Grand Prairie Independent Schools District Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Sub. Teaher"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Grand Prairie, TX
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Grand Prairie, TX

I have been working at Grand Prairie Independent Schools District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The children, employee potluck, friendliness

Cons

Subs cannot be full time and there is no benefits. Some teachers look down on the Substitute teachers. Sometimes we do not get the same respect as teachers do.

Advice to Management

Hire Subs as full time employees with benefits or raise the pay for the ones who hold a degree. Recognize Subs and give bonuses.

2. "Good district"

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Grand Prairie Independent Schools District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good support. Good technology.

Cons

Some admin are still "old school"

3. "Teacher/Instructional Coach"

Former Employee - Teacher/Instructional Coach in Grand Prairie, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher/Instructional Coach in Grand Prairie, TX

I worked at Grand Prairie Independent Schools District (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great district with a lot of support and on-going training.

Cons

Cannot thing of any I worked with district for 15 years and was very satisfied with my job and opportunities.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

4. "Amazing jobs with cool perks"

I have been working at Grand Prairie Independent Schools District full-time

Pros

Helping kids grow into better people everyday

Cons

The lack of organization of the everyday works at SGP

5. "Doesn't take care of their employees"

Current Employee - Secondary Science Teacher in Grand Prairie, TX
    Current Employee - Secondary Science Teacher in Grand Prairie, TX

I have been working at Grand Prairie Independent Schools District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay well in terms of annual pay. BUT no bonuses for doing well or working overtime.

Cons

Do not take care of their employees, and are very disorganized in giving out information about health and dental insurance. They expect the teachers to work over 60+ hours, 6:30-5:00 PM (Not typical school hours)

Advice to Management

Needs work on organization

6. "Not recommended"

I worked at Grand Prairie Independent Schools District full-time

Pros

Children were great to work with and the majority of the parents.

Cons

Teacher's were not supported. Tyrannical principal did not like children nor people. In a two year period it 90% of teachers moved to different schools or stopped teaching due to poor principal. After leaving the principal was moved to different school and demoted to assistant principal.

Advice to Management

Listen to teachers. Almost all teachers work hard to get their students where they need however when complaints are put in for poor leadership teachers seem to be dismissed. A school should not have to fail to proof poor leadership. Look at the number of teachers leaving a school whether moving to a different school or resigning. If they were happy with their leader they would go out of their way to stay.

7. "Paraprofessional"

Former Employee - Paraprofessional in Grand Prairie, TX
    Former Employee - Paraprofessional in Grand Prairie, TX

I worked at Grand Prairie Independent Schools District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GPISD is on a high of change for the better across the community.

Cons

Work loyalty within the organization was pushed upon but not reinforced. School environment should be a close knit family especially because of the industry. No set standards while I was present at the school.

Advice to Management

Don't forget who you are and what you are meant to be creating. You build from within the organization to create an amazing atmosphere for an awesome environment.

8. "line cook"

Former Employee - Line Cook in Grand Prairie, TX
    Former Employee - Line Cook in Grand Prairie, TX

I worked at Grand Prairie Independent Schools District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved working here. great hours and learning experience.

Cons

cant really complain about this job

Advice to Management

really great place to work

"Avoid this district"

Former Employee - Teacher in Grand Prairie, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher in Grand Prairie, TX

Pros

Strong teachers on my team (if only anyone had noticed). Teachers generally had each others' backs since this was a difficult place to work.

Cons

1. Dishonest administration. I was hired for a very specific vocational program tied into my doctorate; I had taught this for years in a better district. It was so specific that they contacted me to recruit me; I did not contact them first. Less than a week before school started the Principal who hired me was replaced and I found out that I had been "hired" for a position that never existed. I was put into a different department to teach a subject I'd never taught before. Instead of advanced students, I had the gang members and druggies. In GP, THAT's how they fill a position nobody wants. By the time I found out, positions in other districts had evaporated. I spent my one year in GPISD frantically searching for a real job.

2. Dangerous conditions; facility was a dump; restrooms backed up. Classroom smelled so bad I had headaches. Sometimes water would not work in building for a few hours. Neighborhood was so dangerous that our School Resource Office had to shoot a guy near campus one day. Not on campus, but still . . . One of my students was shot in the brain off campus during a drug deal (not that he ever came to class much anyway). Drugs were all over campus. One restroom had to be shut down due to heavy marijuana use one day, and nearby classrooms reeked so badly that people were getting sick from the marijuana smell. We started calling that the "420 Hallway." Administrators refused to come to my room several times when I reported students under the influence. On one occasion, I was written up for not being in my classroom when the bell rang. I was trying to break up a fight in somebody else's classroom, and no administrators were responding. They had time to spend a "Mentor" to my classroom to observe me for the billionth time, but not the time to break up a fight. When someone brought in a gun they would wheel out portable metal detectors; after a few days, they would literally be wheeled back into a closet.

3. Bizarre administration approach to learning. They assume teachers are incompetent and we sit hours and hours of extra training not required by other districts. We listened to a lecture on how our favorite color relates to our teaching ability. After listening to the presentation, none of us changed our minds on our favorite colors. The Administrators chewed us out for not taking professional development seriously since apparently the purpose of the exercise was to see what new favorite color we would pick. They place all emphasis on having the perfect lesson plan. One Administrator bragged that they will become so good at writing plans that in the future they will be able to do teacher evals without actually observing teachers teach. I once had to cancel a tutoring session for a special ed. kid who had never come in for tutoring before. Instead, I spent 90 minutes EVALUATING THE VERB CHOICES of a different department's lesson plans. When I asked to leave to tutor the student (during finals week) an administrator said that if I did not take professional excellence seriously that I should "find a different professional address."

Verb choices and the teacher's favorite color apparently have more value in GPISD than tutoring, calling parents, buying a meal for a homeless student, etc. They place no value on the ability to form meaningful relationships with one's students.

My final point: lack of attendance. Teachers sign attendance verifications without reading them. Students roam the building, walk off campus, pop Xanax in the restroom, etc. Attendance is a joke, and administration does nothing about it. If you're unwise enough to try to enforce this and/or to contact administrators, they just say that if you were a better teacher the kids wouldn't be skipping class. If I'm so bad that my students are compelled to get pregnant (one class had 30% of females pregnant), use drugs, carry weapons, etc., why weren't my students in my previous district doing that?

Different professional address? Done.

Advice to Management

Spend more time monitoring the students than you do monitoring your teachers. Bad lessons aren't the reason your students are skipping class, doing drugs, and carrying weapons. It's the other way around: absences, drugs, and weapons are the reasons that good lessons don't make a difference in your school. I'm glad I got out without getting shot or having my tires slashed.

10. "Great Opportunity"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Grand Prairie Independent Schools District (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to make my own schedule. I love substituting for GPISD. They are very professional.

Cons

Jb is not consistent. You must always be on the lookout online for open positions.