Grange Insurance (Columbus) Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
John Ammendola

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits, work/life balance, innovation events, community service opportunities, CEO transparent and invites associate engagement (in 17 reviews)

• Great people, location, culture, and free parking (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life Balance began to erode (in 4 reviews)

• Turn over is excessive due to the hostile environment the new CIO with support from the COO built (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cons

In some area, career paths seem vague.

May 4, 2018 – Human Resources Assistant

Thank you for your feedback and for your more than 10 years of contributions at Grange! Career mobility is a priority to our leaders and we want associates to develop the knowledge, skills and... More

2. "Heading down the wrong path"

Current Employee - PL Underwriter
    Current Employee - PL Underwriter

I have been working at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great location, clean gym, cafeteria

Cons

Morale, culture, pay, no career opportunities unless you align yourself with the right cliques

Advice to Management

I wouldn’t even know where to start.

May 18, 2018 – Human Resources Assistant

Thank you for your feedback. We have shared your concerns with the appropriate people. If you have any immediate needs that we can help you with, please speak with your manager or HR Business Partner.

3. "Policy Support Representative"

I worked at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fair work project, with a great culture. Management is always understanding and helpful.

Cons

Some delays can exist due to other teams. Projects get reduce din scope.

Advice to Management

No advice needed, was very fair experience there.

May 1, 2018 – Human Resources Assistant

Thank you for sharing your experience! We’re happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with Grange, and we will share your feedback with the appropriate people.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The location, the gym, the people, the culture

Cons

If you live in the suburbs, the location

Advice to Management

Stay the course

5. "Three Words: Transformation. Modernization. Culture."

I have been working at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time

Pros

I love my city and I love the vibrant IT community here in central Ohio! That said, Grange Insurance is hands-down the most exciting place I’ve ever worked and I am proud to call this company Home. I’m proud to count my Grange colleagues as friends and family.

What makes Grange Insurance so exciting to work at? Three words: Transformation. Modernization. Culture.

~

I’m the kind of person that loves change. I love a challenge. I love growth and progression and finding new, innovative ways to solve problems and provide business value. If you were not aware, the insurance industry itself is at a tipping point, and as a result is garnering significant energy in technology circles, including Silicon Valley. Don’t believe me? Google “Insurtech” and tell me the results don’t ASTOUND you. Just 2 years ago you’d be hard pressed to even find a definition for the word and now “Insurtech” is practically a household name in Silicon Valley. New and exciting technologies are garnering the attraction of hundreds of new startups and millions upon millions of dollars in investment. It’s an easily discoverable fact that the Insurance industry is the place to be from a technology perspective, and wow do I feel lucky to be a part of it. It doesn’t get more exciting than this!

That said, the challenge for Grange is CHANGE, and it’s a cultural challenge. Of course, it’s also a technology challenge, and a process challenge, a discipline challenge; but at its heart, it’s really a “people” challenge. The hard truth is that some people embrace change and some people don’t, and I certainly don’t blame those that resist…Change is hard and when you’ve devoted decades of your life to a particular methodology and a way of going about your “day to day”, just to have new leadership come in and start driving a new direction, it can be scary and it can be hard to see the “why”. We’ve seen some talented people leave, which is disappointing, but we’ve also seen greatness!

In one short year Grange has received multiple industry awards for the work we’ve done with our Innovation practice and our Digital strategy. We have been featured in multiple articles and industry events. Why? Because very few companies are approaching change like we are. Very few companies are delivering the kinds of forward-leaning, customer-focused solutions that we are. Despite not having the kind of deep pockets as some of our competitors, we’ve relied on a crystal clear vision for the future, but also our secret weapon: our Associates.

That said, we are just getting started! We have a dynamic, seasoned CIO who is focused on driving cultural change through innovation and a focus on delivery and measurable results. We have a CTO that is charged with the immensely difficult job of adopting industry standard processes and tooling and establishing and driving the foundation of our enterprise Transformation & Modernization strategy. We have immense support from our Senior Leadership Team and Board of Directors, too! Sound like a great place to be? I sure think so!

Cons

We have A LOT of work to do, and not all of that work is "cutting edge"...quite a bit of it really amounts to table stakes and requires focus on process, tooling, re-platforming and just plain old-fashioned hard work. Regardless, the need for talented leaders - folks who understand how to empathize and influence and help others feel safe and intrinsically included, is what is required. Luckily, we have this at Grange, but admittedly we could use more!

Advice to Management

Stay the course and continue letting our core values and enterprise strategy guide you. Continue to set the tone and hold front-line managers and Directors accountable for following your lead, especially as it relates to shaping the culture.

Embrace innovation and change and never forget the words of the late, great David Bowie: "The minute you know you're on safe ground, you're dead".

