Grange Insurance (Columbus) Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
John Ammendola

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits, perks, and work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Great people, location, culture, and free parking (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life Balance began to erode (in 4 reviews)

• The other reviews about the new CIO are spot on (in 5 reviews)

1. "Three Words: Transformation. Modernization. Culture."

I have been working at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time

Pros

I love my city and I love the vibrant IT community here in central Ohio! That said, Grange Insurance is hands-down the most exciting place I’ve ever worked and I am proud to call this company Home. I’m proud to count my Grange colleagues as friends and family.

What makes Grange Insurance so exciting to work at? Three words: Transformation. Modernization. Culture.

~

I’m the kind of person that loves change. I love a challenge. I love growth and progression and finding new, innovative ways to solve problems and provide business value. If you were not aware, the insurance industry itself is at a tipping point, and as a result is garnering significant energy in technology circles, including Silicon Valley. Don’t believe me? Google “Insurtech” and tell me the results don’t ASTOUND you. Just 2 years ago you’d be hard pressed to even find a definition for the word and now “Insurtech” is practically a household name in Silicon Valley. New and exciting technologies are garnering the attraction of hundreds of new startups and millions upon millions of dollars in investment. It’s an easily discoverable fact that the Insurance industry is the place to be from a technology perspective, and wow do I feel lucky to be a part of it. It doesn’t get more exciting than this!

That said, the challenge for Grange is CHANGE, and it’s a cultural challenge. Of course, it’s also a technology challenge, and a process challenge, a discipline challenge; but at its heart, it’s really a “people” challenge. The hard truth is that some people embrace change and some people don’t, and I certainly don’t blame those that resist…Change is hard and when you’ve devoted decades of your life to a particular methodology and a way of going about your “day to day”, just to have new leadership come in and start driving a new direction, it can be scary and it can be hard to see the “why”. We’ve seen some talented people leave, which is disappointing, but we’ve also seen greatness!

In one short year Grange has received multiple industry awards for the work we’ve done with our Innovation practice and our Digital strategy. We have been featured in multiple articles and industry events. Why? Because very few companies are approaching change like we are. Very few companies are delivering the kinds of forward-leaning, customer-focused solutions that we are. Despite not having the kind of deep pockets as some of our competitors, we’ve relied on a crystal clear vision for the future, but also our secret weapon: our Associates.

That said, we are just getting started! We have a dynamic, seasoned CIO who is focused on driving cultural change through innovation and a focus on delivery and measurable results. We have a CTO that is charged with the immensely difficult job of adopting industry standard processes and tooling and establishing and driving the foundation of our enterprise Transformation & Modernization strategy. We have immense support from our Senior Leadership Team and Board of Directors, too! Sound like a great place to be? I sure think so!

Cons

We have A LOT of work to do, and not all of that work is "cutting edge"...quite a bit of it really amounts to table stakes and requires focus on process, tooling, re-platforming and just plain old-fashioned hard work. Regardless, the need for talented leaders - folks who understand how to empathize and influence and help others feel safe and intrinsically included, is what is required. Luckily, we have this at Grange, but admittedly we could use more!

Advice to Management

Stay the course and continue letting our core values and enterprise strategy guide you. Continue to set the tone and hold front-line managers and Directors accountable for following your lead, especially as it relates to shaping the culture.

Embrace innovation and change and never forget the words of the late, great David Bowie: "The minute you know you're on safe ground, you're dead".

Feb 12, 2018 – Human Resources Assistant

Thank you for your feedback and for your commitment to Grange’s success! We will share your insights with the appropriate people, and please feel free to speak with your manager or HR Business... More

2. "The entire culture has changed"

I worked at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time

Pros

I was very fortunate to have the time I did at Grange. I made lots of friends and learned about the business and different aspects of IT. Benefits were decent, but began to change throughout my time there. Vacation package was great!

