Grand Rounds Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
Grand Rounds CEO Owen Tripp
Owen Tripp

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Grand Rounds is a rapidly growing company that truly cares about improving the lives of the patients that we serve" (in 37 reviews)

• "Work environment and culture are top notch" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "As expected with rapidly growing start-ups attempting to scale, there are expected growing pains" (in 13 reviews)

• "Grand Rounds is growing fast, and with that comes frequent changes" (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Incredible fast growing company"

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company growing incredibly fast to become one of the front runners of digital healthcare disruption in the US.

Every day is exciting and the company is adding a lot of employees each month.

Work environment and culture are top notch. They are hiring the highest caliber of employees and I really enjoy working with my colleagues.

Very good location of the office in San Francisco with a fantastic roof top. Lots of employee "fun" events. Tons of snacks. Lots of swag.

Cons

None really. This company is a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring the very best candidates.

2. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Staff Clinician in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Clinician in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Grand Rounds continues to be a redefine what a meaningful, impactful clinical career can look like. The company is experiencing amazing growth. This is exciting in that we are always tweaking our processes to better serve our members. Nothing grows old around here; there is constant innovation. Additionally, leadership truly attempts to get the individuals on the teams to either define or be involved in the workflow improvement process. We have meetings with our team members regularly where we discuss what we're doing, how we're doing it, changes that we can make. We also do a pretty good job of being kept up to date with changes that might be coming in the future. The company is very transparent. And it might sound trite, but we really do live by our company values. Patients are at the center of everything we as clinicians do. Lastly, no review would be complete without discussing the amazing people that we work with on a daily basis. Everyone is connected to the mission and is driven by improving the experience of those that we are serving. A lot of emphasis is put on whether or not someone is a right fit for the team, and it definitely shows.

Cons

The biggest con--for some individuals--is the rapid pace of change. We are in a competitive business environment, we're serving a rapidly growing member population, etc. As I mentioned above, we are constantly innovating and improving. Some individuals can struggle with this. However, we have built ourselves into very tightly knit teams, and the ability to work with and learn from your colleagues far outweighs any of these potential cons.

Advice to Management

Keep the teams updated on future company direction, and continue to allow clinicians the time and space necessary to serve members in a way that is unlike any other experience in healthcare.

"Amazing"

Current Employee - Physician Assistant in Erie, CO
    Current Employee - Physician Assistant in Erie, CO

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company truly changes lives. I've only been a part of GR since December, and I'm amazed at what we do on a daily basis. This is the first place I've worked where I am truly inspired and fully believe in the work that is being done. The atmosphere is positive, encouraging, supportive and so welcoming.

Cons

That I didn't start working here sooner.

"Company Glitters but Isn't Gold"

Current Employee - Care Coordinator in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Care Coordinator in Reno, NV

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The closest thing you will get to Apple/ Google working environment in a small city like Reno and Lewiston: unlimited snacks and drinks, monthly catered lunches, company swag (sweaters, shirts, gym bags, sun glasses, etc.), ability to work from home, casual dress, etc.

-Owen, CEO, actually knows many of his employees by name at the care centers. Now that I think about it, the CEO and other higher ups are made readily available for communication.

-The company made some internal organization changes at the Reno site which I think were fantastic choices specifically promoting Dave to recruiting and Charlene and Kat to lead positions. The company has hired more "less than fit" people for the roles than they have appropriate and the three above named were great choices.

-Team outings for lunch or group activities as a way for team bonding.

-Employee resources groups created to help with company culture; The Equality group is for LGBT members and allies and most new, Mosaic, to spread cultural diversity, which the Reno office highly lacks.

Cons

-The direction of the care team is slowing transforming into a glorified call center instead of a care center. We recently switched to a new phone system that is used in call centers. The most recents managers and care/ visit Coordinators that have been hired all have had some sort of experience in a call center background or something similar where they have dealt with high call volumes. Before, the people that were hired came from different backgrounds and experiences.

-Unless you are at HQ in SF, there is lack for growth at the Reno office. Most hiring and growth at the care sites are being primarily in Maine.

-One of our company values is Putting Patient First (as it should be for a healthcare company) however, more often times than not putting patient first is used a guise for 'as business needs'. To further elaborate, some of us care coordinators and visit coordinators will be volun-told (volunteer + told) to take on new tasks and responsibility even though we are not completely trained and though the managers provide "training" sessions those are more like unnecessary meetings that go over the new responsibilities and do not thoroughly give you tools and knowledge needed to succeed.

