Grand Rounds Reviews

Updated May 28, 2020

4.2
Grand Rounds CEO Owen Tripp
Owen Tripp
Pros
  • "Grand Rounds actually walks the talk(in 47 reviews)

• "Mission-driven and extremely respectful of work-life balance(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "It is still a growing company so there are definitely growing pains as the company is continuously evolving so you need to be cool with change(in 15 reviews)

• "I seriously don't have any cons, at least at this point with Grand Rounds(in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work, Exciting Growth!"

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time for more than a year

Pros

Grand Rounds is growing quickly, and has been hiring the right people. The company is on an exciting trajectory and has been focused on maintaining the bar on hiring. There are many opportunities to grow your career internally through developing and evolving teams. In addition, the L&D team provides trainings and classes to develop and retain employees.

Cons

Buckle up as this is a fast paced environment! The company is growing up quickly, so employees need to be flexible, open minded and creative to keep up and enjoy their work and see the tremendous impact Grand Rounds is making on Healthcare.

Grand Rounds2019-09-30

November 7, 2019Sr. Dir. Employee Experience

Thanks for your feedback! As you note, with fast company growth comes opportunity for much professional growth as well. Whether you are taking on new responsibilities, learning new skills or embracing a new role, there is ample opportunity to learn and grow personally and professionally.

2. "Great company with great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time for more than a year

Pros

One of the most inclusive places I've ever worked at. I enjoy the office camaraderie and how all of the teams come together. Even though I don't work on the Care Team (like the majority of the office), I feel very welcomed and apart of the greater GR team. Leadership is transparent, and has been very frank and honest with our teams. Things change frequently, but that has given great exposure to other parts of the business and employees across the country. The people that I've gotten to work with have been phenomenal with their drive, passion, and work ethic.

Cons

Some processes could be more streamlined, rather than working with different individuals for every thing. Doesn't seem to majorly impact efficiency though

February 25, 2020Sr. Dir. Employee Experience

Thank you for your thoughtful review. We are so glad to hear you feel supported by our fun and mission-driven team and respected by the direct communications from our leaders. Changing healthcare is not an easy challenge to take on and we are honored to take on this big opportunity working side by side with team members that demonstrate extraordinary drive and passion. Yes - as we scale we will continue to find opportunities to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of our systems and processes. We are making investments company wide to create some meaningful changes and always look to the ingenuity of our team members to bring forth your ideas as well.

"Must be motivated and optimistic to endure."

4.0
    Current Employee - Care Coordinator Manager in Lewiston, ME

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great opportunity for continued growth. Exposed to many different projects/opportunities. Company is very patient centered. Great company culture and benefits.

Cons

Too much work for any one person and this is true of all roles, feels at times disorganized or trying to do too much causing less focus to complete whats needed to be done. Difficulty around accurate forecasting.

Grand Rounds2020-05-27

"Well Meaning But Messy"

Current Employee - Patient Care Coordinator in Reno, NV

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free healthcare, kind employees, empathetic environment

Cons

You will constantly feel as if you never quite know your job. It is fast-paced, and messy. Training is always inconsistent, and while management always promises improvement in this area, it's stayed quite consistently inconsistent. This means that care coordinators, the front-facing part of the company, are all over the board in terms of training and ability to perform their jobs. You will have more work on your plate than you can possibly complete in a day, especially the longer you have been there and the more capable you prove yourself. Most days it feels nearly impossible to do my job, but I keep showing up. It's always good to be in a challenging environment, but GR instead stops being challenging and instead is just downright frustrating. All updates come through a fast-paced messaging system called Slack, but if everyone is posting in all those channels your likelihood of catching an update and memorizing it for use later is an impossible ask. Managers and leads are often shaky on the updates themselves, and new processes and updates are unveiled so often that if you are gone for even a week you will have issues when you come back. The promises made to companies that hire GR for their services are nearly impossible to meet. As the company grows, it gets worse. I personally love working here, but I'm also aware that it's not something I could do in the long term. The people are nice and mean well, but I can't believe what a mess it is. The benefits are great, but I don't know if it's worth the stress. I don't recommend my friends to work here, that's for sure.

Grand Rounds2020-05-28

"Nice mission, poor business planning"

in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Grand Rounds

Pros

– Mission is one that matters and employees believe in it – Co-workers are kind – Work is challenging and there are many growth opportunities

Cons

– Leadership is not transparent or honest with employees. Executives appear to sugarcoat business updates and have lost employee trust. – Business planning is a mess and poor top-down decisions were made in 2019, resulting in mass layoffs. – Much of SF team does not appear to be happy and view HQ as a "commuter office" – There is significant favoritism for engineering hiring, resulting in lack of hiring and resourcing for other crucial company functions like marketing and HR. You will NOT have a successful business and product if 1. no one knows about it and 2. your employees are not properly supported.

