Grand Canyon University Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Grand Canyon University CEO Brian Mueller
Brian Mueller
Cons
  1. "This is the best job I've ever had!"

Current Employee - University Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time for less than a year

Pros

Absolutely love working for GCU. You have so many days off half days that are paid, the corporate culture is great, there is a lot of pressure to meet deadlines but the pay and benefits are phenomenal.

Cons

I haven't encountered any cons yet.

Grand Canyon University2019-04-13

April 23, 2019Talent Acquisition Analyst

Happy to hear! We are happy to know that you enjoy GCE’s competitive benefits package and the work you are part of!

2. "Amazing Company! Higher Management Shortsighted."

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Incredible company to work for, and I am so proud to have worked for GCU. The benefits are amazing (free-discounted degrees), and the travel opportunities are immense. Company culture is incredible and the group of employees you work with become your friends for years to come.

Cons

Unfortunately all good things must come to an end at some point. I worked on the traditional ground campus, and with the changes in higher management, this did not benefit the employees. Strong employees left because they were being measured against "numbers" without actually valuing the employee. Extremely short sighted.

Advice to Management

Your employees are more than numbers. Stop playing with people's livelihoods. Trust and show them respect.

Grand Canyon University2019-09-20
  3. "Great opportunity to support others!"

Current Employee - Site Supervisor in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Grand Canyon University part-time for more than a year

Pros

Professional development keeps up with current trends in your content.

Cons

I have no cons to add.

Grand Canyon University2019-09-10
  4. "Good place to work. Terrible pay."

Current Employee - Online Adjucnt Faculty in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University part-time for more than a year

Pros

Faculty care about students. High quality programs. Efficient management that didn't micro manage.

Cons

Heavy work load. Very low pay. Teaching a 2 month course with 15-19 students pays about $1500.

Advice to Management

A christian institution should pay its adjuncts a fair wage - at least the national average. The online faculty many times have doctoral degrees with years of experience but make little more than minimum wage for the time they put in. It is SHAMEFUL. My home institution pays double what GCU does for the same size class. I'm not going to be slave labor any more. I love the students but I have to provide form my... family too!

Grand Canyon University2019-09-21
  5. "Not a bad student job"

Former Employee - Tech Support in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University part-time for more than a year

Pros

Creating a schedule, working around classes, and getting time off was incredibly easy. A handful of certain managers and supervisors really cared about the students working.

Cons

Middle aged online students are often times terrible to work with. Incredibly frustrating some days, you must have thick skin. I cried while on the job at least 2 or 3 times in one year due to how vicious some students can be.

Advice to Management

Good job.

Grand Canyon University2019-09-03
  6. "Dynamic Workplace"

Current Employee - Family Nurse Practitioner

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time

Pros

Excellent culture, more time with patient, variety of experiences, flexibility, vested interests and values for higher education, tuition assistance...to name a few.

Cons

Low pay for market, many “extra” work duties in addition to clinic duties, “growing pains” of growing clinic,

Grand Canyon University2019-08-31
  7. "Decent Job"

Current Employee - Student Services Counselor

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work-life balance is good No commissions but work-from-home ability is easy to obtain Promotion opportunities are vast

Cons

Not a very Christian-based work environment

Grand Canyon University2019-09-06
  8. "Terrible support from faculty development"

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Faculty development and the university put out a good amount of training. You can accept as many or as few courses to teach as you want.

Cons

When faculty development puts out mandatory training, there's almost always some issue or another. And, whenever you have an issue, and you email or call faculty development, it goes in a big black hole. Never ever received a response to the dozens of emails and calls made.

Advice to Management

Get organized about faculty. Don't make is so complicated if you're already faculty to add courses to the list you can teach. It should be automatic... if you have the background/required education, don't make it so hard to pick up other courses/colleges. Pay a fair wage. The wages, for the hours put in, and the expectations of the instructors is insulting.

Grand Canyon University2019-08-21

August 28, 2019Talent Acquisition Analyst

Thank you for your review. If you have additional details, we would like to hear from you at Feedback@gcu.edu so we can share them with Faculty Development.

9. "Great place of employment and good benefits"

Former Employee - Mail Carrier

I worked at Grand Canyon University part-time for less than a year

Pros

It was great, I had an awesome experience

Cons

My job was low level

Grand Canyon University2019-08-06

August 9, 2019Talent Acquisition Analyst

We are glad you had an awesome experience while working at GCU. Thank you for your review.

10. "Office assistant"

Former Employee - Student Worker

I worked at Grand Canyon University part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible scheduling, fairly easy job

Cons

Bad communication, lots of downtime

Grand Canyon University2019-07-26

August 5, 2019Talent Acquisition Analyst

GCU is glad your time as a student worker was a positive experience. Our Student Workers play a crucial role in the success of our University! Thank you for your review.

Found 687 reviews