Grand Strand Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Doug White

1. "Registered Nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at Grand Strand Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Experience with diverse populations and high acuity.

Cons

Staffing is horrendous. Always short staffed.

Advice to Management

Stick to safe staffing ratios. Invest in a new documentation system. Hire CNAs and RNs that actually pull their weight and do the job they were hired to do instead of catering to "grandfathered" employees who sit in the break rooms all shift long.

2. "ER RN"

Current Employee - ER RN in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - ER RN in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at Grand Strand Health part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, great benefits, team work

Cons

High acuity, high volume, can be understaffed

3. "Horrible management. Horrible opportunities for advancement. Horrible schedule options. Horrible work place environment."

Former Employee - Phlebotomist in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Former Employee - Phlebotomist in Myrtle Beach, SC

I worked at Grand Strand Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great resume builder. Possible trauma unit experience,.

Cons

Horrible management. Horrible opportunities for advancement. Horrible schedule options. Horrible work place environment. Horrible pay.

Advice to Management

Increase Pay. Hire more employees for every job

5. "Phlebotomist"

Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at Grand Strand Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with and the company is amazing

Cons

The workload is tremendously tiring.

Advice to Management

We need more lab employees that will stay!

6. "CNA"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Myrtle Beach, SC

I worked at Grand Strand Health (More than a year)

Pros

The nurses let you do things you are in school for but not supposed to do

Cons

Cleanliness isn't a top priority, contact rooms run out of paper towels and when you call to get more they never show, they pay you nothing compared to other places and managers are never around to talk to, you make a complaint and excuses are made, nurses are there for the check list of things to do and go home not to actually listen or care for the patient

Advice to Management

Make the managers run the floor and not the CNAs, they want to know why they can't keep employees but they are never there or on the floor to see what actually happens all they care about are their meets to fix things but never actually do anything

7. "CNA"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Myrtle Beach, SC

I worked at Grand Strand Health part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of available hours to pick up
    Great learning experience

Cons

Very fast paced
    Confusing regulations
    All business, does NOT stand up for their employees

8. "RN - staff nurse"

Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at Grand Strand Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Teaching others what I have learned and taking care of the patients.

Cons

Outdated Meditech, corrupt management, only care about the bottom line, low pay, understaffed on purpose, frequently out of critical materials, medicines, equipment broken and not repaired, computers are old and function part of the time

Advice to Management

Stop creating forms for forms and policies just to have policies. Actually talk to the people doing the work to see what is needed.

"Worst hospital I've ever worked for"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Myrtle Beach, SC

I worked at Grand Strand Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are very few pros about this place. They hire a lot of new graduates which is great for new nurses to be able to get their start in nursing but it isn't good when an entire unit or most of the unit consists of nurses with only 1-2 years experience.

I did learn a lot while I worked here. Although the learning conditions were never ideal, I got a ton of nursing experience in a very short amount of time.

Cons

The pay was laughable. Being a relief charge nurse only earned you an extra 75 cents an hour. After a year of service, I was offered a raise of only 56 cents.

They are consistently understaffed to the point where being understaffed is the new norm. Units are expected to run, and run well, with a skeleton crew.

The ratios and acuity here are ridiculously high. On their Progressive Care Unit, the nurses would take on what many other hospitals would consider ICU patients, you would have up to 5 of these patients. More often than not, ICU patients that should be a 1 to 1 ratio are actually 1 to 2.

They use Meditech which is a dinosaur charting system. It isn't user friendly and forces the nurses to spend more of their time charting, taking time away from patient care.

New graduate nurses get 12 weeks of orientation. For critical care nurses, up to 5 weeks of the 12 week orientation are spent orienting on other units in the hospital. So you are actually only getting 7 weeks of orientation on the floor where you will be primarily working. In this hospital, lateral violence, workplace bullying, and nurses "eating their young" is everywhere and trying to learn in an environment like that is difficult, if not impossible.

Advice to Management

Since I left this hospital, both the directors of the ICU and PCU/CVICU have resigned. I think this is definitely a step in the right direction. There is a serious culture change that needs to occur in this hospital. Units are essentially pit against each other, fighting over limited staff and resources. There is an excessive amount of workplace hostility present in this hospital and management treats this as 'business as usual'. Trying to bring up this issues to management gets you no where. It just puts a target on your back. They all play favorites. For a hospital that always turns a profit, there never seems to be enough money in the budget for hiring new nurses and paying their nurses well. If they want to fix their high nurse turnover rates on their units, start by actually listening to the staff nurses and make an attempt to address their concerns. Change the culture from a culture of shame/blame to a culture of respect. They need an entire systems change to fix this place, it isn't just one unit or just one manager.

10. "ER RN Travel Nurse"

Former Employee - RN Supervisor Psychiatric/Substance Abuse in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - RN Supervisor Psychiatric/Substance Abuse in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at Grand Strand Health (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to function efficiently in the areas of triage, express care, behavioral health, trauma and general emergency room. Level I facility, 32 bed ER, 1:3-4 ratio,

Cons

The acuity is high for the ratio, it was a contract job and I could not afford to sign on permanent with the facility.

Advice to Management

Consider a higher rate of pay for permanent employees. This company is a great teaching facility that offers wonderful learning opportunities.

11. "Worst hospital to work with at Myrtle Beach"

Former Employee - ICU RN in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Former Employee - ICU RN in Myrtle Beach, SC

Pros

Being proud to be called as an RN with the big R-N initials besides your name. The hospital is owned by a billion dollar worth of company named HCA which is why they are for profit hospital. Pretty much thats it. I can't say anything I can be proud of with this worst hospital.

Cons

I guess everythibg is cons. Bad working environment, employees treat each other like enemies, look at yah from head to toe, single mistake means like you've done a whole huge damage, talk to behind your back, management never care for their employees, disgusting facility seems like they just clean and disinfect the elevators, restrooms, waiting area seats like knce in a blue moon. Sooo disgusting. Staffs never wash their hands! Nurse managers especially at 3 west are mean. Never trust them. They just want money!!!!

Advice to Management

Get off your self and do something!!! Don't ignore your employees don't priorize $$$$ !!!!!