Grand Rounds Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Grand Rounds CEO Owen Tripp
Owen Tripp

Pros
  • Everyone at Grand Rounds is truly able to connect as a family from our CEO all through the company (in 24 reviews)

• I love coming to work everyday, and I love hearing about the differences that we make in people's lives (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • All of the growing pains you'd expect of a relatively young firm that just passed the 300 employees mark (in 11 reviews)

• I wish we could keep all of the interns that come to Grand Rounds (in 4 reviews)

1. "Smart and nice team"

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Grand Rounds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Nice, fun, and smart colleagues
    - The work we do can actually save lives, definitely one of the higher impact startups in the Bay Area
    - Over the past year, decisions have been made to better structure and organize various teams (in terms of management, team composition, etc.). Most teams are now very well run, organized, and supported. A few others need additional work but I trust they'll get there eventually.

Cons

Always in favor of more catered lunches

"Great company but some really concerning things eating at its core."

I worked at Grand Rounds full-time

Pros

* Great mission. The company provides services and products that actually help people.
    * Real dedication to patients
    * Nice and friendly work environment. People treat each other with respect.
    * Cares about employee wellness.

Cons

* Not a meritocracy
    * Politics, gossip, rumors are eroding the culture and distracting talented employees from solving tough problems, and doing great work.

Advice to Management

* Please shift and keep the focus on the products and the mission.
    * Fix the culture -- have performance of managers be measured against real metrics of success.
    * Reduce rumors and politics. If GR persists in this state, it will lose out to other startups and companies and drive away talent, particularly technical talent.

"Strange communication"

I worked at Grand Rounds full-time

Pros

The vision of the company places patients first
    The CEO is charismatic and down to earth
    Your team becomes your family

Cons

-Lack of communication
    -Executives don't listen to feedback
    -Elitist mentality
    -Lots of uncertainty and gossip/whispers

Advice to Management

Don't treat your people as though they're replaceable or just another cog in the machine. Live up to the values of the company. Be open to change. Be up front and transparent.

5. "It all starts with the people"

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time

Pros

- Everybody came here with a pretty clear purpose in mind: fixing healthcare. Lots of personal experiences and reasons.
    - Good internal systems and clear communication channels across teams (Slack was recently implemented, which helps)
    - Not a lot of ego compared to other tech companies I have worked for (people are pretty humbled by the opportunity, it seems, and the other people they work with)
    - Almost obsessive dedication to the patient

Cons

- technology here = data and data science focus. not so much a con as something to be aware of
    - the company is focused on more financial metrics now as it's acheived real scale... that is causing some disruption with teams (not me particularly)
    - the experience of individual managers is varied... which means that some are better and some are worse at advocating for their teams.
    - no meal services beyond a free lunch at company meeting (snacks are really solid though)

Advice to Management

Hire more experienced managers. Speak more about technology/product at company meeting.

"Hard place to work once the 'start up' kool-aid wears off"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As an employee in the Reno office it is great to work for a company with a San Francisco feel. Snacks are provided and collaborative meetings are a monthly event. In addition the company provides great health benefits are a huge plus.

Cons

It is sad for me to see the reviews for the company going downhill and unfortunately I have to reiterate that they are all true.
    Cons:
    - upper management does not listen to individuals. Whole teams are dissolved to the detriment of patient care and case duration. Individuals are encouraged to speak up but management does not care to hear their suggestions and do not want to admit that maybe they made a mistake.
    - moving up within this company is extremely difficult. Managers are paid only slightly more than the individuals they are managing and since the managers are salaried they work dozens of hours of overtime each week without adequate compensation. This makes it difficult for individuals to want to move up into a management position.
    In addition promotions are based on performance but since individuals are graded against an impossible scale you see people who have worked at the company for over a year not given a raise/promotion because they can not meet these impossible standards. This results in employee morale tanking and work becomes a very toxic and stressful environment where people dread going to work.

Advice to Management

Really listen to your employees. If a whole group of people is saying something is wrong try to do something about it as opposed to ignoring it. If you want to save money look at ways to trim around the edges such as less or cheaper snack options or less expensive Christmas presents. It looks really bad when someones job is taken away due to money but expensive flights for remote teammates are still being booked. If changes do need to be made make them with everything in mind as opposed to reactionary drastic changes about circumstances that you think might happen in the future.

"Chaos and culture of passive aggression"

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time

Pros

Grand Rounds is an energetic, fast-paced environment, with some extremely skilled talent and bright minds who challenge others to grow. The work atmosphere is focused, but still relaxed enough that it doesn't feel too corporate (yet). Good, productive conversations are able to happen spontaneously, although that culture of open communication is not always driven by team leads. I have a decent salary, but that doesn't mean we have fair or merit-based compensation across the company.

