Grand Strand Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Doug White

1. "They understaff frequently."

I worked at Grand Strand Health full-time

Pros

It is one of the best hospitals in the area. That being said, the quality of medical care in the area is average at best. They do pay for overtime, which most RNs have for nearly every shift. Travel Rns get treated better than full-time RNs.

Cons

Mandatory overtime for nurses, very few nurses with more than 5 years of experience, no commitment to nursing education, 8 patients/nurse on the med/surg floors, 5 patients/nurse PCU, 3 patients/nurse ICU is routine. Most nurses stay less than one year. Nurses end up doing the CNAs job too because there is no accountability for the CNAs. I checked my own patients fingersticks, BP etc while the CNAs sat around chatting because there was no one holding the CNAs accountable for how much work they did per shift. Made me miserable every shift, while I was running my entire shift overloaded with work, routinely did 1-2 hours of overtime to finish charting, seeing people that were supposed to help me take care of patients sitting around. Made me resentful.

They have a lot of travel nurses. They routinely fire all the travel nurses right before Christmas to make their books look better at the end of the year.

Advice to Management

You might find you save more money retaining good/great nurses rather than the constant turnover you have now. Just because Myrtle Beach is a destination place and you can always hire more RNs doesn't mean you should devalue the current employees. No one can remain at a job that is crisis managing every shift.

2. "Registered Nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at Grand Strand Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Experience with diverse populations and high acuity.

Cons

Staffing is horrendous. Always short staffed.

Advice to Management

Stick to safe staffing ratios. Invest in a new documentation system. Hire CNAs and RNs that actually pull their weight and do the job they were hired to do instead of catering to "grandfathered" employees who sit in the break rooms all shift long.

3. "ER RN"

Current Employee - ER RN in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - ER RN in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at Grand Strand Health part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, great benefits, team work

Cons

High acuity, high volume, can be understaffed

5. "Horrible management. Horrible opportunities for advancement. Horrible schedule options. Horrible work place environment."

Former Employee - Phlebotomist in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Former Employee - Phlebotomist in Myrtle Beach, SC

I worked at Grand Strand Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great resume builder. Possible trauma unit experience,.

Cons

Horrible management. Horrible opportunities for advancement. Horrible schedule options. Horrible work place environment. Horrible pay.

Advice to Management

Increase Pay. Hire more employees for every job

6. "Phlebotomist"

Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at Grand Strand Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with and the company is amazing

Cons

The workload is tremendously tiring.

Advice to Management

We need more lab employees that will stay!

7. "RN"

Pros

Unlike most hospitals, the doctors do not belittle or disregard nurses.

Cons

Ever wonder why Grand Strand always has so many available job openings? It's not because they are trying to increase nurse to patient ratios! The turnover rate is so high because the working environment is absolutely horrible! Bullying and lateral violence is almost a pre-requisite to work there. A newcomer will never know anything about nursing. If they have a way of doing things other than status quo, they are being hostile and severely lack clinical skills. If anyone questions the senior nurses on a unit they also have a bad attitude and they are hostile. If a new employee does not feel comfortable with a skill or procedure, they are the worst nurse they have ever seen, and will never work with that nurse again.

Also, in order to receive a raise at Grand Strand you have to complete a degree or certification, become an instructor and teach a certain amount of classes, be a preceptor, etc. To keep it from year to year, you have to complete just as much as you had to do to receive the raise.

Advice to Management

I would have more meetings with the newer personnel to get a good idea of the climate that currently exists at Grand Strand. I would also reconsider the continued employment of some of the senior nurses and nurse managers. Especially, some of the nurse training managers as well! Lateral violence is alive and thriving in your nursing units, and it goes unnoticed even encouraged in some!

8. "CNA"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Myrtle Beach, SC

I worked at Grand Strand Health (More than a year)

Pros

The nurses let you do things you are in school for but not supposed to do

Cons

Cleanliness isn't a top priority, contact rooms run out of paper towels and when you call to get more they never show, they pay you nothing compared to other places and managers are never around to talk to, you make a complaint and excuses are made, nurses are there for the check list of things to do and go home not to actually listen or care for the patient

Advice to Management

Make the managers run the floor and not the CNAs, they want to know why they can't keep employees but they are never there or on the floor to see what actually happens all they care about are their meets to fix things but never actually do anything

9. "CNA"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Myrtle Beach, SC

I worked at Grand Strand Health part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of available hours to pick up
    Great learning experience

Cons

Very fast paced
    Confusing regulations
    All business, does NOT stand up for their employees

10. "RN - staff nurse"

Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at Grand Strand Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Teaching others what I have learned and taking care of the patients.

Cons

Outdated Meditech, corrupt management, only care about the bottom line, low pay, understaffed on purpose, frequently out of critical materials, medicines, equipment broken and not repaired, computers are old and function part of the time

Advice to Management

Stop creating forms for forms and policies just to have policies. Actually talk to the people doing the work to see what is needed.

"Management"

I worked at Grand Strand Health full-time

Pros

The only pro is location and in my opinion, the only reason that the hospital is busy.

Cons

Discrimination is rampant and if you do not "fit" in with one of the clicks, you will not be successful. Staff are always in fear of loosing their jobs. Beware that if you leave thee that the management team will blackball you in the region. I actually saw this several times. Short staffing is the norm to where it is past unsafe. Regulatory violations are everywhere. The CNO is the worst and is more interesting in looking good to HCA than in providing safe care. Stay away from this place at all cost!

Advice to Management

HCA needs to come in and start from the top and go all the way down with a new leadership team. This includes the CEO, CNO, and all the directors/managers and nursing supervisors. The clicks need to disappear for this facility to once again provide safe care.