Grand Circle Travel Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.3
Alan E. Lewis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Casual dress code, nice are in Boston to work" (in 16 reviews)

• "The travel benefits are outstanding" (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • "Company values of Open and Courageous Communication and Risk Taking are lip server" (in 20 reviews)

• "Roles outside of the Call Center have more freedom/flexibility" (in 26 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great people, great benefits and grateful for the experience!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Grand Circle Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have had a very positive experience since joining Grand Circle Travel more than a year ago. I have a great manager and enjoy the people that I work with who are extremely nice, hardworking, and passionate about what they do. The company offers generous benefits which include health, dental and vision, transit and parking subsidies, 401K with a match program, tuition reimbursement, casual dress code, travel benefits, and much more. One of the unique benefits here is the Wellness Program, including an onsite gym. Through the Wellness Program employees can participate in onsite Yoga, Reiki, Meditation and have access to a full-time Wellness coach who is amazing and inspirational. We work hard, but we also get to play hard and enjoy fun things like summer BBQ’s, departmental celebrations, and the annual holiday party. The company motto is “We help change people’s lives” which is evident not only by our traveler’s testimonies but also by the Community Service work that is done both locally in and around Boston and globally. Grand Circle employees are able to participate in monthly events that help to give back to the local community and through the Grand Circle Foundation, the company is very generous in giving time and money to the underserved and underprivileged communities around the world. I am very proud to work for a company that does so much good in the world and that truly helps to change people’s lives.

Cons

I have no cons to express at this time.

"Grand Circle Corp has changed my life!"

Current Employee - Communications Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Communications Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Grand Circle Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Back in 2014 i started my journey here with Grand Circle Corp. I'd been referred by a friend that had been working here 15 years at that time (and is still here). I came in with dreams of traveling and truly making a difference in the lives of others.

My first role was in the call center as a Traveler Support Specialist. I was immediately impressed with the level of support I was given as a new hire. I knew nothing about travel. In fact, I'd never been out of the country. I was set up with a mentor that really helped me learn geography as well as the ins and outs of the industry. Through hard work, dedication, the support of my mentor and management team, I quickly excelled! Before long the guy that knew nothing about geography and had never left the country was leading the pack with his performance.

After just a few short months of hard work, asking for help, and implementing feedback I was chosen to be a part of a coaching pilot team, and sent to Austria & Germany for FREE on a product training trip.

I really loved coaching. It was an opportunity to support new hire associates in the way that I was supported when I entered the doors at GCC. As a coach I assessed call trends, created & facilitated training content, and helped drive overall performance. It was then that I was offered my first supervisor role with a team of 15 associates within my first year of employment.

Again, with the support of my peers, my management team, and my mentors I was able to excel as a supervisor. My heart however remained with the coaching program. So when I was asked to return to develop future coaches, I jumped on the opportunity.

After one year of developing coaches, I was offered a role as a New Hire Training Specialist where I trained all new hires in Traveler Support. Facilitating in a classroom environment was something I always wanted to do but feared. By the time I became a trainer though, Grand Circle had taught me the importance of taking Risks!!

Fast forward to my current role. I am currently the Communications Manager for the Lewis Family Foundation (non-profit side of GCC) where our mission is to give back to the community, double the amount of 4 year college grads in the Dorchester, Roxbury, and Mattapan areas.

I have been with GCC 4 INCREDIBLE years! While I understand that everyone has their own experience, I felt that it was important that I share my journey with you as it has been and continues to be a positive one. The guy who never left Boston has now built a career that he can be proud of, and traveled to 13 countries in just 4 short years!

If you're looking to make a POSITIVE CHANGE in your life and in the lives of others, then this is the place for you.

Cons

well the con is that it's hard work!! NOTHING WORTH HAVING COMES EASY. The industry is ever-changing and ever-evolving. Things change frequently because they need to. We need to keep up with industry standards as well as the expectations of our travelers. You need to be the type of person that is very self aware, open to receiving feedback, and remain positive in times of challenge.

"Not Worth It"

Pros

Great Product to be sold, but everything else is a miss

Cons

Oversell and under deliver on Corporate culture and compensation - cult/fraternity type management doesn't know what they're doing

4. "Unfortunate waste of time"

Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Grand Circle Travel (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great parties and food for employee's

Cons

Call center treated like separate company not given same opportunities as other departments for advancing career.
    If you do not go out with the "in crowd" and get smashed after work you will not get far
    People are promoted based on favoritism not talent
    Metrics and managers change daily so good luck succeeding at them

Advice to Management

Micromanagement fear tactic - does not help an employee to grow.

"Salary isn’t worth it. Hot mess."

Pros

The only pro to speak of is free trips for director level and above.