-Lack of diversity in leadership at the Reno site.

-Input is asked from the employees, but very little change is ever seen.

-Suspicious employees getting fired.

-I hardly see management getting "down and dirty in the trenches" with us; they mostly delegate activities even outside of work such as community service events I don't see them participating.

Advice to Management

Advice to Owen
    Although I gave Grand Rounds 4 stars, it was based primarily on the potential I see in this company and for taking care of the employees as well as you do. In terms on engagement and work satisfaction, i would rate the company a 2. The care site in Reno has lack of opportunities to grow. Reevaluate the Reno office and see if it aligns with your vision because I don't see call center as being part of that vision and if it is, the company is not as forward thinking as I thought it was.

Advice to Interested Candidates
    If you are a newly graduated student, Grand Rounds is great place to work for awhile. It's not your traditional place of employment. However, if you are seasoned worker or have been in leadership prior, this places will not fit you.

5. "Exceptional."

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Career opportunities exist at Grand Rounds that just aren't available in a traditional medical practice otherwise.
    The people truly are wonderful - driven, committed to the company values and to doing their best for patients.

Cons

Every company has faults, but nothing worthy to mention on a global scale.

"A Second Home"

Current Employee - Records Specialist in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Records Specialist in Reno, NV

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's not just a job, the Grand Rounds office is a community that gives and comes together. This isn't just different departments in the same office, it's a team that works in tandem to accomplish the monumental tasks laid before it. Feedback is routed to where it needs to go and will make the most impact and management tries to remain as transparent as possible.

In addition to the things you might expect to find, there's an incredible human element, one that can't be reduced down to a number on a paycheck. It's a sense of altruism, a responsibility to deal kindly with one another, and to empathize with those who might be going through their darkest days.

Grand Rounds runs on compassion and superhuman amounts of caffeine, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cons

It can be overwhelming at times, it's far too easy to become overly invested in work and making sure everything gets done.

Some positions within the company can feel undervalued, overworked, and underpaid for the groundswell of work required of them when compared to other roles.

Advice to Management

Record Specialists deserve a pay raise. They may not interact with patients, but their work follows them and is definitely not easy.

"It really is the best!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lewiston, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lewiston, ME

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Collaborative team environment committed to serving our members and customers. Super strong leadership with a remarkable focus on internal team.

Cons

Honestly, I've been here for over two years and am still struggling to find a con for this move.

"On a mission with a mission"

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mission driven employees who work hard and play hard. Company works hard to include all employees, even remote employees. Ever-changing Environment keeps people challenged and on their toes. Encouraged to take time as needed to maintain W/L balance. Employee benefits are exceptional!

Cons

High growth seems to have left a few departments a little lacking in direction. High growth also means a tremendous amount of new people that need a little time to come up to speed. Training is present and everyone will help, but sometimes you have to seek it out yourself. You need be to be a go-getter!

Advice to Management

Things are really, really good. The culture here is unlike anywhere I have ever worked before... Keep that! Continue investing in good people and they will invest back in Grand Rounds. Continue pushing employees to complete the engagement survey, it not only shows you how people feel, but shows them that you are taking steps to change what needs to be changed.

"We've built something special that I don't want to leave"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Continuous improvement: we strive to keep building and are delivering something that much more comprehensive than what we offered when I joined Grand Rounds. Because of this there's always more to learn and room to grow.

Patient-centric: At times I've taken this for granted because it is such an automatic way of doing things at Grand Rounds but it's actually taken great effort in how we hire and how we build things to preserve this.

Leadership: I like our leaders and want to deliver for them. I'm also proud of how they represent our organization in the market, which is extremely important to me.

Inclusive culture: I've never worked at a place that is so inclusive in every sense of the word. I'm a remote employee and feel that the company makes an effort to make me feel included, and in turn, I make an effort to be a part of things too.

Cons

I think we've hired a whole bunch of people who want to be perfect and want to deliver and this is mostly a really good thing. We work hard and thoughtfully and are proud of our work. I think we can do a better job of normalizing talking about what we're not perfect at just yet and where we want to improve.

"Account Management"

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time

Pros

Extremely passionate team of intelligent, driven people. Lots of company pride and team spirit. Employees truly believe in the company mission.

Cons

Lots of growth leads to everyone moving very quickly.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent with employees across all teams, even in the hectic times. Company meetings are a great forum to provide critical updates. Keep soliciting for new hire recommendations from employees - the great team continues to expand with referrals from current employees.