Grand Circle Reviews | Glassdoor

2.3
Alan E. Lewis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • If you use the open and courageous communication value to upper management, it better be what they want to here and nothing else (in 19 reviews)

• Call center associates are also treated like garbage compared to the rest of the company (in 22 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fast-paced, challenging, fun, supportive place to work"

I have been working at Grand Circle full-time

Pros

Exciting, fun, intriguing, work hard/play hard atmosphere, team environment, fast-paced

Cons

constantly changing to keep up with industry and current events, fast-paced which is not for everyone. people who succeed here need to flexible and adaptable. it's not a work place that will be for everyone.

2. "The changes definitely helped"

I have been working at Grand Circle full-time

Pros

the benefits package & the ability to travel is essentially the top perk working here. the atmosphere is cool and laid back, management has changed (from what I can tell for the better) and the commission structure adds quite a bit to your base salary.

Cons

It's certainly a work hard play hard environment - but that could be good or bad depending on the person

the commute can be tough into boston

Advice to Management

more free lunches!

3. "Sales Associate"

I worked at Grand Circle full-time

Pros

The travel benefits are outstanding.

Cons

Compensation potential is constantly changing.

4. "Challenging Place to work"

I have been working at Grand Circle full-time

Pros

Very good benefit package and travel opportunities

Cons

Constantly changing goals and focus

5. "Work Hard, Play Hard"

I have been working at Grand Circle full-time

Pros

Benefits - competitive pay for the industry, reasonable benefit premiums with a low deductible, subsidized commuter program
    Wellness - onsite gym & wellness manager, subsidized acupuncture, annual wellness incentives, free chair massages, multiple times a year we do an offsite fitness class at a local gym (Everybodyfights, Soul Cycle)
    Community - LOTS of opportunities to give back in the community and volunteer time or money!

Annual events (summer outing, business works, holiday party) + other events throughout the year
    Casual dress code is a big +

Cons

It's definitely a work hard, play hard atmosphere. A lot of employees here are used to getting everything they ever want, so if the owner decides to reign something in to save a little money you get 500+ people complaining about what a horrible place it is to work. I bet you've never seen a review on here that talks about how frequently the call center has free lunches or about a beer cart that tends to roam around on Fridays...

HOWEVER, you don't get everything for nothing so the company has high standards for service and expectations on how you should do your job. If you stick to what you're supposed to do, you'll be fine.

Advice to Management

Allow upper management to manage their teams against budgets and other drivers.

6. "Travel Support Specialist"

I worked at Grand Circle full-time

Pros

Great vacation and great coworkers

Cons

It's a call center, very numbers oriented, and you don't receive the travel benefits for a good couple months.

Advice to Management

When short staffed, don't let people go due to "low numbers". That is only going to hurt the other employees by making them work even more hours to cover.

"The dictator's priority for this week is what rules the company"

Former Employee - Senior Web Developer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Web Developer in Boston, MA

I worked at Grand Circle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many great people doing many great things. The implementers at this company are great and there are many great managers as well. Salary is ok, benefits are decent. Somehow they're profitable. Area has a lot to offer. The people who do the work on a day to day basis are awesome here. I really never saw anybody who didn't appear invested in their work (or they weren't there for long).

Cons

I worked for 2 years and 4 months and left having my 10th manager. I could stop there, but I feel I'd be doing a disservice to readers.

It's a shame the managers never get to stay in one position long enough to make improvements. If improvements don't happen this week (only a slight exaguration), they're liable to be moved or fired.

Whatever the owner decides is the priority this week is what the entire organization must shift and adjust to and it can change weekly. If a person is no longer required, they'll be let go. I've rarely heard of a person being found a different position. And regardless of their skillset, they may get moved and it may be to a place that is or isn't good for them. And it seems that the priorities are whimsical. It seems as if priorities are not based on data or if it's data that's been massaged to make it look right. There's very little transparency as to why new priorities are what they are and what success or failure will be determined by. And there's rarely a measurement called a failure or partial success with adjustments to the same priority to try and make it better. It'll likely just plan be dropped for something new.

Raises last year changed requirements from where 90% of the company got it the previous year to where 10% of the company got it, without telling people until after it was done. Who knows what it'll be next year.

Fear is always present with the knowledge you are probably going to be let go if you do anything slightly wrong. or if a shift in priorities makes your position no longer required. If you use the open and courageous communication value to upper management, it better be what they want to here and nothing else. If you openly disagree with them, then you'll likely be fired.

The priority and accomplishing it are what is most important in the day to day, however you get reviewed with the majority of your review being around the company values. That's a broken model. Priorities shift so fast around here that what ever your measurements where when you started, it won't be possible (most likely) for that to be accomplished when it comes time to review.

The cultures and values are promoted heavily, but only apply to implementers and lower management.

Advice to Management

Start taking care of your people. If they don't perform, train them and give them time to do what needs to be done. Pay your people, train your people and give them raises they deserve. Allen, retire and find someone who will take care of people and run the company based on data, planning, metrics and profitability, rather than what you think is important today. I do think the concentration they have around excellence for the customer is what keeps the company profitable. Funny how excellence isn't a stated core value. In reality it is a core behavior of the company and it's the best one for the company's customers. Keep that a priority and you'll never go wrong by your customers.

"DO NOT WORK HERE"

I worked at Grand Circle full-time

Pros

Awesome co-workers, beer cart, and traveling for cheap

Cons

Everything else at the company not listed as pros

Advice to Management

Increase pay for daily aggravation!!

"Challenging, but rewarding"

I have been working at Grand Circle full-time

Pros

Travel benefits
    Competitive salary
    Energetic and engaging business
    Commuter benefit, onsite gym and fitness classes

Cons

Constant change
    Micro-management throughout the leadership team
    Performance management structure is rigid

Advice to Management

Listen more to associate needs, stop caving to ownership's pressure, allow departments to operate without the pressure of meeting one individuals expectations

"Illegally requested a doctor's note for using the restroom"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Grand Circle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, subsidized MBTA pass, beer cart. The call center managers give little perks to show appreciation, like lunch, ice cream, raffles, etc.

Cons

You are tied to your desk except for breaks and meetings. If you have to go to the bathroom, you have to log in the system that you're stepping away to to bathroom. One of the metrics is "adherence" i.e. how well do you adhere to your schedule. If you go to the bathroom, you are out of adherence. If you get stuck on a call and miss your break, you still have to take your break, but you're out of adherence because you didn't take it as scheduled. I had a supervisor call me into a meeting with a printout of my adherence that showed me how often I went to the bathroom. (I would literally run to the bathroom and run back to my desk. 3-4 minutes tops). She told me that I needed to get a doctor's note so that if upper management saw that I went to the bathroom too much, it would cover my you know what. I went to People and Culture (HR) and told them that's illegal and they said "well we need to keep track of people on the phones, if everyone goes to the bathroom at the same time, there's no one on the phone." That had nothing to due with being illegally requested a doctor's note, especially for using the restroom a normal amount of time. I refused, and told them I will sue if I'm terminated for that reason. She told me "well you wouldn't be terminated for going to the bathroom, it would be for not adhering to your schedule." So in otherwords, they find loopholes to illegal practices. I quit within a month of that conversation.

Advice to Management

Understand employment law
    If you're going to force employees into a different position, train them for success.
    Don't punish people for missing their metrics until you have a solid training plan in place.