Cons

This is the most toxic workplace I’ve ever been a part of. Mind games, verbal abuse, turn on people on a dime, everyone out for themselves, all because of poor management. It turns nice people into cut throat ones in order to survive. They keep people with pay, but no amount of money is worth this misery. And horrible for career growth... their approach is so foreign to any other business you’ll be stuck there if you stay more than a few years.

Advice to Management

Alan Lewis: employee satisfaction would save you money across the org. Actually empower people to do their jobs and let them worry about schedules.

"Listen to the reviews-you will regret it if you don't"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Grand Circle Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I wish I could say there were some, but there AREN'T. Most of the good benefits have been taken away from the owner for "punishment" of business works or something someone else did that he didn't like. 5 year vesting 401K and not many people make the 5 years, no great travel discounts (again taken away), sabbatical is a joke and changes every month.

Cons

Negative, hostile, drama, unappreciated, incompetent hr, poor leadership, the values are words not lived by (especially the Executive team), discrimination of age and gender, town hall meetings which the owner uses as "scare" tactics to intimidate the associates, associates are unhappy, cult like culture, they like to promote people-watch them fail and fire them.. and so much more-sounds like a great place to work, right????

Advice to Management

Stop pitting people against each other and know that a positive work environment has more impact than negativity and drama. This is 2018 and mistreating people and your associates isn't going to be tolerated because guess what, we have choices. The executive team should be ashamed of themselves to stand behind a tyrant and turn the cheek. How do you look yourself in the mirror knowing that you are cowards and you know the difference between right and wrong. How do you sleep at night? You must not have a conscience.

"Lots of opportunity for the right people"

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time

Pros

Great opportunity for growth if you can go with the flow. Wonderful, passionate associates. Great travel products. Excellent location and good benefits.

Cons

Constant, shifting change.

Advice to Management

Speak up. Be honest.

"Don't."

Former Employee - Air Service in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Air Service in Boston, MA

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Pay. If you care ONLY about money, and benefits. Then this is great.

Cons

If you have any self respect, family, or friends, don't. You have NO time for yourself. Even the best hours are horrible because they've FORCED mandatory OT for the past 3 years now. They are also scamming old people, charging 300% more than the worth of these "experiences" (control-freak tours)

Advice to Management

Keep your employees. Revolt against the toxic work vs social life. Stand up for your employees not the SINGLE man who is SINGLE-HANDEDLY bringing down the company. The owner and founder is a child who is using his company and his employees as toys.

"Never again"

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time

Pros

Coworkers are nice, and most of the customers are friendly to work with. Decent pay and benefits.

Cons

Rude customers who are entitled and higher ups who don’t care. Revolving door of employees because they are either fired or quit. Don’t do it unless you’re fine with getting yelled at over things that are out of your control.

"Corrupt Owners and Questionable Employee Practices"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual dress code. Fun Holiday party. But two things don't make up for the horror show that is GCT.

Cons

Where to begin, let's start with the borderline dilapidated building with old/used/dusty office furniture and light fixtures. If you need to use the elevator make sure you tack on an extra 15 minutes to your commute so you can reach your desk on time. This place looks like a dump/hoarder's paradise. It's pretty embarrassing, especially with all the brand new office buildings going in around the area.
    The owners are cold and calculated individuals who will use all your time/efforts/energy (even on weekends) until they no longer need you anymore and throw you out like garbage. They actually think that there is a large qualified candidate pool willing to put up with their nonsense. Every single employee working for them lives in fear of being fired because they know how they operate. One day you're in, the next day, for no reason, you're out. Everyone is constantly covering their tracks and making sure they don't mess up. On the day I was fired I texted my boss letting her know that I was running late because I had just had a truly scary medical emergency but my fear of them made me suck it up and go to work. Instead of asking me if I was ok or telling me to stay at home (as any normal person would) she was adamant about my whereabouts and was very concerned if I would be in the office that day. She went about the day as normal, having me work a full day knowing full well what had just happened to me, and then at 4:30 had HR fire me for no legitimate reason at all and all my insurance was cut off so I couldn't even go to the ER later that day or follow up with my doctor. In my time there I had only ever called out sick ONCE.
    This is real life. This is how they treat a fellow human being. Truly disgusting and I hope I never work for anyone like them again. I never did anything wrong, worked with a very high level of professionalism yet was let go in the most horrendous way.
    I should have got out sooner instead of subjecting myself to this type of treatment which is so hard to explain on here. You need to have the thickest skin to deal with them, they will cut you down at every opportunity and border on harassment.

Advice to Management

There's no advice for management, you aren't dealing with rational people here.
    HR should stop writing fake reviews or at least be a little more creative. They're very obvious. Contrary to what HR wants to make prospective candidates think, Glassdoor isn't "a few disgruntled" employees, it's past, current employees telling the TRUTH.