Grand Prairie Independent Schools District Reviews | Glassdoor

Dr David Barbosa

1. "Paraprofessional"

Former Employee - Paraprofessional in Grand Prairie, TX
    Former Employee - Paraprofessional in Grand Prairie, TX

I worked at Grand Prairie Independent Schools District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GPISD is on a high of change for the better across the community.

Cons

Work loyalty within the organization was pushed upon but not reinforced. School environment should be a close knit family especially because of the industry. No set standards while I was present at the school.

Advice to Management

Don't forget who you are and what you are meant to be creating. You build from within the organization to create an amazing atmosphere for an awesome environment.

2. "line cook"

Former Employee - Line Cook in Grand Prairie, TX
    Former Employee - Line Cook in Grand Prairie, TX

I worked at Grand Prairie Independent Schools District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved working here. great hours and learning experience.

Cons

cant really complain about this job

Advice to Management

really great place to work

3. "Avoid this district"

Former Employee - Teacher in Grand Prairie, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher in Grand Prairie, TX

Pros

Strong teachers on my team (if only anyone had noticed). Teachers generally had each others' backs since this was a difficult place to work.

Cons

1. Dishonest administration. I was hired for a very specific vocational program tied into my doctorate; I had taught this for years in a better district. It was so specific that they contacted me to recruit me; I did not contact them first. Less than a week before school started the Principal who hired me was replaced and I found out that I had been "hired" for a position that never existed. I was put into a different department to teach a subject I'd never taught before. Instead of advanced students, I had the gang members and druggies. In GP, THAT's how they fill a position nobody wants. By the time I found out, positions in other districts had evaporated. I spent my one year in GPISD frantically searching for a real job.

2. Dangerous conditions; facility was a dump; restrooms backed up. Classroom smelled so bad I had headaches. Sometimes water would not work in building for a few hours. Neighborhood was so dangerous that our School Resource Office had to shoot a guy near campus one day. Not on campus, but still . . . One of my students was shot in the brain off campus during a drug deal (not that he ever came to class much anyway). Drugs were all over campus. One restroom had to be shut down due to heavy marijuana use one day, and nearby classrooms reeked so badly that people were getting sick from the marijuana smell. We started calling that the "420 Hallway." Administrators refused to come to my room several times when I reported students under the influence. On one occasion, I was written up for not being in my classroom when the bell rang. I was trying to break up a fight in somebody else's classroom, and no administrators were responding. They had time to spend a "Mentor" to my classroom to observe me for the billionth time, but not the time to break up a fight. When someone brought in a gun they would wheel out portable metal detectors; after a few days, they would literally be wheeled back into a closet.

3. Bizarre administration approach to learning. They assume teachers are incompetent and we sit hours and hours of extra training not required by other districts. We listened to a lecture on how our favorite color relates to our teaching ability. After listening to the presentation, none of us changed our minds on our favorite colors. The Administrators chewed us out for not taking professional development seriously since apparently the purpose of the exercise was to see what new favorite color we would pick. They place all emphasis on having the perfect lesson plan. One Administrator bragged that they will become so good at writing plans that in the future they will be able to do teacher evals without actually observing teachers teach. I once had to cancel a tutoring session for a special ed. kid who had never come in for tutoring before. Instead, I spent 90 minutes EVALUATING THE VERB CHOICES of a different department's lesson plans. When I asked to leave to tutor the student (during finals week) an administrator said that if I did not take professional excellence seriously that I should "find a different professional address."

Verb choices and the teacher's favorite color apparently have more value in GPISD than tutoring, calling parents, buying a meal for a homeless student, etc. They place no value on the ability to form meaningful relationships with one's students.

My final point: lack of attendance. Teachers sign attendance verifications without reading them. Students roam the building, walk off campus, pop Xanax in the restroom, etc. Attendance is a joke, and administration does nothing about it. If you're unwise enough to try to enforce this and/or to contact administrators, they just say that if you were a better teacher the kids wouldn't be skipping class. If I'm so bad that my students are compelled to get pregnant (one class had 30% of females pregnant), use drugs, carry weapons, etc., why weren't my students in my previous district doing that?

Different professional address? Done.

Advice to Management

Spend more time monitoring the students than you do monitoring your teachers. Bad lessons aren't the reason your students are skipping class, doing drugs, and carrying weapons. It's the other way around: absences, drugs, and weapons are the reasons that good lessons don't make a difference in your school. I'm glad I got out without getting shot or having my tires slashed.

5. "Great Opportunity"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Grand Prairie Independent Schools District (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to make my own schedule. I love substituting for GPISD. They are very professional.

Cons

Jb is not consistent. You must always be on the lookout online for open positions.

"Burning teacher out"

Pros

I work with some of the best teachers that I have ever come across In twelve years of teaching. These teachers are experts in their content area and they are very knowledgeable in pedagogy. The students are great kids. There are not really any big discipline problems.

Cons

The district took away our planning block and made us teach an extra class. Most other districts that make you teach an extra pay you an additional $6000 but not here. They didn't replace teachers that left so class sizes went up. Result is if you plan to teach in Grand Prairie plan on having 200 plus students. The hours are ludicrous. I am putting in over 60 hours a week and I am cannot get everything done. Pay for forty hours of work but demand 60 plus hours. Great business plan. The stress level of the teachers is off the charts. I came here because I was told they had mandatory planning periods for teachers - well thats gone. Not many reasons to stay and too many reasons to leave.

Advice to Management

So making the teacher teach an extra class is whats best for the student? You already knew that this would result in a huge turnover in teachers but you went forward with the plan anyway. You like being innovative as demonstrated by Dubiski, The Fine Arts Academy, and such but how about you demonstrate some innovation and solve your problems somewhere beside on the back of the teacher that makes you look so good. This latest round of demands clearly demonstrates that you really do NOT care about the well being of the teacher. Every administrator should be required to teach one core class and meet all the responsibilities and requirements that they are demanding. I wonder what changes would be made then. There's some innovation!

7. "Summer Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Grand Prairie, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Grand Prairie, TX

I worked at Grand Prairie Independent Schools District (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is really really nice and helpful

Cons

No paid positions were available.

8. "SLP"

I worked at Grand Prairie Independent Schools District full-time

Pros

AWESOME network of SLP's!! Great support for SLP Interns. The district is on the forefront of new technology and really support incorporating technology into evaluation and therapy.

Cons

The district puts the students through a lot of testing. No major cons for SLPs.

9. "Grand Prairie ISD"

Pros

The students and staff are wonderful

Cons

The upper administration is horrible and treats it's employees like dirt.

Advice to Management

Go teach a class for week and think about how YOU would feel if you were treated like many of the teachers.

10. "Ok, but lots of extra work/hours"

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Grand Prairie, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Grand Prairie, TX

Pros

GPISD tries to keep up with technology and things to help kids.
    Decent pay compared to surrounding districts

Cons

Lots of micromanaging
    Teacher hours seem longer than neighboring districts
    Lots of extra duties expected with no compensation. Not very considerate of teachers' time.

Advice to Management

Let the teachers teach and back them up with behavior issues.....that's what making schools "bad", not the teachers.

11. "Good place to work."

I have been working at Grand Prairie Independent Schools District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Very understanding if family issues arise. Great vacation and personal days. More laid back than corporate job.

Cons

Slowly changing environment and feels dated in certain areas. Communication between departments is not great which can lead to confusion and delaying projects.

Advice to Management

Instead of accepting every project that come along ask the expert staff available for viability and timelines. Projects would go smoother and everyone needs to be on the same page.