Grand Circle Travel Reviews

Updated Aug 10, 2020

2.6
Grand Circle Travel Chairman and CEO Alan E. Lewis (no image)
Alan E. Lewis
Pros
  • "The Associate Travel benefits are AMAZING(in 35 reviews)

• "Great people, great business model-if you work hard, you are rewarded(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "Call center is a challenging place to work due to nature of job(in 29 reviews)

• "They preach their "core values" but good luck being open and courageous and taking risks, you'll be the out the door real fast(in 23 reviews)

1. "Great Company to work for!"

5.0
    Former Employee - /// in Boston, MA

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Benefits Great PTO Summer Hours to leave earlier Free Trips Sabbatical every 5 year

Cons

I do not have any cons for this place. You are lucky if you are able to work here. Such a great company.

2. "A job"

Former Employee - Travel Agent in Boston, MA

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time for less than a year

Pros

Met great people Decent pay out of college

Cons

It's a call center Lots of customer aren't happy with choices company makes. Really aren't the best choices of how to treat customers but as employee you have to do as they say.

3. COVID-19

"Hard company to work for..."

Former Employee - Accounting Clerk in Boston, MA

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good travel benefits, at least before the pandemic hit...

Cons

You constantly have to jump through hoops because of frequent performance reviews. Doing a good job doesn't ever seem to be enough. Open and courageous communication is supposed to be valued, but only if it's not directed at the wrong person.

"Embarrassing"

Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time

Pros

Travel discounts for employees and a month off after 5 years

Cons

Sexist and abusive management. No internal organization. Terrible pay. Old and dirty building and office equipment. Blocked fire exists.

5. "Good company overall"

4.0
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits , work life balance

Cons

Management doest know how to treat talent

6. COVID-19

"Enjoyed the unique opportunities that the company provided over nearly 10 years in sales."

4.0
    Former Employee - Group Sales Manager

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great coworkers. Fun balance of experienced and fresh faces. When I first started, I really appreciated the mix of people just starting their work careers (which gave it a fun energy) while still seeing that there were a number of people who had been with the company for 10/15/20 years (which proved that it wasn't purely a turn and burn type of employer). The company sent me on a number of tours around the world and offered great discounts on other trips that I selected on my own. Having experienced the product firsthand, I was very proud and confident about what we were offering to our clients (who often would repeat business over and over again). The company has some personnel both in Boston and around the world (i.e. the world wide offices but especially the guides that we'd contract). Unfortunately I was laid off during the coronavirus downturn, but would consider returning again at some point in the future when travel begins to resemble something that's "normal".

Cons

Upper management would often make hasty, regrettable decisions. Some policies that took effect in 2018/2019 regarding cancelation penalties and early payment discounts seemed to only worsen that value for customers (this seemed to have been partially corrected during the coronavirus pandemic as the company has eased some restrictions).

"Toxic work environment"

Former Employee - Operations in Boston, MA

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay and great co workers

Cons

Crazy managers. They said that employees go first. That is not true. They only care about making money on your expenses

Continue reading

"Job instability and excessive overtime define Grand Circle — don't work here."

Former Employee - Traveler Support Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great coworkers in TS, the location in Boston is excellent, and there is a great commuter benefit for the MBTA. I learned skills that allowed me to obtain a new, higher paying non-call center job.

Cons

If you want basic job stability, Grand Circle is not the place to work. Arbitrary, ever changing metrics determine employment status. Monthly metrics (KRAs) such as post call surveys (PCS) and average call time (AHT) are key to career success, even if results aren't entirely within your control. Traveler Support department managers do their best to help you improve metrics, but the metrics change so quickly that it is difficult to keep up. There is a culture of fear within the support department because everyone (except managerial favorites) is fighting to keep their job. The vast majority of my training class were fired or quit — there is a revolving door of turnover due to this company firing so many people. Career progression is based on how well you do within the first month or two of employment — if you're below the top five of your training class, obtaining a promotion is unlikely. It is also very difficult to maintain work life balance due to the excessive mandatory overtime. There were four hours of mandatory overtime per week from April to August. Working hours are unstable due to a shift bid that occurs every six months, which is also based entirely on metrics. The travel benefits that Grand Circle boasts about are extremely difficult for support employees to obtain, and PTO is difficult for support employees to use. Seriously, don't work here. I wish I listened to the Glassdoor reviews when I applied. I thought it was just disgruntled employees. but I was wrong.

Continue reading

"Micro Management and Constant Change"

Current Employee - Travel Specialist

I have been working at Grand Circle Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice coworkers within my group; good pay

Cons

New policies implemented on a daily basis. Everything micromanaged to the inth degree. Never able to relax in your job. Jim Jones value system used to destabilize employees so they will always worry about their jobs. If they don't like you, you're doomed no matter how high your sales are.

"Non-Traditional Workplace"

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Time Off Plan, Sabbatical, Nice People Overall

Cons

This place is very non-traditional and has a policy of 'thriving in change' basically meaning things change minute to minute, goals from yesterday, throw them out, entire departmental focus, that will change thrice yearly. Biggest Con is the regular hunger games style firing that seems to happen very often. Usually opinion based, often times just cruel, it was hard to witness.

Found 294 reviews