Grand Rapids Symphony Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Marketing Department"

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

Collaborative team environment, creative, hard working

Cons

Overall an amazing employer, no cons

2. "Worst internship of my entire life"

Former Intern - Intern in Bloomington, IN
    Former Intern - Intern in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Grand Rapids Symphony as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-Looks great on a resume
    -People from other departments quietly sympathized about how condescending the boss was and were encouraging to me about my future.

Cons

-Boss had never had an intern before; commanded me to do secretary-like tasks on a daily basis. Didn't trust me with much beyond moving posters and doing errands that he didn't want to do.
    -Staff were constantly leaving the department I worked in and I was forced to fill in the gaps they left. I was reprimanded daily for not doing the vacant person's job well enough, even though I was a minimally compensated intern, and was untrained.
    -I was given no written contract or outline of duties or hours, and this was used against me when I began another part-time job.
    -When I requested a change in department and/or duties to gain experience (the point of an internship), I was denied this request several times (no matter how politely or aggressively I asked) on the basis that I wasn't doing my free labor "well enough yet."
    -Boss constantly questioned my goal to pursue a master's degree in the field (he did not have one himself) after the internship.
    -Other staff complained about the boss to me, on a regular basis.
    -Boss yelled at staff members and musicians in his office and the entire office could hear it.

Advice to Management

Only allow staff members with management degrees directly related to their jobs to have interns. Only allow staff members who truly want student workers to succeed to have interns. Only allow staff members who want interns to benefit from the internship to have interns. Do not allow unreasonable staff members who simply want a free student worker for their own convenience to have interns. Providing a great internship experience is a huge responsibility and it should be planned, treated, and executed accordingly.

3. "Administration = Good People, Good Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MN

I worked at Grand Rapids Symphony full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lot's of recognition and thanks for the work you do, good upward mobility, people love the cause and feel passionate about working there

Cons

they have their share of difficult people but generally everyone gets along, senior management can be a little unpredictable.

Advice to Management

invest in marketing and infrastructure, not just musicians. The administration does just as much to keep that place alive as all the artistic talent and should be treated well for it.

"There are high expectations for job performance and kudos for a job well done at this friendly organization."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

A face-paced work flow with shifting priorities challenge the individual who works in the office. There is so much to do, time and deadlines are never long enough, yet the projects get done and in the end, beautiful music to appreciate.
    There is a great bunch of dedicated people in this place!

Cons

They should consider hiring a few more people to alleviate the pressure on the diligent people they have there.

6. "Ok. Not for those who need to support themselves or a family."

Pros

Interesting work. Chances to work events and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Good insurance and HRA, flexible work schedule

Cons

Very low pay for the level or work and stress. Like any organization they want you to generate more results with less investment. The company has not given raises in several years, but rather pay cuts. A single person could never afford to support themselves in the salary paid. Management styles are outdated and they seem to be out of touch with the world around them.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the times, attend a class or seminar. Management needs to let go of outdated methods. You must be willing to spend money for quality work to generate quality results. Employees must receive raises and praise, or else they will lose faith in the organization and walk away. Also, employees are not held accountable for their behaviors.