Grand Canyon University Reviews | Glassdoor

Brian Mueller

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Enrollment Counselor Beware"

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay. Good paid time off. Good people trying to make a living.

Cons

I was with GCU for over 6 years and was never in trouble or felt that my job was threatened until the last year or 2. The move has now become to feed the investors... period. Goals are given and then raised on a whim and corrective action is a daily threat. Make your numbers at all cost or be threatened daily. Counselor is 10% of the job the other 90% is enroll, enroll, enroll. There is no real advancement and once you start slipping you are done. Raises for higher paid employees are strictly capped. There is now a move to get rid of the highest paid by raising the goals and bringing in brand new 21 year old recent GCU grads to start at the lowest pay and to to make it look like the students can get jobs after graduation with their degree. Saw the writing on the wall and got out 3 months ago for a lower paying job, with a great culture, and never looked back. Think twice about this interview. You will not be able to get over the pressure after your first few probationary months.

Advice to Management

The people that were there when we picked up our paychecks out of a trailer and built the pride in the online division, especially the Military division, where I was are the people that really cared about the school are the ones that should be kept. You will see tremendous turnover by them from now on. It's a shame, I once loved my job.

"Lowest Pay Ever!"

Current Employee - Adjunct Online Faculty in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Adjunct Online Faculty in Remote, OR

I have been working at Grand Canyon University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Christian environment is a positive and the students are wonderful.

Cons

Faculty are treated poorly. Just a body. Classes are paid by the number of students that are enrolled after THREE weeks. I teach graduate courses and my second class enrollment was 11 to start. On the second day, it dropped to 10 students. This equates to $1000 for 8 weeks of work. I give a lot to my students and being paid $125 per week (gross), $12 per student per week is ridiculous - especially for a PhD. When I ask a question, I am told this is the online world and courses are assigned "by student need and enrollment." Typical canned response. I have been teaching online before it was even popular.

Advice to Management

GCU - Your faculty is what makes you. Wake up. I cannot even rate senior management as I have never met anyone except a scheduler and a mentor for the first course.

"SALES !!!! SALES !!! SALE !!!!"

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Peoria, AZ
    Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Peoria, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people were really cool. The benefits and PTO was a great part of the job. Sometimes you would get an unexpected PTO day.

Cons

It's a sales job. The work that you have done in a previous month does not matter. You're a horse chasing a carrot every month. The threat of losing your job is ever present. Hit your numbers or get walked out.

Advice to Management

Stop with the numbers game. Stop playing favorites. Some managers will protect their favorites by giving them easy enrollments. That should be against the rules.

"University Counselor"

Current Employee - University Counselor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - University Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Fellow employees (team), 2. Flexible scheduling, 3. Work from home, 4. If you are willing to put in effort they will assist you will top-notch coaching

Cons

The job itself: selling people college, you are "measured" on five categories and only one matters...enrollment. If you can't enroll three to five students a month, goodbye. The quality of the student didn't matter, "get them reg'd (registered).

...overall imagine any scene from the movie "Boiler Room"...

Advice to Management

Overall lower level management was solid; however, micro management occurred daily. "Why aren't you enrolling more students?" was a daily question. Mid-level management would put in minimal face time and upper-level management was non-existent.

"not bad"

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good money but thats about it

Cons

upper management is out to lunch

Advice to Management

grow up

"Resident Director"

Current Employee - Resident Director in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Resident Director in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The campus is brand new. The benefits are actually pretty decent (with the exception of compensation).

Cons

Corporate structure is not ideal for higher education professionals.

"Know what you're getting yourself into"

Former Employee - Student Services Advisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Student Services Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were great, free tickets to their soccer/basketball home games.

Cons

As a Student Services Counselor/Advisor, when I was first offered the job I was under the impression that my main goal would be to work to secure my assigned students' academic careers.

Wrong.

The only things that end up really mattering to the Counselor/Advisor is student count and how much debt they have. You will end up calling up (the same) students who have been out of attendance at least every week, if not multiple times a week. A big portion of your job success is determined by how many people you can convince to come back to class, essentially putting you into a sales role. Don't get enough students back in a month? There go your stats for that month. The focus, and I can't emphasize this enough, is NOT on the success of your students but by how many you can get back to (probably) wracking up debt.

On that note, the other emphasis I mentioned was the debt on your file. GCU suffers very badly from a rubber band effect. For example, when student numbers are declining, you're told to get as many back into class and let as much debt keep rolling on as you can. However, 2-3 months after that you start getting yelled at for how much debt there is, and you are typically given a very small window of time to play "Collections Agent" to try and bring it back down. This, of course, results again in losing a portion of your students. Also, the number of out-bound dials you make and your daily talk time are monitored very closely.

Thus this negative cycle continues, again and again and again.

On that note, if you are having a difficult time keeping up with this, watch out. Upper management will have no problem not just constantly berating you, but also calling you out in front of everyone else.

Another thing of note, this is obviously a Christian School. I knew that going in, but I never really considered myself religious, but had no problem with that. All I will say is that if it becomes known that you're not a devoted Christian, certain things will NOT go your way as an employee. Either way they now make every new employee sign a form affirming their faith at time of hire, so it appears they're doing their best to weed out any of that anyway.

Just know what you're getting yourself into. If you're wanting to become a Student Services Counselor/Advisor, just understand that a large portion of your time you will be playing both the roles of Sales and Collection agents on top of taking an almost constant barrage of inbound calls (of other counselor's students). If you can make this work for you, then great. All I know is that I wish I had this information before starting there, things might have been different.

Advice to Management

Practice what you (sometimes literally) preach. So much rhetoric is placed on "doing what's best for the student", yet I can't think of a single time where I was encouraged to truly, honestly, help any of them out over boosting up GCU's numbers. I really can't.

"Operations Specialist"

Current Employee - Network Operations Technician in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Network Operations Technician in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free College and good opportunities outside of IT

Cons

Underpaid, overworked. Poor decisions by management

Advice to Management

IT needs to expand like the rest of the company

"Not for everyone"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of few higher education employers in Arizona
    Enthusiastic student population

Cons

One of few higher education employers in Arizona.
    High turnover among faculty and staff--low pay for high work demands
    Poor or no training or professional development opportunities
    Events and games take priority over all other functions on campus, including instructional operations.
    Lack of basic information to the public and employees

Advice to Management

Care more about truly effective operations than spinning a positive image and burying critical flaws. Spot treating and paying faculty like community college instructors.

"Hit or Miss"

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generous time off and lots of time on campus events.

Cons

Too much turnover among management and unrealistic goals make this seemingly manageable position very difficult. This is a phone job with customer service element but it amounts to high pressure sales.

Advice to Management

Be honest and straight forward with your people. If you treat them well, they will give their all for you. If you are constantly scrutinizing your people and only coddling your "top performers", you will continue to lose good people who really care about the students and GCU.