Grammarly Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 13, 2017

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Brad Hoover

1. "Big Impact and Big Commitment"

I have been working at Grammarly full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We're helping people all over the world communicate better. That's something that we can all be really proud of. The product is awesome, and our potential for continued innovation has no limit. It's not just a grammar checker. It helps people write correctly and effectively. Also, the addressable market is huge - 2 billion people. Our leadership team is accessible, driven, and focused. They care deeply about the success of our team because that translates directly to the success of our company. I was amazed to find out that they not only developed the content for our training programs but they lead them as well. That's the kind of leadership investment in people that you rarely see in other companies. We have a team of committed, passionate, and super smart people. Even though we're many time zones apart between San Francisco and Kyiv, magic happens every day. Well, I guess it's not magic because we're all working our tails off. But it feels like magic!

Cons

We put in a lot of hours and a lot of ourselves. It's a big time/life commitment, but to me, it's worth it because we have a huge opportunity to make a huge impact on the world. It's also a challenge to find high-caliber people, so it takes a long time to fill our open roles.

Advice to Management

Continue personal investments in people development and product innovation.

"An opportunity to grow with a great team"

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Grammarly full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Grammarly has been a great working experience that has pushed me to grow personally and professionally. I get to work with experts in their fields, our top management have successful startup & tech track record, and I am challenged to grow everyday.

- Motivating company mission
    - High investment in individual development and accountability
    - Lots of freedom to experiment and design your role
    - Strong focus on metric-driven goals
    - Healthy, bootstrapped company growth
    - Team is best in class, hardworking, and easy to work with
    - Colleagues are people I meet up with outside of work
    - Great team events

Cons

- Work 50-60 hours/week without WFH
    - Limited perks due to being bootstrapped
    - Lack of internal expertise in your particular field
    - Two offices in different time zones means you need an earlier routine to maximize overlap

Advice to Management

Keep investing in people's individual development and building this great team environment. Create more opportunities to connect with the team in the other office.

"The company to stay challenged and make the world a better place!"

Current Employee - Head of Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Head of Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Grammarly full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The team. High emphasis on the team communication and development. Grammarly provides in-house and external training sessions.

Autonomy. I believe it is important to leverage your own brainpower when working on the project. Our values provide this kind of environment. BTW, everyone at Grammarly is always happy to help with the challenges along the way.

Company off-sites.

Every year we are off to explore a new place on the map. We collaborate, have fun, fire the water guns and get to know each other even better. No doubt you will enjoy the getaways and make new friends among the teammates.

Compensation.

Grammarly provides above the average salary rates, health insurance benefits, and interoffice travels.

Cons

From time to time, there may not be enough collaboration time between San Francisco and Kyiv offices due to zones difference.

"Awesome team + product"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- Incredibly talented, smart, and passionate team
    - A lot of room for personal growth and encouragement to act on and take ownership of ideas
    - A product that is truly helping people

Cons

The benefits are good, but they aren't as "luxurious" as those offered by some other startups. This matters more/less to different people, but it's worth pointing out for the sake of transparency.

"A Nurturing Environment with a High Bar"

I have been working at Grammarly full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My experience thus far at Grammarly has been overwhelmingly positive. There is a great deal of care given to hiring the right people and making sure they are a culture fit and once you're a part of the team it really feels like a family. It's a privilege to work directly with so many different teams and functions and to have each project provide direct impact to our users. Professional development, autonomy, and encouragement are all prioritized in what is still a very intimate group.

Cons

+ Not a huge suite of benefits, though they are commensurate with current size and profitability
    + Work-hour commitment at the office (WFH is discouraged) has a higher bar than previous jobs I've had

Advice to Management

Keep proactively communicating around strategy and growth to make scaling sustainable and to keep retention high.

"All the pros of a start-up with none of the cons"

Current Employee - Online Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Online Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I've been at Grammarly for over two years now and fully expect to be here for many more. To me, it's the perfect blend of a fast-paced, autonomous, start-up environment with none of the usual drawbacks of investor dependence (we're bootstrapped), instability, and lack of resources.

Contributing to something that creates genuine value was something I longed for at every other company I've worked at. When you tell people you work at Grammarly, more often than not you'll get a burst of excited "I use that every day!" and "It's saved me from so many embarrassing situations."

Perhaps the most important reason I hope to be here for very long are the people. I feel privileged to work with and learn from a team of smart, engaged, warm, and helpful coworkers.

Cons

Due to the time difference between our two offices (Kyiv and San Francisco), I've had to master the personal challenge of becoming a morning person. That and having a lot of calls with the team in Kyiv every morning is something that takes some getting used to. The upside is that I've learned to work with people with very different cultural backgrounds.

Advice to Management

In our quest to only hire the best and brightest, we end up sometimes taking a while to fill important roles. The end result is getting to work with a team of incredible people, but perhaps there is a way to accomplish both hiring the best and doing it in a time-efficient manner.

"Grammarly is golden"

Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Grammarly full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The lines between work and play become blurred when you find yourself working with a team that knows how to do both, with passion. For the past few months at Grammarly, I've worked harder than I've ever worked, but never had so much fun in the process!

Cons

The hours are long. But, if building a consumer product company were easy, everyone would do it!

"Grammarly truly puts its people first"

Current Employee - Director, Online Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Online Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Grammarly full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Grammarly provides an environment that enables you to maximize your strengths, pursue your passions and develop intellectually, all while building a fantastic product that noticeably improves people's lives.

Here, you find yourself amongst creative, dedicated individuals, who all work tirelessly in pursuit of our common mission -- perfecting written English for the 1b+ English writers around the world!

Cons

You will sometimes find yourself working late into the evening, or over the weekend, but your effort is always widely recognized and rewarded

"Successful Silicon Valley Startup Dedicated to Perfecting Written English"

Current Employee - Director of Communications in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Communications in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Grammarly full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Grammarly has ambitious plans to perfect all written English for the world’s 1+ billion English speakers. It is a small, but exceptional, team with a passion for life and language, impeccable technical skills, and tremendous drive. Our San Francisco headquarters is centrally located in a shared office space replete with startups, and our vacation plan and benefits are very competitive.

Cons

Growing companies typically experience "growing pains," but Grammarly seems to defy this precedent. The management team is cohesive and open to feedback, but with a very clear vision for the company's future. As a result, all team members work long hours (with pleasure!) to realize these impressive goals. We truly feel like we are a part of something special.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! It is really special to work at a company where you feel like your ideas are heard and appreciated. Grammarly's management team truly knows what they are doing. They get along great and encourage new ideas and processes.

"General management"

I have been working at Grammarly full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meaningful mission I can relate to. Great team of very talented and driven coworkers. Focus on professional growth. Difficult challenges and bold experiments. Relative freedom to do what you do best.

Cons

Intense culture focused on performance and results sometimes can get overwhelming. Long hours. Basically, you'd come there for growth, learning and proving yourself, potentially at expense of lifestyle.