Grange Insurance (Columbus) Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
John Ammendola

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits, perks, and work-life balance (in 14 reviews)

• New-hires start with unbeatable benefits (gracious PTO, free parking) (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • No downsides at Grange, great place to work (in 3 reviews)

• High turnover in management, which can trickle down to other associates (in 3 reviews)

1. "Intern"

I worked at Grange Insurance (Columbus) part-time

Pros

Excellent internship program. Environment is very relaxed and welcoming. Associates are eager and interested in getting to know and utilize interns which allows for a more broad experience.

Cons

Nothing but great things to say about this company.

Oct 18, 2017 – Human Resources Assistant

Thank you for sharing your experience with Grange’s internship program! We appreciate your feedback and we’re happy that you found the program beneficial and enjoyed working with our associates.

"Short term only"

I have been working at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time

Pros

It's better than nothing and it's a great place to work a temp job while you look for something else.

Cons

People are disposable. They cut back on trash removal and the building has been infested several times as a result.

Advice to Management

If you care about your intigrity or credability, get consultants to help reestablishing it.

Nov 16, 2017 – Human Resources Assistant

We’re sorry to hear that you feel this way. We value our associates and we understand that they are a vital component to the success of both our business and our independent agency partners. We will... More

"Grossly Dysfunctional and Hostile Work Environment"

Former Employee - Developer in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Developer in Columbus, OH

I worked at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The cafeteria's nice. The benefits were good, but they're slowly cutting back on them each year.

Cons

Leadership means several things: making informed and educated decisions, taking responsibility for one's actions and giving credit to those who deserve it. Leadership also requires one be able to defend one's ideas persuasively when others have contrary opinions.

Grange's CIO and CTO have none of these qualities. Instead, they do things merely based on the fact that "other companies are doing it". They blame others for their bad decisions and take the credit when things go well. Unable to bear criticism or anything resembling the truth, they fire experienced and seasoned employees when uncomfortable facts are presented to them.

They fired numerous people earlier this year with the intent of taking IT in one direction. After the project inevitably ran into issues, they punished the remaining employees through mandatory weekends, micro-management and even humiliation. They later entirely reversed course on that decision ... with little fanfare, of course.

As a consultant, I've never seen more employees intentionally leave a company than I have at Grange's Commercial Lines IT. Never. Not in over 15 years. Perhaps this is a "feature", not a bug. As more and more people leave, they are being replaced by cheap overseas labor.

Advice to Management

Go down to the 4th floor some time and walk around. Ask the resource managers how many people have left in the last year and a half of their own accord, whether it be underwriters, testers or developers. Then ask yourself if you want this trend to continue.

Nov 16, 2017 – Human Resources Assistant

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We are reviewing your feedback with the appropriate people. We want to ensure that our IT department and associates can make a smooth transition while we work to... More

4. "More pros than cons"

I have been working at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work - life balance, free covered parking, community involvement is abundant, on site lunch facility and coffee shop, casual business dress

Cons

business casual vs simple casual dress

Sep 27, 2017 – Human Resources Assistant

We’re happy that you are enjoying your first year at Grange! We will review your suggestion to adopt simple casual dress instead of business casual with the appropriate people.

"Joke Of The Century - A Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - QA Analyst
    Current Employee - QA Analyst

I have been working at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A nice building and location

Cons

Grange has decided with the help of the COO that they needed to replace all of their IT leadership with people from either Chase or other banking institutions. The environment is toxic and if you don't come from Chase or the new regime than you might as well realize that your job is going to change and you will have no input to the changes. The new CTO they have hired is a militant, unfriendly curmudgeon who is an unpolished leader. When the CTO speaks at town halls, he gets very agitated when anyone questions about his propaganda, his face turns red in anger and he is visible rattled. The CIO is also very unfriendly and unapproachable, even though he states he has an "open door" policy. The CIO lies constantly to promote his agenda, like at the last town hall when he told everyone that we are partnering with the best of the best for the data center outsource, even though Grange is the FIRST client of the company they chose(which is being led by a Chase buddy). Also, the CIO has made the biggest deal about an Alexa app that barely does anything and he’s been riding that wave for over a year. Grange is so entrenched in Chase and Chase employees that they just outsourced their data center with a company that is new to this type hosting and Grange is their first customer. What's more, the company that Grange is going to move their data center to is being head up by somebody from JP Morgan Chase. At the end of the day, it’s a very sad situation that what once was a crown jewel in Columbus has been turned into a JP Morgan Chase culture, which of course NOBODY likes. What’s more appalling is that all of these new leaders from Chase (that get jobs without them being posted), hated the culture at Chase and have said so in company town halls, yet they have permeated the Chase culture at Grange. When a company has to spend an hour out of a town hall to address rumors, there is a large problem.

Advice to Management

Start over, you're failing

Oct 23, 2017 – Human Resources Assistant

I’m sorry to hear your frustration. We have made and will continue to make changes within our IT department in order to fortify ourselves for the future. Our company’s strength and stability is... More

"Was a great place to work... now not so much."

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Columbus, OH

I worked at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

When I started it was a family atmosphere with great leadership. The company was loyal to it's employees and the employees were loyal to the company.

Cons

New leadership has taken an amazing company and made it politically correct where it is more important to show the community that they support LGBT than their own employees. Most people who had pensions have been laid off (fired). People with 15 plus years of experience in the insurance industry, gone.

Advice to Management

Fire yourself. It's time to let others fix what you have broken.

Oct 13, 2017 – Human Resources Assistant

Thank you for your more than 10 years of contributions to Grange Insurance. We will review your feedback.

"False Reviews"

I worked at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time

Pros

Don’t really have any. It’s a whole new world of opportunity out there

Cons

I still can’t believe people are posting “pros” . The job market is great, don’t sell yourself short here

Oct 18, 2017 – Human Resources Assistant

I’m sorry to hear that Grange wasn’t a good fit for you. We wish you the best in your current and future endeavors.

"IT outsourcing continues"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Columbus, OH

Pros

Location is great
    Building is new and very nice
    Benefits are not great but OK

Cons

The technology area is full of ex financial managers.The IT teams are very frustrated and treated very poorly. Most of the people who remain are looking but don't have updated skills since the company uses very old technology. People are talked down to and mistreated. The HR team is under the same COO as the technology area so she will not take action since it will look bad on her area. The President, though a seemingly good person, lets the abuse continue.

Advice to Management

You know what to do, we've repeatedly told you on surveys, please help us.

Oct 2, 2017 – Human Resources Assistant

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are sorry that you feel frustrated. As our IT department continues to modernize to keep pace with changes in the insurance industry, we understand that there... More

9. "Optimistic yet cautious"

I have been working at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Willing to make tough decisions for the betterment of the majority.

Cons

Indecisive business decisions or slow decision makers.

Advice to Management

GTS seems to be at the forefront of all the changes that impacts employees. Please look closer at Operations for "waste".

Aug 15, 2017 – Human Resources Assistant

Thank you for your feedback. We value your opinion, and we will review this with the appropriate people. Thank you also for your more than 10 years of contributions at Grange Insurance!

10. "Claims"

I have been working at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time

Pros

the people are great to work with

Cons

Short-staffing has become an issue.

Aug 15, 2017 – Human Resources Assistant

Thank you for sharing this. We’re happy to hear that you enjoy the people you work with in Claims. We also appreciate your feedback about staffing. Please speak with your manager or HR Business... More