Grand Canyon University Reviews | Glassdoor

Grand Canyon University CEO Brian Mueller
Brian Mueller

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Grand Canyon University - A great opportunity to impact a student life positively!"

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Positive work environment
    2. Diversity is evident everywhere
    3. Professional people
    4. Dedication to Student Services

Cons

1. Management has not learned to communicate the vision and mission effectively
    2. Pressure to enroll students sometimes clouds the real reason for promoting Higher Education

Advice to Management

1. Engage the enrollment staff with the intention to make Student Services better.
    2. Enrollment and Marketing needs to be connected for the sole purpose of making Student Services better.

"Best place to work yet..."

Current Employee - Management in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Management in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

benefits, great people, chance to grow, security

Cons

call center environment, employees paid hourly, should be salary

Advice to Management

pay employees more, provide employees more feedback

3. "Doctoral Enrollment Manager"

Current Employee - Doctoral Enrollment Counselor/Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Doctoral Enrollment Counselor/Manager in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Prospective students know what they want!

Cons

The pay can be better considering the extensive education one is required to have.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Excellent University/Company to work for"

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, compensation is very good for the job and has increased steadily over the past few years, absolutely excellent benefits (free tuition assistance, large amount of PTO/sick days, I literally pay about $15/paycheck for health benefits HSA/High Deductible plan, 401k matching). I love the fact that I don't take anything home with me, when I clock out I'm done! The education people are getting really will help them go to new levels in life. The vision and mission of GCU is excellent. GCU is growing rapidly in a time when its competitors are tanking. We're starting to gain a national reputation as a highly credible university while being 'For Profit' which is really excellent in my view. (Solid, affordable, private education in high-need areas; low default rates on student loans, profits for investors, and high levels of taxes paid to local, state, and federal governments while state universities are a drain on tax dollars.)

Cons

Every job will rise or fall with management. If you have a good manager, you will have a great experience and the opposite with a bad manager. The job can be very stressful at times because it is sales/customer service all rolled into one but it has great payoffs if you can really connect with the students and your co-workers. Because of the need to grow so quickly some employees are not only not in line with the Vision and Mission of the organization but are antagonistic about it.

Advice to Management

Foster a friendly/fun environment rather than focusing only on business. Be intentional about developing employees interested in moving up and provide more training. Consistency is key - as a lower level employee we want to not only feel as though we're a valuable part of the team (we do) but we also want to feel like we have job security and potential to develop/move up.

"Best Place I Have Ever Worked"

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Where to begin...There are so many...

1. Benefits are amazing.

Great and cheap medical insurance after 30 days.

Free employee tuition after 90 days.....Not only for you, but for up to two children and your spouse at the undergrad level. Yes, your children can attend classes at the ground campus FOR FREE.

20 days PTO, and you start earning it from day one. 13 paid holidays and half days here and there.

Flexible schedule

Lots of paid holidays, team building, FUN work environment

Diversity in workforce, no age/race discrimination.

Overtime available if you want it but it has never been required of me

Great training

Positive reinforcement all the time

Are you expected to perform the duties of your job? Sure, of course you are but first and foremost you must act in the students best interest always. There is not undue pressure to enroll students. The expectations are very realistic, and if you show up and answer your phone, and make your calls each day, you will meet your goals.

GCU was named #2 best small company to work for in the United States by Forbes magazine. That did not happen because they are a bad company. I LOVE Grand Canyon University. I hope to spend my entire career here.

Cons

I really have not experienced any cons so far. Seriously. If you want a job where you can come in and slack, this is not for you. However, if you work hard, you will be do very well here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. I am so proud to be a part of this wonderful organization.

"Great place to work."

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and pay, very friendly and family oriented culture

Cons

Kind of in a bad neighborhood, depending on department may have to work a lot on weekends

Advice to Management

Upper management says they have an open door policy, but they can be very unapproachable.

7. "Benefits and colleagues shine here!"

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time

Pros

Benefits
    Colleagues
    Non-traditional work schedule
    Evolving environment

Cons

No work-life balance
    Undervalued/lack of appreciation from senior mgmt
    Inconsistent policies in managing teams

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Student Service Advisor in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Student Service Advisor in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have had a couple bad managers and couple great ones. Overall, the schedule is great, pay is above average and flexibility and time off are awesome. You get several paid holidays, dont work weekends and get several days of PTO.

Cons

Sometimes it can be hard to meet numbers because there are factors beyond your control, but depending on your manager that may or may not be an issue.

9. "Good resources for student workers"

Current Employee - Help Desk Student Worker in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Help Desk Student Worker in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work environment is great, the company has good values, hours are flexible, and the senior staff is involved with all levels of the IT department.

Cons

Resources for workers can be limited, sometime you need to be very creative to solve problems.

Advice to Management

Certification reimbursements for student workers in IT related fields, would improve the quality of support at GCU, and allow student workers greater advancement opportunities after leaving GCU.

10. "gcu soars"

Pros

Peppy people who love their job and love others around them Christian University

Cons

lots of training is required so you become burnt out rather quickly

Advice to Management

lalalalalalalalallalalala