Grand Rounds Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Grand Rounds CEO Owen Tripp
Owen Tripp

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Grand Rounds is on a business tear with a huge new client base last year (in 24 reviews)

• I love coming to work everyday, and I love hearing about the differences that we make in people's lives (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • All of the growing pains you'd expect of a relatively young firm that just passed the 300 employees mark (in 10 reviews)

• I wish we could keep all of the interns that come to Grand Rounds (in 4 reviews)

"Culture, Innovation and Learnings...oh my!"

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time

Pros

Transparent, collaborative environment, encourage self development, professional development programs in development to encourage growth, supportive, creative mindset, openly promotes healthy debate, data driven, compassionate, empathetic, a company with a heart, industry catalyst, flexible, impact focused, motivating, passionate for the journey, life focused

Cons

Demanding given current state, in transition from startup to scale (both pro and con), constantly changing (both pro and con)

Advice to Management

Keep the momentum and the heart.

2. "Patient care"

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Health benefits and free snacks.

Cons

They have an open door policy, but when it comes to talk to a manager, he is not interested in listening to your ideas. There is lot of favoritism. Some honest people are doing the job by following the processes, while others are taking short cuts to get good metrics and are the first to be promoted because promotions are based on numbers and not based on your hard work and dedication.

Advice to Management

Yes metrics are important but are not always right. Use those metrics to improve processes not to punish your employees. Analyse your people based on their dedication, flexibility and williness to help others. I had a lot of dreams when I came here but I came to the realization that not matters how much dedication I give, I won't be part of the favoritism group. Time to follow my dreams in a new place.

3. "overall good"

I worked at Grand Rounds full-time

Pros

Most of the people are nice and have team spirit.

Cons

did not notice any major cons.

Advice to Management

focus on agile

"Clinician"

Current Employee - Staff Clinician in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Clinician in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for a highly innovative, rapidly evolving company is refreshing coming from the clinical setting where nothing ever seems to change. I truly love my job at Grand Rounds. I love working with such brilliant minds who are motivated to improve healthcare for all. Not only do I believe in the work we do every day, it is also a lot of fun!

Cons

The down side to an ever-evolving company is that things are always changing, which can become exhausting.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate with the entire team. Stay true to our mission.

"Company for adults"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time

Pros

I have worked for a bunch of different startups. GR is a place for adults -- which is good/bad depending on your worldview. I like:

- good, market-based compensation scheme
    - friendly people who are focused on the work and their teams
    - no company hijinx or games
    - an amazing mission that people preach and bring to life with things like patients and docutors coming to our meetings
    - solid and improving leadership (more on this later)
    - unlimited vacation
    - clear and consistent feedback (I have heard this may not be as good on other teams)
    - CEO talks very directly and openly at company meetings and in the coffee room when I see him
    - this is also the best place I have ever seen for women. Period. I just learned that more than half of our leadership and company are women.

Cons

- like I saiid, it's for adults. So no keg parties or stairway trysts here. Good for me but it doesn't have that slightly manic drive that some people love.
    - as others have commented, there's a mixed bag on role changes. I have seen a lot of people (including members of exec staff) get promoted all the way up from lower roles but the company still isn't big enough to have great roles for everybody to grow into. I think they could do a better job talking to people about that.
    - it's healthcare, which carries extra responsibilities -- lots of extra process and security here
    - I would like managers to more more consistently encourage vacation across teams

Advice to Management

You are doing your best when you tell us what's on your mind. Keep it up and thank you for an amazing mission!

Apr 12, 2017 – CEO

Very helpful feedback; thank you for taking the time and thought. Feedback continues to be a key focus -- please don't hesitate to share with other teams what you find to be working (or not). We can... More

"Good company making its way through growing pains"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Grand Rounds (More than a year)

Pros

Great mission. Lots of smart, focused people who I really enjoyed working with. Nice office. Lots of data to build stuff on top of.

Cons

Company was going through an inflection point to get to the next phase of growth. There were times when politics put a damper on things.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on hiring the best and building the best, but not too quickly.

