KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Grand Circle Travel Reviews

Updated Jun 26, 2021

Found 341 of over 372 reviews

2.9
Grand Circle Travel Chairman and CEO Alan E. Lewis (no image)
Alan E. Lewis
Pros
  • "Amazing travel benefits (been to 18 destinations with the company)(in 38 reviews)

• "lots of great people, good benefits, easy product to sell(in 24 reviews)

• Cons
  • "One of the values is "open and courageous communications"(in 23 reviews)

• "Company values of Open and Courageous Communication and Risk Taking are lip server(in 19 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Tough but good

May 31, 2021 - Sales Associate in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay, clear expectations and the values

Cons

Can become monotonous if you don’t make it fun

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Iffy worklife balance - minimal respect for individual employee growth, dying industry

Jun 17, 2021 - Customer Service Representative in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Opportunity to learn about the travel industry and the older segment of that market - Nice coworkers - If you're interested in working in downtown Boston, it's a great location (Seaport)

Cons

- Managers are overworked and pass that stress down to employees - Does not pay that well, but long work days - HR is not helpful - Highly metric driven, so if you're a qualitative person, this is not the role/or employer for you - Metrics by which we're asked to track our success are not always even possible, yet we were held accountable and, in some cases, employees were fired for factors completely out of their control -Ageism (funny-enough, given that the customer-base is over 50) is a slight problem here

4 people found this review helpful
    3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Work here if you like structure but beware

Jun 11, 2021 - Travel Consultant in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The training is rock solid

Cons

If you're looking for an opportunity to grow then this role will not lead to that. They promise a career development track for you but there really isn't room as you feel like you're stuck in the position. You move up to different sales tiers but that equates to a little increase in money earned. Some people are happy staying in the role but it's repetitive work and a pretty thankless job. Communication is not great, currently the company is severely understaffed and can't keep up with demand.

2 people found this review helpful
    4. 2.0

Mixed bag

Jun 15, 2021 - Sales Associate in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Inbound calls. Some cool people I guess.

Cons

Having to upsell in multiple categories. Difficult to achieve KRA’s Being anything but white is a huge barrier to being promoted. Kudos to the one black supervisor in sales! He worked so much harder than all of his white counterparts. One of my coworkers decided to tell me that she was uncomfortable with me being mixed race even though she’s gotten used to white people. A white supervisor then spoke to her about his wife feeling the same way about mixed people in front of me. It was a late night right before 9 so no one stopped them and they spoke over me when I told them they were rude and never addressed it again. Like how? The white managers and supervisors make it so difficult for brown and black staff to move up, that I think it set the tone for hate against mixed people there. Like slavery back in the day. I’ve heard “you people! You people! All you think about is race!” Shouted at a Latina from an old white dude. Well how could I not leave there thinking about race all the time? I worked so hard to stay in the same position. I had to say I wanted to be off the phone for two weeks to be trained more if I couldn’t move up teams and then without a word just moved me up. It’s because I could’ve been moved up already and they didn’t want to because I wasn’t easily liked there due to their blanket issues with race. The values are used against it’s employees. Don’t be fooled by the word structure. They’re oppressive. I would say that the sales role didn’t suck but the supervisors are come down on so hard for us not making unrealistic goals that they use those values to say it was us who didn’t work hard enough. The phone system has a plethora of issues that causes barriers to us and they say we should overcome those not get a new system. They also changed the sales role to more customer service as well so there’s less time to sell things. During the pandemic they gave everyone a 10% pay cut and without telling me they gave me a 15% pay cut and one day in like august 2020 I got random money. Turns out that’s the money I could’ve used at the beginning of the pandemic. They changed my role so many times to different departments and I never got a pay increase based on a promotion. It was like they rented me out to different departments for them to use me and promised me a position that they never gave me

3 people found this review helpful
    5. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

It's OK.

Jun 23, 2021 - Web Developer in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Travel Benefits, Decent time off

Cons

Weird company culture, crazy owner

6. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Beware! They make career promises and promotions that they do not keep!

Jun 9, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are No pros only cons

Cons

They promised raises upon completing more training to specialize in air and customer service so you could do more work but never gave any of us the raise. You Truly are and feel like a slave worker for them.

3 people found this review helpful
    7. 2.0
      Former Employee

Okay, but not fulfilling

Jun 26, 2021 - Customer Service Professional in Providence, RI
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Good location - Travel Benefits

Cons

- Overworked & underpaid - Expect employees to meet impossible metrics (especially during the pandemic)

2 people found this review helpful
    8. 4.0

Great Company for Growth

May 26, 2021 - Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Growth and development is organic here

Cons

I have none to add

9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

not good

Apr 9, 2021 - Travel Counselor in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great vacation time available. you can use it before accumulating. They invest a lot of time and effort in your training . You will gain many transferable skills .

Cons

Unrealistic goals and metrics. The work culture is toxic. Management uses gaslighting and fear to get employees to perform . Income does not match the amount of stress they put you through, especially for the call center and sales teams. No life and work balance. This business functions like a fraternity and team bonding practices are borderline hazing.

7 people found this review helpful
    10. 1.0
      Former Employee

Poor communication

Jun 26, 2021 - Director in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are opportunities often offered

Cons

Huge turnover, no sense of security in position

1 person found this review helpful