HR and hiring. The current system functions poorly, and employees do not have faith in the management. Set realistic expectations about work and work culture. Admit the limitations of working with two offices because these problems are not going away. Take accountability for delays and failures instead of making excuses.

"Awesome team + product"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- Incredibly talented, smart, and passionate team
    - A lot of room for personal growth and encouragement to act on and take ownership of ideas
    - A product that is truly helping people

Cons

The benefits are good, but they aren't as "luxurious" as those offered by some other startups. This matters more/less to different people, but it's worth pointing out for the sake of transparency.

"A Nurturing Environment with a High Bar"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Grammarly full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My experience thus far at Grammarly has been overwhelmingly positive. There is a great deal of care given to hiring the right people and making sure they are a culture fit and once you're a part of the team it really feels like a family. It's a privilege to work directly with so many different teams and functions and to have each project provide direct impact to our users. Professional development, autonomy, and encouragement are all prioritized in what is still a very intimate group.

Cons

+ Not a huge suite of benefits, though they are commensurate with current size and profitability
    + Work-hour commitment at the office (WFH is discouraged) has a higher bar than previous jobs I've had

Advice to Management

Keep proactively communicating around strategy and growth to make scaling sustainable and to keep retention high.

"General management"

I have been working at Grammarly full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meaningful mission I can relate to. Great team of very talented and driven coworkers. Focus on professional growth. Difficult challenges and bold experiments. Relative freedom to do what you do best.

Cons

Intense culture focused on performance and results sometimes can get overwhelming. Long hours. Basically, you'd come there for growth, learning and proving yourself, potentially at expense of lifestyle.