Grand Circle Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
Alan E. Lewis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Laid back environment, casual dress code, and welcoming of different types of people (in 14 reviews)

• The travel benefits are outstanding (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Company values of Open and Courageous Communication and Risk Taking are lip server (in 20 reviews)

• Roles outside of the Call Center have more freedom/flexibility (in 25 reviews)

1. "Good benefits"

I worked at Grand Circle full-time

Pros

good benefits, coworkers, 9-5 job so you can have your personal life etc

Cons

the computer systems is old

Advice to Management

none

2. "Great people, great benefits and grateful for the experience!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Grand Circle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have had a very positive experience since joining Grand Circle Travel more than a year ago. I have a great manager and enjoy the people that I work with who are extremely nice, hardworking, and passionate about what they do. The company offers generous benefits which include health, dental and vision, transit and parking subsidies, 401K with a match program, tuition reimbursement, casual dress code, travel benefits, and much more. One of the unique benefits here is the Wellness Program, including an onsite gym. Through the Wellness Program employees can participate in onsite Yoga, Reiki, Meditation and have access to a full-time Wellness coach who is amazing and inspirational. We work hard, but we also get to play hard and enjoy fun things like summer BBQ’s, departmental celebrations, and the annual holiday party. The company motto is “We help change people’s lives” which is evident not only by our traveler’s testimonies but also by the Community Service work that is done both locally in and around Boston and globally. Grand Circle employees are able to participate in monthly events that help to give back to the local community and through the Grand Circle Foundation, the company is very generous in giving time and money to the underserved and underprivileged communities around the world. I am very proud to work for a company that does so much good in the world and that truly helps to change people’s lives.

Cons

I have no cons to express at this time.

"Double-Edged Company"

I have been working at Grand Circle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Grand Circle has great values that I strongly identify with.
    -The benefits are incredible, huge chunk of transit is paid for.
    -I adore my manager, and many of my co-workers.
    -There is a lot of variety and opportunity for growth within the business.
    -The onsite wellness manager is incredible, and the wellness benefits are amazing!

Cons

-Much of the high level management and CEO do not consistently live out the values.
    -Many company policies and benefits are inconsistent and can change at any time.
    -Bad behavior is overlooked if you are a 'favorite/emerging leader' of the CEO/GCC, often times being rewarded rather than being reprimanded.
    -The performance management is not well executed or very clear. It is too frequent, not allowing enough time to truly show growth, and it seems to be cherry-picked ratings dictated by opinions of those who do not interact directly with the teams/associates.

Advice to Management

-Stand up for what you think is right, regardless of who you report to or what the outcome may be.
    -Give honest feedback to your direct reports.
    -The CEO should be less involved in every single detail of the business on a whim and trust the people hired to do their job which helps to create a stronger, more positive, growth-oriented culture from the top down.
    -Change performance management to bi-yearly or annually.

4. "Good People, Great Product"

Pros

The people are great to work with, and ita a fun product to sell.

Cons

Hard to balance the demands of high goals and performance pressure with a department that is overworked with low morale.

"Challenging, but can also be rewarding"

Current Employee - Creative Services in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Creative Services in Boston, MA

I have been working at Grand Circle full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

• Excellent benefits: health/dental/vision, FSA, 401K, transit pass subsidy, gym onsite, rebates for classes, and discounts on travel
    • Good location: Easy commute on public transit, busy neighborhood with lunch options nearby
    • Supportive co-workers who are passionate about their work
    • Opportunity to be promoted, even if you don’t have experience in a given field—which is great for someone starting out or looking for a career change
    • Inclusive environment at entry- and mid-level positions: You will not be judged for your race, gender, religion, sexuality, etc.
    • A great product that does impact peoples’ lives—you will be helping travelers expand their horizons and local communities benefit economically. Also, the company does a lot of charity work, both at home and abroad.

Cons

• Constant changes and shifting priorities: Sometimes with good reason and sometimes not. You have to be OK with making changes that you don’t agree with or don’t understand.
    • A mixed bag when it comes to company culture: The company has certain core values that they ask you embrace, many of which are common corporate goals (quality, speed). But others are unusual, like taking risks and open communication. These can be hard for associates because they are somewhat subjective, yet your performance will be tied to them. When done right, they can help you grow. When done poorly they can be a source of conflict and discouragement.
    • Lack of diversity in top positions: Not certain why this would be the case given the openness in the rest of the company, but sadly true.
    • When reading other reviews, keep in mind that The Call Center is more regulated than other departments. Roles outside of the Call Center have more freedom/flexibility.

Advice to Management

The negative reviews on this site are primarily because of two things:
    1. The high level of stress in the Call Center, which you could help alleviate by hiring more people and by re-evaluating the goals. (Statistically you cannot have everyone be an A+ performer. You need to create room for the Bs—the solid performers—too.)
    2. Inconsistent application of the values. Some departments excel at this (giving each other support, allowing people to make mistakes and thus take risks) and others are failing badly. A review of how values are judged and retraining is in order.

6. "Solid company with a mission"

I have been working at Grand Circle full-time

Pros

I develop software at Grand Circle and work with a great group of people. There is a mix of new and tenured employees including three people on my team who've been here for more than 15 years each. We develop software using agile methodologies having a daily stand up with both technical and business associates. Some of the technology is legacy, but new development uses the latest technologies such as Angular, Azure, and .NET, and there are many opportunities to learn new technologies here. The company is very serious about its values and does quarterly reviews to help employees identify areas of improvement. While this seemed a little intimidating at first, after going through this a few times, I found it to be very helpful - frequent reviews are aligned with agile thinking and it helps the team adjust to a dynamic environment. The result is a workplace where there's not a lot of attitude and people who are willing to work together to solve challenging problems.

Cons

Things happen fast here and there is excessive communication in this company, so new employees will need to work with their managers to understand where to focus and how to gradually come up to speed rather than drinking from the fire hose.

Advice to Management

Embrace lean initiatives to reduce extra, redundant or unnecessary effort.

7. "Company does "Change Peoples Lives""

I have been working at Grand Circle full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits including on-site fitness with variety of classes. Flexible, great location in the heart of the Seaport. Variety of public transportation options. Offers trips to Seniors that really do "change people's lives" and opportunities to travel.

Cons

Can be stressful at times due to changing priorities and disorganization in management. Ranking system is subjective but solid performers and team players should have no issues.

"Do not work here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Grand Circle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Travel but is it worth it?

Cons

Horrible leadership. Different direction every day. Unethical. Set people up to fail. AWFUL. Please do not go to this company at any level.

Advice to Management

I wish they cared enough for me to give advice

"If you are a masochist..."

Pros

Casual environment with (mostly) fun-loving associates

Cons

High turnover for no reason; gestapo culture

"Not as promise"

Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I worked at Grand Circle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good salary and great location, they cover part of the cost of transportation.

For new hires they have a good nest environment and try to help you to be successful.

Cons

Always overtime, always a lot of calls waiting and not really happy customer and people leave or are let go almost every two weeks and it doesn’t matter your position.

It’s really scary, you never know if you would be next.

Goals that are really hard to hit and a lot of angry people because of that.

Coworkers then to be rude and they don’t work as a team

Advice to Management

Please hire more people so we can have a life