Grand Rounds2020-03-07

"Wonderful mission but poor management"

I worked at Grand Rounds full-time

Pros

This product is truly helping to improve patient well being and overall access to quality care. Many of the people I worked with were smart, kind, and supportive. Flexible work hours and remote options

Cons

Leadership promises transparency and led employees to believe we were in a state of tremendous growth but ended up letting go of 10-15% of employees due to poor financial planing and hiring practices. Teams did not always communicate or work with one another and frequently would delay providing answers to questions or make it difficult to get questions answered, which is particularly challenging in an environment where the product and processes changed so frequently and drastically.

February 25, 2020Sr. Dir. Employee Experience

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are glad to hear your support for our products that are making a real difference in people's lives, thanks to the hard work of our smart and caring team. However, we are sorry to hear that you feel dissatisfied with other aspects of the business. We are fortunate to continue growing our business year over year as we seek to achieve our mission. Each year, we apply lessons learned from prior years and assessment of market changes to refine our strategy, operations and annual priorities and those processes get stronger every year. It is critical that we continually align our resources to support our business strategy in order to set up our company and team members for success. Our leaders strive to communicate with authenticity about what we are learning and how we are evolving so that we can stay focused as a company and deliver maximum impact to our members and customers.

7. "Great place to work!"

4.0
    Current Employee - Records Specialist in Reno, NV

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits, pay and culture!

Cons

Some promised growth opportunities that did not actually follow through.

Grand Rounds2020-03-04

"Great mission but poor execution"

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Wonderful and passionate colleagues who are committed to improving healthcare for all - The opportunity to work on an important problem like fixing healthcare navigation

Cons

- Terrible strategic planning, reckless hiring practices, poor financial planning, and green exec leadership - Salaries are all over the place, but most are below market rate - The customer is always right, even when member and product experience suffers - The care team is the heart and soul of the company but the exec team treats it like a glorified call center. Insurance companies made the same mistake so we’ll see how that turns out. - Lots of change and “strategic pivots”. Some other reviewers point to this as a badge of pride when it comes to startups. You decide what to think, but at this point I tend to think it means that leadership is a bit lost. But hey, chaos is a ladder I guess?

Grand Rounds2020-02-19
  9. "Dynamic Growth Company With Bright Future"

Current Employee - RVP, Customer Success in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Amazing team mentality. People take ownership for things and don't pass the buck. -Disruptive innovator in healthcare. There is massive opportunity for companies that can do things better/faster/cheaper for members and patients. Loads of running room. -Capable leadership team that has deep subject matter expertise, and actively manages the tensions inherent in a business at this stage of development.

Cons

-Change is constant. This is not necessarily a universal 'con', but can be for some people who function better in a more stable or predictable environment. If you are used to a steady-state environment, then GR may seem disorganized, but to me it is entrepreneurial: We don't have a process for XYZ, so you go make one! No one tells you to do it necessarily, you can just make it happen when you see the need.

Grand Rounds2020-02-09

February 25, 2020Sr. Dir. Employee Experience

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback! Great idea to provide more context and education on the market trends and macro context that shapes our business opportunity and provides insights on our customers needs. We will make sure to do that through our regular communications with our Leaders Forums and Monthly Company Meetings. We are fortunate to have strong subject matter experts in our leaders who are reimagining how Grand Rounds can address the core needs of personalized, affordable, high-quality care for all and making that vision a reality. We are proud of the impact we create in the lives of our 5+ million members (and growing!) and are grateful of the great ideas our team members contribute each day to make that impact even stronger.

"Mission driven but needs stronger focus to succeed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Grand Rounds full-time for more than a year

Pros

Mission driven and passionate Most teams take on a problem solving approach and truly want to solve healthcare complexities

Cons

Horrible planning requires drastic shifts and reductions Toxic and dysfunctional culture among certain teams Product needs significant overhaul to produce expected results

Grand Rounds2020-02-11

February 25, 2020Sr. Dir. Employee Experience

Thank you for providing your feedback. We are fortunate to have a mission-driven, passionate team that is focused on simplifying and solving some of healthcare's biggest challenges. As with all emerging growth companies, we continue to refine and improve our strategy, our products, and our operations each year such that we are stronger all the time. While the path to success is not always a straight one, we embrace continual learning and lean into new challenges with humility, drive and a growth mindset - always keeping our mission and values as our core focus.

Found 186 reviews