Cons

Politics across leadership are damaging our ability to realize our full potential, and leaders are pitted against each other in the face of ongoing resourcing problems that are not being taken seriously by upper management. This leads to a lot of indirect strategizing and forming of back-room alliances, which hurts the teams, who are looking for a transparent plan and strategy.

We have a culture now where leaders and managers are purposefully letting things fail in order to draw attention to lack of resourcing in the face of an aggressive roadmap. Teams get re-organized with no input from the team members, but we are told they highly value our opinion after the fact. This has resulted in mistrust of management, and a lack of collaboration and respect.

Advice to Management

-Look at hard at where mistrust is happening across teams, and root that out of the company culture.
    -Greatly improve leveling and compensation standards so that people feel they are properly rewarded based on merit, and have clear goals to work toward.
    -Give us the resources we need to succeed; we have been getting a mixed message that "help is on the way" for far too long.

"Look past the facade for HQ roles"

Pros

The pros are covered by other reviews. In general there are employees who are happy at GR SF HQ, but also a good number who are unhappy, have left, are sticking it out for the benefits, or see their job as "a job," so look past the company's fantastic PR, Glassdoor and recruitment efforts. Look past the smoke & mirrors. Ask hard questions, and be aware of the turnover and negative reviews here in determining if it's right for you. There's a reason this company is no longer a Glassdoor top company to work for.

Cons

The cons shared in other reviews are true and worth expanding on.

-"Politics ruined our company": It's easy to get swayed by the charismatic company meetings and startup kool-aid, but beneath the surface and especially at the leadership level tactics like spying, bating, mind games, manipulation, CYA, intimidation, putting people against each other, and fear are used for political motives, ultimately creating a company wide culture that focuses on politics instead of good work. It's unfortunate and unnecessary.

-"Cliques": As also mentioned in other reviews, GR is not a meritocracy. Being part of the inner circle cliques is much more important than qualifications. Politics, relationships and keeping people in leadership roles they'd never get elsewhere because of their friendships with the right people trumps quality work output, respect for professions and retention. Some call it "growing pains," but it's more reflective of poor decision making from management that will happen regardless of the stage the company is at.

-"Leadership is focused on building a successful, venture-backed business, not on growing employees": Learning and advancement is mainly done on your own through doing work. Strong professionals, leaders, and managers at the top who educate, lead, inspire, motivate, pass along their expertise, and have both the hard and soft skills to be in those positions are lacking.

Advice to Management

-When those who are the problem are the ones trying to figure out the problem, and in charge of solving the problem, there's little hope. It's only really worth it if you're one of them.
    -Grand Rounds has an inspiring mission, but there are other companies doing similar things, and an inspiring mission (and benefits) will never be enough to keep people motivated and happy.

"Lots of opportunities for improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are great. You won't find better health insurance at any other company. There's also healthy snacks and drinks in the kitchen. We get lunch provided at least once a month. Unlimited vacation and sick time is pretty awesome. The team is pretty down to earth and is behind the mission that patients come first. The office manager is always planning fun events for us, so that we don't seem too much like a call center. Unfortunately, she left, so it will be interesting to see if that continues.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities. It's a starting role for new grads.

Advice to Management

Help develop your young employees who are eager to learn and grow with the company.

"Growth company that cares about managing growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No company is perfect. But there are too many growth companies that fall victim to the same growing pains. Grand Rounds is the rare company (at least among those I've seen in a couple decades in San Francisco) that is trying hard to manage its growth in a thoughtful way. At just ~300 employees, the company has a full time training director who is tasked with making sure that every individual gets the training they need to be effective in whatever role. There are frequent organized discussion groups for managers to learn how to manage -- and everyone from the C-suite to first-time managers actually shows up together to learn from each other. For staff earlier in their careers, there are discussion groups for becoming better professionals and taking that first step toward management. And for everyone, there are events ranging from monthly creativity+crafting circles through Employee Resource Groups for different affiliations. In short, the company is being remarkably thoughtful about how to grow and support its people while still growing the business.

Cons

There are still some drawbacks and it's not for everyone. A company that is in a fast growth phase puts a lot of pressure on employees to perform and to be flexible about their roles. Some people have occasionally struggled as their roles have evolved, even despite coaching and support from the company. Some infrastructure (like the IT helpdesk) is forced to make things work on very scarce resources (they try really hard, but until recently they were under-staffed).

Advice to Management

Continue to make the tough choices that are necessary to support growth. Overall the company is supportive and has shown a commitment to its people.

"Physician"

Pros

Outstanding work environment; focused on deliberate process improvement; team focused with excellent organizational support. Despite having 3 offices and remote employees, Grand Rounds does a fantastic job of promoting collaboration and collegiality, while maintaining focus on the core mission of the company

Cons

The current rapid growth phase places some strain on organizational processes. Managing across time zones can present complications (this is typically managed well, however).

Advice to Management

Stay focused on core principles during the phase of tremendous growth