Grange Insurance (Columbus) Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Ammendola

Pros
  • The company has a great work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• New-hires start with unbeatable benefits (gracious PTO, free parking) (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Getting big and no longer personal (in 4 reviews)

• Micro management, lack of concern for employee (in 4 reviews)

1. "A Tale of Two Cultures"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location
    Fitness Center
    Great Benefits (and cost for those benefits)
    Decent opportunities based on merit

Cons

Tension from culture clash
    Some existing management were promoted based on longevity, not skill (some Peter-principal going on here)
    Sluggish and non-ambitious nature of certain pockets of employees (some of which are vocal on Glassdoor)

I am not a blind, kool-aid-drinking cheerleader for Grange. I am not a fake or a plant. At best, I'm cautiously optimistic about Grange's outlook. I can assure you, the folks that are complaining on this site about "old guard" being replaced by new banking folks, who are described as mercenary and rigid, are themselves the issue.

I have been with Grange for over a year. I did not come from one of those mercenary, cold, harsh banks; I came from another top Columbus employer. I am not a manager. I am an individual contributor.

My biggest beef is with these employees whining. They whine and cry. They stall and they obstruct. Why do they do what they do? Because "that's the way we do things." They expect old solutions to solve new problems. It's worked this way for 10, 20, 30 years, why change?

The funny thing is, there are "old guard" employees at Grange who are open to new idea. I work with them. They treat new employees with the same respect they expect, they have conversations about why some things have worked and others did not. These "old guard" employees are learning new tools, new methods, and extending their reach. THEY ARE GOING NOWHERE. They are an asset to the company and their institutional knowledge and contributions are recognized.

What I get frustrated with, is how long it takes to go through the proper HR channels and all the coaching and counseling that these whiners get before they get the boot. If it is soooo bad, then take your considerable skills elsewhere. Why don't they? ...benefits are great ...parking is free ...and because any job they would get elsewhere would require them to put more effort than they currently do and they would be required to learn new things.

Advice to Management

Stay focused. This is the kind of transformation that, if left incomplete, will be awful for everyone. If finished, the company (including employees - new and old) will be better positioned for future growth and stability.

"Csr"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Columbus, OH

I worked at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time

Pros

None really other then they have a cafeteria.

Cons

Management is bad. If your not the managers supervisors friend you did not go any where.

Advice to Management

Keep family fr ok m being the top performer in the same department. Favoritism is bad.

"Outsourcing and Layoffs continue"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are still good people working here, with a lot of great ideas
    New and modern work facilities
    Parking is free
    Fitness center is great
    There are a few people who really care and want to make a difference

Cons

- IT and claims outsourcing continues even though management has said "it's not happening". Management is planning how to temporarily keep people until they can be replaced. They need to keep the current systems running until the people and systems can be outsourced
    - New IT management comes from major financial companies in Columbus with a very harsh and strict management style - You are insulted in front of your peers, new ideas are not welcome, everyone is very unhappy
    - Turn-over is a major problem, many are voluntary but most from layoffs and outsourcing
    - Talk on the street is "not a place to send someone who wants to make a difference". Most new recruits last about 1 year before they decide enough is enough

Advice to Management

I'm typically not one to complain, I don't talk and just do my job, but it's gotten to a point where someone needs to speak up. Management needs to mean what they say about wanting employees to feel free to bring in new ideas. Sr. management doesn't support the goal of open communication, people are very scared
    The recent IT management comes from some of the worst work environments in Columbus, just ask and you'll find out. They bring that same philosophy which isn't what Grange has been in my last three years at the company.

5. "Been Good to Me"

Current Employee - Category Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Category Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Grange is a great company with fresh leadership working diligently to overcome deeply ingrained obstacles and positioning itself for long-term success in a rapidly changing marketplace. Introducing a culture of innovation and transformation into a steady-going environment is not easy, but it is necessary. I have been a change agent here since 2009 and it has been a worthwhile endeavor.

I came to Grange from the restaurant business as a career change in 2009. They gave me a chance during the worst job market since the Great Depression. I started as an intern, worked smart and was offered a mid-level analyst position. I continued to deliver results and was offered an individual contributor role at the manager level. I have ownership of my responsibilities and empowerment to get results. My experience here has been challenging and rewarding. I will always be grateful to Grange for investing in me, and as it should be, I have worked hard to provide a return on that investment.

If you are excited about innovation, transformation and success, Grange is the place for you!