"Great company but some really concerning things eating at its core."

I worked at Grand Rounds full-time

Pros

* Great mission. The company provides services and products that actually help people.
    * Real dedication to patients
    * Nice and friendly work environment. People treat each other with respect.
    * Cares about employee wellness.

Cons

* Not a meritocracy
    * Politics, gossip, rumors are eroding the culture and distracting talented employees from solving tough problems, and doing great work.

Advice to Management

* Please shift and keep the focus on the products and the mission.
    * Fix the culture -- have performance of managers be measured against real metrics of success.
    * Reduce rumors and politics. If GR persists in this state, it will lose out to other startups and companies and drive away talent, particularly technical talent.

Apr 12, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for the feedback. I'd love to respond on the rumors/politics issue, but it's hard to do so without the specifics. And shame on me if I were to speculate on rumors and perhaps in so doing... More

"It all starts with the people"

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time

Pros

- Everybody came here with a pretty clear purpose in mind: fixing healthcare. Lots of personal experiences and reasons.
    - Good internal systems and clear communication channels across teams (Slack was recently implemented, which helps)
    - Not a lot of ego compared to other tech companies I have worked for (people are pretty humbled by the opportunity, it seems, and the other people they work with)
    - Almost obsessive dedication to the patient

Cons

- technology here = data and data science focus. not so much a con as something to be aware of
    - the company is focused on more financial metrics now as it's acheived real scale... that is causing some disruption with teams (not me particularly)
    - the experience of individual managers is varied... which means that some are better and some are worse at advocating for their teams.
    - no meal services beyond a free lunch at company meeting (snacks are really solid though)

Advice to Management

Hire more experienced managers. Speak more about technology/product at company meeting.

Apr 9, 2017 – Head of Product

Thanks for your feedback, we certainly are committed to fixing healthcare and remain very dedicated to the patient. While we do focus a lot on our data, we are definitely focused on other parts of... More

"Smart and nice team"

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Grand Rounds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Nice, fun, and smart colleagues
    - The work we do can actually save lives, definitely one of the higher impact startups in the Bay Area
    - Over the past year, decisions have been made to better structure and organize various teams (in terms of management, team composition, etc.). Most teams are now very well run, organized, and supported. A few others need additional work but I trust they'll get there eventually.

Cons

Always in favor of more catered lunches

"Hard place to work once the 'start up' kool-aid wears off"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As an employee in the Reno office it is great to work for a company with a San Francisco feel. Snacks are provided and collaborative meetings are a monthly event. In addition the company provides great health benefits are a huge plus.

Cons

It is sad for me to see the reviews for the company going downhill and unfortunately I have to reiterate that they are all true.
    Cons:
    - upper management does not listen to individuals. Whole teams are dissolved to the detriment of patient care and case duration. Individuals are encouraged to speak up but management does not care to hear their suggestions and do not want to admit that maybe they made a mistake.
    - moving up within this company is extremely difficult. Managers are paid only slightly more than the individuals they are managing and since the managers are salaried they work dozens of hours of overtime each week without adequate compensation. This makes it difficult for individuals to want to move up into a management position.
    In addition promotions are based on performance but since individuals are graded against an impossible scale you see people who have worked at the company for over a year not given a raise/promotion because they can not meet these impossible standards. This results in employee morale tanking and work becomes a very toxic and stressful environment where people dread going to work.

Advice to Management

Really listen to your employees. If a whole group of people is saying something is wrong try to do something about it as opposed to ignoring it. If you want to save money look at ways to trim around the edges such as less or cheaper snack options or less expensive Christmas presents. It looks really bad when someones job is taken away due to money but expensive flights for remote teammates are still being booked. If changes do need to be made make them with everything in mind as opposed to reactionary drastic changes about circumstances that you think might happen in the future.

Apr 20, 2017

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback, I'm sorry that you feel your concerns are not being heard. Service to our patients by providing them timely, quality care remains of utmost importance... More