Grand Targhee Resort Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Geordie Gillett

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Place, Great People"

I worked at Grand Targhee Resort full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good vibe at the resort itself, friendly staff, and definitely opportunities to enjoy the outdoors

Cons

Lacking recognition for a job well done, sometimes short-staffed

Advice to Management

We can't let GTR outgrow itself.

2. "Activity Center"

I have been working at Grand Targhee Resort part-time

Pros

Work with cool people. Free skiing at Grand Targhee is hard to beat. Got to alternate ride breaks with coworkers.

Cons

Hard to advance. Low Pay

Advice to Management

Reward the people that work hard and do a good job to keep them around

3. "Almost too laid back"

Former Employee - Front Desk
    Former Employee - Front Desk

I worked at Grand Targhee Resort full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun resort hidden in a beautiful part of Wyoming. Friendly guests, music festivals. Good place for people wanting a seasonal job but not in the hustle and bustle of a big resort.

Cons

Cocky supervisors who think they are better than you. Interview process is shady and not in depth. No options for meals that are cheap at the resort as a employee. Pay is crap for where we live when you can work in Jackson for $16 an hour.

Advice to Management

Senior staff needs to take oppurtinites to get to know employees better. We are the first people guests see. We need to be taken care of.

May 18, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. At Grand Targhee Resort we value the input of our current and former employees. A majority of our employees choose to work with Grand Targhee Resort, and return multiple... More

4. "Don't waste your time."

I worked at Grand Targhee Resort full-time

Pros

None that I know of.

Cons

Grand Targhee advertises that it has decent pay and great benefits, but don't believe the hype. After working at multiple other ski resorts, the pay is a joke here, the benefits are non existent and hours are so budgeted that you'll need to find one or more other jobs to survive. It's clear that other reviews in this page are written from within, but when the company hires you at full time work, and you only receive 20 hours at most per week because they are watching their budget, the scam really starts to show.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees a wage where they can survive, not one that forces them into poverty in one season.

May 18, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. At Grand Targhee Resort we value the input of our current and former employees. We strive to keep our wages competitive within the ski industry and with resorts of... More

"Good seasonal job, great location"

I worked at Grand Targhee Resort part-time

Pros

Good group of employees, smaller resort with a great atmosphere, pay is similar to other resorts, perks are good and you can't beat the location.

Cons

Need more recognition and free cat skiing for employees

Advice to Management

Don't let the resort outgrow itself

"mom and pop resort with the best powder"

I worked at Grand Targhee Resort full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Targhee provides a great working environment with some of the best skiing around. Lots of friendly folks working at this resort. Great employee benefits (deals in town and on mountain) throughout the season. Loved the location of the resort in the middle of Targhee National Forest!

Cons

Downside of Targhee is that employee housing is fairly far away, although there is an employee shuttle for getting folks to work!

7. "Great Non-Corporate Resort, In an Amazing Location"

I have been working at Grand Targhee Resort (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great employee perks, pay is consistent with ski and summer resort averages, and recreational opportunities are amazing (your working on a mountain, in the Tetons). Management is approachable including the GM, and they genuinely care about their employees. There is a different culture from the larger, corporate resorts of the world.

Cons

Communication between departments could improve.

Advice to Management

Continue to create strategies that enhance the employee experience.

"Don't work for them"

Former Employee - Housekeeping in Alta, WY
    Former Employee - Housekeeping in Alta, WY

Pros

It's located in a beautiful part of the mountain and some of the benefits are good like being able to snowboard for free.

Cons

Pay sucks, management doesn't know what they're doing, they would rather keep the employeesame that don't care or want to be there about anything rather than the ones that careven and do want to be there. They have a program where they bring international college students to work for them and they give all the hours to them who are only there for a few months then the employees that are there to work and need the job to live. Basically all of the employees smoke weed and are heavy drinkers. The housekeeping mangers allow their employees to smoke weed and drink on the clock and deny it when they're comforted about it. There is a lot of drama that goes around and management is apart of it. They like to go with the majority weather they agree with them or not. They put there employees down with everything they do even if they do a good thing. There is no room for improvement. You won't get promoted no matter what you do to get it. Houseing is overpriced for just a room and getting in contact with the housing Manger is nearly impossible. Overall it's a terrible place to work.

Advice to Management

Fire the people that are running the resort to the ground and hire people that want to be there and want to improve the resort.

Jul 18, 2016 – HR Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. At Grand Targhee Resort we value the input of our current and former employees. As indicated by the response from our employee survey last year the vast majority of our... More

9. "Grunt/peon"

Pros

Working in the Tetons and beautiful scenery.

Cons

Housing sucks way to expensive lack of communication and effort on all parts of operating procedures and they only hire alcoholic 20 year olds

Advice to Management

Get out while you still can

Jul 18, 2016 – HR Specialist

"Fun place to ski bum for a winter"

Former Employee - HOUSEMAN in Alta, WY
    Former Employee - HOUSEMAN in Alta, WY

I worked at Grand Targhee Resort full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good people, great free skiing!

Cons

pay is not good, management is terrible