Grand Canyon University Reviews | Glassdoor

Grand Canyon University CEO Brian Mueller
Brian Mueller

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Would not recommend."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of PTO, good tuition benefits.

Cons

GCU rarely promotes from within, and new (GCU) graduates are often hired over tenured employees for promotions. Very high turnover rates, and upper management is not receptive to feedback. Work-life balance is difficult.

Advice to Management

Respecting your employees goes a long way!

"Almost five years, then poof....."

Former Employee - Database Administrator in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, working with generally good people, really appreciate the Christian emphasis.

Cons

Expected to retire from GCU, then got 'Reduction-in-Forced' after almost five years. No real warning. Found a new job at higher pay shortly after.

Advice to Management

Just because someone's a bit older than the rest of the team, that doesn't make them less capable than the rest of the team.

"Don't Work for Grand Canyon online"

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Grand Canyon University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The fact that school is a Christian University is great. I enjoyed sharing my love of Jesus with my students.

Cons

The school's rigor is poor. I was simply horrified with some of my on-line masters-level students' writing ability., and when you point out these deficits, the students try to engage you in a verbal altercation asserting that no other professor has ever commented on the issue.

In addition, some of my 12th grade students have better writing skills than Grand Canyon's masters-level students. I found this highly discouraging, and I decided that I do not want to be a part of university with such low standards.

In addition, sadly, most of my students at Grand Canyon were teachers.

Advice to Management

Please work to make your on-line program more rigorous.

4. "online fulltime instructor"

Former Employee - Online Instructor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Online Instructor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Medium pay with benefits, good coworkers.

Cons

oppressive work environment, no academic freedom -- it is like working in a call center not an university.

"Nightmare of emplyer"

Current Employee - Level III in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Level III in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible time to use and hours to work.

Cons

Managers and seems to be high turnover. University claims to be “Christian” but manager refused to provide support or feedback other than demeaning.

Advice to Management

Stop being angry and listen to the teams.

"Pyramid Scheme"

I worked at Grand Canyon University part-time

Pros

Nothing at all, nothing. Really. Avoid this place.

Cons

This corporation is just that - a corporation. The first concern in with enrolling as many students as possible and keeping them enrolled and moving slowly through the program so that they keep paying. They accept anyone into their doctoral programs that applies - anyone. They put them in online courses for years where faculty are pressured to keep them happy rather than ensure they learn. Many of these students are very under prepared for the demands of graduate work. Once the courses end and it is time for them to work on the dissertation, they encounter high expectations for the quality of their work. Most cannot meet those expectations and spend months to years trying while spending more money on required enrollment. Few actually graduate. Those that do graduate, I imagine can only find work with the degree at other for-profit schools, making the organization seem like an elaborate pyramid scheme.

Advice to Management

close down

7. "Unethical and unscrupulous practices in the enrollment department."

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time

Pros

Nursing program is fairly decent.

Cons

Deceitful, yet well hidden, practices required for employees to meet enrollment goals. Very good at circumventing regulation and laws.

Advice to Management

Boasts about being a Christian school but doesn't model the way.

8. "Dissertation Chair"

Current Employee - Dissertation Chair in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Dissertation Chair in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None, unless you are in dire straights.

Cons

Unethical, diploma mill, very low quality students, disgraceful.

Advice to Management

Hope you do not get audited, you will lose accreditation.

"Avoid"

Former Employee - Public Safety Officer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Public Safety Officer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tuition and benefits. A nice campus even if it is in a horrible area.

Cons

An absolute mess. The department is a cluster with horrible management that is still lingering from the previous "Chief". HR has had tons of complaints but fails to do their job and take action.

Pay is garbage for the work that you have to do. Guys have to work out in the heat all day and get chewed out over little things.

The "Police" and Public Safety are still on bad terms and nothing has been done to fix it.

Every other department has tons of nice carts, but Public Safety has busted carts that take forever to get fixed, if they even do. We are a 24/7 operation and need mobility, but management fails to acknowledge that.

There are a lot more cons, including the other departments treating ours like absolute dirt and the politics of working at a FOR PROFIT school, but that is enough for now.

Get out as fast as you can like I did. Once I realized how bad this place was, I hit the road fast. It is not worth ruining your future career with the politics of this place.

Advice to Management

I doubt HR reads this, but if you do, a full employee survey needs to be conducted with each employee getting a chance to describe what is wrong with this place. The voices are not being heard in our department.

"Avoid Teaching Here By All Means"

Former Employee - Instructor
    Former Employee - Instructor

I worked at Grand Canyon University (More than a year)

Pros

I simply cannot think of a single one.

Cons

This place needs to be shut down. I have a PhD and have taught college for over 14 years and I simply cannot imagine how the HLC lets this place remain accredited. They treat faculty very poorly and impugn an inability to teach. I went through a "faculty development" process with someone who had not even a remote inkling of my subject matter or how to teach it. The syllabus demands teaching about something that was outdated in the profession over six years ago. and you cannot alter the content even when it is out of date. When you do teach and the students cannot keep up with the class, they email you suggesting that you are failing to meet expectations. I am a tenured professor, I speak at academic conferences across the nation, I publish research, my teaching evaluations are never below 4.7/5, and I have never experienced such a dismal excuse for "faculty development." They always seem to have openings but do not take the bait and jeopardize your own professional standards. Avoid teaching at this organization by all means--it is just not worth your time or effort and there are other, much more reputable places to teach online.

Advice to Management

Fire every person in faculty development and start over--there is simply no redeeming quality in anyone I have every had the displeasure of speaking with there.