Grand Circle Travel Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 10, 2019

2.2
Alan E. Lewis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Casual dress code, nice are in Boston to work" (in 16 reviews)

• "The travel benefits are outstanding" (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • "Company values of Open and Courageous Communication and Risk Taking are lip server" (in 21 reviews)

• "Roles outside of the Call Center have more freedom/flexibility" (in 26 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great people, great benefits and grateful for the experience!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Grand Circle Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have had a very positive experience since joining Grand Circle Travel more than a year ago. I have a great manager and enjoy the people that I work with who are extremely nice, hardworking, and passionate about what they do. The company offers generous benefits which include health, dental and vision, transit and parking subsidies, 401K with a match program, tuition reimbursement, casual dress code, travel benefits, and much more. One of the unique benefits here is the Wellness Program, including an onsite gym. Through the Wellness Program employees can participate in onsite Yoga, Reiki, Meditation and have access to a full-time Wellness coach who is amazing and inspirational. We work hard, but we also get to play hard and enjoy fun things like summer BBQ’s, departmental celebrations, and the annual holiday party. The company motto is “We help change people’s lives” which is evident not only by our traveler’s testimonies but also by the Community Service work that is done both locally in and around Boston and globally. Grand Circle employees are able to participate in monthly events that help to give back to the local community and through the Grand Circle Foundation, the company is very generous in giving time and money to the underserved and underprivileged communities around the world. I am very proud to work for a company that does so much good in the world and that truly helps to change people’s lives.

Cons

I have no cons to express at this time.

"Good benefits"

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time

Pros

good benefits, coworkers, 9-5 job so you can have your personal life etc

Cons

the computer systems is old

Advice to Management

none

3. "Always Busy"

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time

Pros

The people
    Great Benefits
    Company Events

Cons

Always have OT
    Way to many changes

"Program Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is relatively higher compared to other companies in the industry. However, it is very much subject to your job function.

Cons

Although the company lists the open communication as the core value of the company, it doesn't practice it itself. The promotion, organization changes are very arbitrary and way too political in nature.

"Take Action!!!"

Pros

Location and individuals. Travel perks although they are used as just bait to manipulate employees .

Cons

Read every comment on this board and you’ll understand the negativity, harassment and toxicity of the company. In order to really change this environment, a band of people who have the courage need to go public with the travesty of Grand Circle. It’s time to expose the place for what it is. Call a local media outlet, I bet they would jump on the story to be told. This also will expand the troubles of this visible company to many of its customers.

If you don’t take action, the same thing will continue to happen.

Advice to Management

Advice only works when the receiving party listens. It’s time for this company to be exposed.

"A risky career move and a miserable work environment"

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's tempting to do nothing but bash this place. However, I loved my team, had a great manager, got promoted, and made good money here. I received opportunities that a more functional company would never have entrusted to someone with my lack of experience (more on that below). The product is fantastic, though that fact is obscured by an inane marketing strategy and incompetent web team (seriously, just try to navigate the website efficiently).

Cons

While I appreciate my hiring manager taking a chance on someone like me, with little to no experience in my desired position, it's indicative of a huge problem: Grand Circle is so toxic that they lose any employee with talent and can't recruit qualified prospects. From the top down, very few people know what they're doing. Insecurity causes most managers and employees here to be cruel and lash out (a behavior which is modeled after the childish psychopath who's in charge of the company).

The fortunate quit of their own volition. On the other hand, many rising stars are eventually promoted into positions for which they have no qualifications. For a short while, they can do no wrong. Then they inevitably make a mistake and are shown the door—sometimes violently. I'm not joking; the CEO has gotten physically violent while firing people.

If you are an ambitious person, it may be tempting to come to a company where the pay is high and people get promoted so frequently. I'll warn you: when it comes time to find your next job, you'll lack the necessary skills and qualifications to be hired anywhere else, because Grand Circle is operating as if it's still 1995. Absolutely STAY AWAY if you're in the marketing field. They still haven't moved on from direct mail, for crying out loud. Your career is not worth risking for this place.

Advice to Management

Advising these people is a waste of time. It seems their only goal is saying yes to the boss to save their own necks.

"Not Worth It"

Pros

Great Product to be sold, but everything else is a miss

Cons

Oversell and under deliver on Corporate culture and compensation - cult/fraternity type management doesn't know what they're doing

"Stay Away"

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time

Pros

Depending on your manager, the hours can be pretty flexible.

Cons

The place is an organizational mess. Bunch of yes-men in charge with no management skills. Can't put into words how ridiculous and delusional the owner is. Constantly intimidates employees and feels the need to put down any differing beliefs. Terrifying that a company that operates in this manner actually exists. No matter how desperate you may be, I would avoid taking a job here.

Advice to Management

Company won't be able to improve as long as same execs and owner are directly involved. Company is becoming a dinosaur and won't last another 5 years.

"Just Know When To Leave"

Former Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic wellness program
    Benefits
    Potential to learn a lot and meet great people

Cons

To prospective employees: while my instinct is to say “don’t’” or “run” like the legitimate reviews here, here is my advice if this place is currently your best option like it was mine. You could have a decent experience at GCC for a little while, especially if you have a manager who protects you from the inherently toxic culture, but keep your resume updated. Know when it’s time to reclaim your autonomy/self-respect and leave of your own volition. Every day people joke about the negatives- how easy it is to get fired, the owner’s temperament, even how many desks you’ve sat at due to constant reorgs, but at one point the cognitive dissonance wears off and it’s just not funny how miserable everyone is. Few have managed to stay for years while remaining level-headed, compassionate, and humble, and I honestly congratulate them while counting them on one hand.

The People and Culture department (HR) does a great job considering the Sisyphean work they’re tasked with, so when I say culture I’m not blaming them. I’m referring to the fear/intimidation techniques employed by the upper management that trickles down to through each tier of associates beneath them. Hardworking but completely inexperienced people are catapulted into inflated titles and positions of leadership if they speak the Grand Circle cult language and cozy up to the right upper management. Underqualified but brimming with hubris, they then run teams into the ground, and proceed to jump to new ones before accepting any blame.

The “values” of GCC are contradicting and set you up to fail. “Open and Courageous” communication encourages associates to be unnecessarily rude, demanding, and often downright cruel to other. The attitude stems from the frequent temper tantrums of the owner, who is a childish bully and puppet master. His calculated intimidation tactics are darkly fascinating to witness. This review is long enough without citing the myriad of examples of management’s abuse, but find any of the reviews about this year’s Businessworks skit fiasco. It was almost six months ago and he’s still punishing the entire company for his own embarrassment (taking away perks, bonuses, outings, etc).

The pros of working at GCC (meet some great people, learn a lot, potential to travel, fantastic Wellness program and benefits, a really cool product) are heavily outweighed by the cons. This place will challenge your integrity. Just be prepared and know your worth.

Advice to Management

Everyone at GCC takes this Predictive Index test. The results are said to never change no matter when you've taken it throughout your life, unless you've been through a traumatic event. An associate once said that before she worked at GCC she had different tests results, and realized that working at GCC was her traumatic event. She was laughing about it, but let's all think about that for a second. Working under you isn't just bad, it's traumatic.

Start over. Do better.

"Unfortunate waste of time"

Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Grand Circle Travel (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great parties and food for employee's

Cons

Call center treated like separate company not given same opportunities as other departments for advancing career.
    If you do not go out with the "in crowd" and get smashed after work you will not get far
    People are promoted based on favoritism not talent
    Metrics and managers change daily so good luck succeeding at them

Advice to Management

Micromanagement fear tactic - does not help an employee to grow.