Feb 12, 2018 – Human Resources Assistant

Thank you for your feedback and for your commitment to Grange’s success! We will share your insights with the appropriate people, and please feel free to speak with your manager or HR Business... More

"The entire culture has changed"

I worked at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time

Pros

I was very fortunate to have the time I did at Grange. I made lots of friends and learned about the business and different aspects of IT. Benefits were decent, but began to change throughout my time there. Vacation package was great!

Cons

The previous CIO was never a good leader or cared for bringing the best to Grange, in my opinion. When It was announced he was retiring I was excited for the change that could come to the company. Grange has always felt like a Mom-and-Pop type of business as there are many families and husbands and wives who work there and have for many years. Everyone knows everyone and it just works well to get things done. This changed. The new CIO began to make Grange into the company he came from, Chase, by bringing a lot of his colleagues and friends to Grange in newly created positions. While doing this may have been needed to help streamline IT and identify and create resolutions to issues the company was dealing with, it did the opposite. It seemed to me that these people were just there for a paycheck and to save as much money as possible. I believe that management should identify ways to save and be fiscally responsible, but not by eliminating positions of hardworking, loyal employees. The new management style seemed to be "we tell you one thing, and do another." This created a sense of fear and mistrust in me and that is why I left. The last year I was an employee at Grange I did not get a raise despite my hard work on projects and managing lots of workload. The reasoning was, no money in the budget. This despite the year being a very low claim year and being told in All-Hands meetings that profits were up. It's almost as though IT was struggling because of all the newly created VP positions and those salaries.

There is very little advancement opportunities. I always felt like the rabbit chasing the carrot. It was always "next year," and "it's not in the budget for that training," or whatever excuse. There was never a "grown from within" mindset for talent. You had your job and that was it. Of course, if you were buddy-buddy with the IT management, you were "chosen" for other positions. In my time there, I know of personally 4 positions that were filled this way. Each time it made me feel completely inadequate and unqualified. In fact, most of IT is unqualified. There are those who just muddle through their positions on a daily basis and those who are actually doing the work.

Advice to Management

Allow your people to learn and grow. Provide an atmosphere of learning. Do not provide an atmosphere of fear. You will never get the best from your people if they live in constant fear of being fired or laid off. You will lose those people to other organizations and the group of people you're left with is definitely sub-par.

Feb 15, 2018 – Human Resources Assistant

We appreciate your feedback and we are reviewing it now. We have invested in training, development and education for our IT associates, and will continue to do so especially during our transition to... More

"Watch your back"

I worked at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time

Pros

Location, garage parking, access to restaurants

Cons

Only speaking for the team I worked on. Conniving people who are nice to your face and then stab you in the back. Expectations are super low to begin with, so if you even send an email within the expected time you will be showered with praise. And then you will be stabbed in the back. The general opinion is people throw other people under the bus a lot during year end reviews, to save their own behinds. The work environment got super toxic towards the end.

Advice to Management

Let people's work speak, don't let politics get in the way of good work being done.

Mar 13, 2018 – Human Resources Assistant

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you felt this way during your tenure at Grange. We will review your feedback with the appropriate people.

8. "Good Employer"

Pros

Good benefits, nice extras (free parking, fitness center, nurse, dietician, wellness program), tuition reimbursement, employee growth program.

Cons

Don't always feel secure that job will be there. Don't always feel valued. Business Unit Leaders not realizing how their decisions effect other departments work loads. Older positions not reviewed on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

Know how your decisions effect your team and those that will be part of those decisions.

Jan 16, 2018 – Human Resources Assistant

We are reviewing your feedback now. Please help us address your specific concerns by speaking with your manager or HR Business Partner.

9. "Get on the bus. I did, and the ride is fine"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Pros

Great people, location, culture, and free parking! The facilities are top notch, and there are several amenities such as the on-site cafeteria, workout facility, and coffee shop that make things convenient.

Grange is going through a needed transformational change that understandably has caused angst and uneasiness as all change does. I experienced this myself with pessimism and skepticism as the change curve began to accelerate. I've now gotten my sea-legs, and see that change is needed for survival in a quickly evolving industry. For those who are still worried or skeptical, I get it, but try looking at things through a more glass half full lens, and you will get over the change hump as well.

Cons

As with any decent sized organization you have a fair amount of political waters to navigate, and a few bad apples, but name one that doesn't have these same challenges.

Advice to Management

Forge ahead, but change is harder for some and hopefully they see the long term end-state and get excited for their future at Grange.

Jan 16, 2018 – Human Resources Assistant

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate your commitment and positivity as our company continues to evolve to keep pace with a rapidly evolving insurance industry.

10. "Current employee/Claims"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Profitable company who knows what it is doing. Management is smart, transparent and responsive. Strategies make sense and associate opinions are valued. Great Claims team who really is best in class!

Cons

Resources are somewhat limited from the recent RIF. Management, however, is working to remedy with more work from home flexibility and filling critical positions.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate appreciation of associates.

Jan 12, 2018 – Human Resources Assistant

Thank you for your feedback and for your more than five years of contributions at Grange. We greatly appreciate you and all of our associates!