Cons

Grange operated siloed and steadfast in its ways with little innovation or modernization for a long time. Best practices were seen as a risk and something to consider once they were tried and true by other firms (a.k.a., obsolete). Thanks to the vision of our CEO, John Ammendola, that is no longer the norm, however its legacy is not quickly overcome and lingers in the form of inefficiencies, lack of relevant acumen, and bad habits. The light of this legacy becomes dimmer each day, but nonetheless it is a con.

Advice to Management

Continue to execute our winning strategy. Work diligently to recognize and reinforce the right behaviors. Make sure recognition, career development, training, and retention of high performers remain a focus.

6. "Right direction but still need to do better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free parking.
    Free onsite fitness class.

Cons

No career advancement for most people.
    Efficient and smart people are not well acknowledged.

Advice to Management

There have been a lot of changes going on at Grange lately, which may have caused pain to certain people and departments. However, I believe these changes would eventually transform Grange to a more efficient, advanced and competitive company in the future. Digitalization and analytics need to be more focused.

On the other hand, there are still people who are incapable of doing their job effectively but still gain big favoritism and protection from upper management due to nepotism. True hard-working, efficient and smart people are lack of acknowledgement, which results in good people leaving the company. If this phenomenon is getting more prevalent, Grange won't reach its desired direction.

"Read this before you sign-up"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Parking
    Location in German Village is great
    People there are generally nice, but afraid to talk
    Wonderful cafeteria

Cons

If you're from Columbus you know the financial institution the new CIO came from and if you know it, (it's one of the largest employers in Columbus). You've heard from peers what it's like to work there. Grange is adopting that same culture.
    IT resources are afraid to speak, afraid to try new things, afraid of management.
    Don't believe the 'everything is great' reviews recently on this site. They're plants and very fake. The company is running at 20%+ turn over per year. That should tell you there are issues

Advice to Management

Listen and care about your employees again. Employees are what make the company, you know that's true. Stop beating them up and allowing management to do what they want with no rules. It's not what Grange is all about.

"Lies and Layoffs"

Current Employee - Underwriter in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Columbus, OH

Pros

New and updated training programs for non-managers
    Facility in German Village
    Free Parking
    Scheduled events for the employees

Cons

They continue to lay-off every few months. The communication is always "no more layoffs", then a few months later another one.

People are very afraid to speak up. In all the meetings, everyone sits there in fear when asked 'does anyone have any questions".

All the area's are getting hit hard and many are being outsourced. If you're desperate, take the job but stay hidden and just do your job. You'll find out if you go there, don't every speak.

Advice to Management

Many others on this site have said the same thing. You've destroyed your trust with your employees. Though you say one thing, you clearly do another. If you want to build your business, first, you must be honest to the people. Learn from your mistakes.

"Morale at all time low and dropping"

Former Employee - Lead Programmer Analyst in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Lead Programmer Analyst in Columbus, OH

I worked at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health benefits are OK
    Free parking
    Facilities are nice
    Fitness facility
    Location
    Did have a great work/life feel, maybe that will come back

Cons

New CIO has driven morale to the lowest point. The only people who aren't leaving are the people who are on a pension, which by the way no longer is provided. Even those pensioners are eager to retire, they're all planning to do it ASAP, all of them are talking about it.

New employees stay for about a year. They see the culture and soon leave. Turn over is around 20% per year.

RIF/Downsizing/Right Sizing, whatever name you call it, people are being let-go.

I've never been part of such a negative environment.

Advice to Management

I know upper management wants to fix things, but treating people poorly, treating them as replaceable objects, even new people, isn't going about it the right way. People really want to help, they want the company to be successful. When you hire arrogance in top management, like some of the recent C Levels, behind the scenes, you don't feel the pain of that arrogance, you see what they want you to see so in the end the culture you want to build won't happen.

"Changes for the sake of changes"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time

Pros

The salaries are fairly good for the type of work.

Cons

The new CTO seems to throw a lot of buzz words, trying to impress the board. Among his genius ideas was firing every single manual QA tester, with some of them giving 20-30 years of their life to the company. Yet, Grange continues to boast how they treat their employees like a family.
    Grange can't seem to figure out how to survive in the new world. Their best ideas so far have been firing a bunch of people, and scaring a bunch of other people into quitting.
    My advice to anyone still with Grange - update your resumes.

Advice to Management

Find a new CTO, who understands the needs of the company, rather than throwing a bunch of buzz-word ideas and hoping that something sticks.

"Claims"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Pros

Free parking and great location

Cons

Micromanagement, age discrimination, trying to get rid of pensioners, complete male management, very little women in leadership positions.

Advice to Management

Eliminate the sexism. Tenured employees have helped the company get to where it is. It may not be a trend to have long term associates, but many have stuck by your side. Have compassion, you're affecting families in the community.