Cons

The previous CIO was never a good leader or cared for bringing the best to Grange, in my opinion. When It was announced he was retiring I was excited for the change that could come to the company. Grange has always felt like a Mom-and-Pop type of business as there are many families and husbands and wives who work there and have for many years. Everyone knows everyone and it just works well to get things done. This changed. The new CIO began to make Grange into the company he came from, Chase, by bringing a lot of his colleagues and friends to Grange in newly created positions. While doing this may have been needed to help streamline IT and identify and create resolutions to issues the company was dealing with, it did the opposite. It seemed to me that these people were just there for a paycheck and to save as much money as possible. I believe that management should identify ways to save and be fiscally responsible, but not by eliminating positions of hardworking, loyal employees. The new management style seemed to be "we tell you one thing, and do another." This created a sense of fear and mistrust in me and that is why I left. The last year I was an employee at Grange I did not get a raise despite my hard work on projects and managing lots of workload. The reasoning was, no money in the budget. This despite the year being a very low claim year and being told in All-Hands meetings that profits were up. It's almost as though IT was struggling because of all the newly created VP positions and those salaries.

There is very little advancement opportunities. I always felt like the rabbit chasing the carrot. It was always "next year," and "it's not in the budget for that training," or whatever excuse. There was never a "grown from within" mindset for talent. You had your job and that was it. Of course, if you were buddy-buddy with the IT management, you were "chosen" for other positions. In my time there, I know of personally 4 positions that were filled this way. Each time it made me feel completely inadequate and unqualified. In fact, most of IT is unqualified. There are those who just muddle through their positions on a daily basis and those who are actually doing the work.

Advice to Management

Allow your people to learn and grow. Provide an atmosphere of learning. Do not provide an atmosphere of fear. You will never get the best from your people if they live in constant fear of being fired or laid off. You will lose those people to other organizations and the group of people you're left with is definitely sub-par.

Feb 15, 2018 – Human Resources Assistant

We appreciate your feedback and we are reviewing it now. We have invested in training, development and education for our IT associates, and will continue to do so especially during our transition to... More

3. "Good Employer"

I have been working at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, nice extras (free parking, fitness center, nurse, dietician, wellness program), tuition reimbursement, employee growth program.

Cons

Don't always feel secure that job will be there. Don't always feel valued. Business Unit Leaders not realizing how their decisions effect other departments work loads. Older positions not reviewed on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

Know how your decisions effect your team and those that will be part of those decisions.

Jan 16, 2018 – Human Resources Assistant

We are reviewing your feedback now. Please help us address your specific concerns by speaking with your manager or HR Business Partner.

4. "Get on the bus. I did, and the ride is fine"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Pros

Great people, location, culture, and free parking! The facilities are top notch, and there are several amenities such as the on-site cafeteria, workout facility, and coffee shop that make things convenient.

Grange is going through a needed transformational change that understandably has caused angst and uneasiness as all change does. I experienced this myself with pessimism and skepticism as the change curve began to accelerate. I've now gotten my sea-legs, and see that change is needed for survival in a quickly evolving industry. For those who are still worried or skeptical, I get it, but try looking at things through a more glass half full lens, and you will get over the change hump as well.

Cons

As with any decent sized organization you have a fair amount of political waters to navigate, and a few bad apples, but name one that doesn't have these same challenges.

Advice to Management

Forge ahead, but change is harder for some and hopefully they see the long term end-state and get excited for their future at Grange.

Jan 16, 2018 – Human Resources Assistant

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate your commitment and positivity as our company continues to evolve to keep pace with a rapidly evolving insurance industry.

5. "Current employee/Claims"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Profitable company who knows what it is doing. Management is smart, transparent and responsive. Strategies make sense and associate opinions are valued. Great Claims team who really is best in class!

Cons

Resources are somewhat limited from the recent RIF. Management, however, is working to remedy with more work from home flexibility and filling critical positions.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate appreciation of associates.

Jan 12, 2018 – Human Resources Assistant

Thank you for your feedback and for your more than five years of contributions at Grange. We greatly appreciate you and all of our associates!

"Many are resistant to change"

I have been working at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time

Pros

Ton of great things about working for Grange, to include their commitment to philanthropy - and rewarding associates with up to 2 days PTO for volunteering in their own time. Grange promotes associate wellness, has onsite gym, allocates wellness dollars yearly to go towards a gym membership or a fitness device.

Excellent work/life balance.

Cons

Seems to be a struggle between the people who have worked there many years and the newer people in regards to implementing change. From a technology standpoint, Grange is so far behind others in the market because of this. It's frustrating to see it happen and to be helpless.

Health insurance benefits get worse/more expensive year after year. I've come to loathe UHC and the plan.

Expect to be paid under market, especially in IT.

Advice to Management

Don't let the people resistant to change hold you back, or else you'll be left in the dust.

Jan 16, 2018 – Human Resources Assistant

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are reviewing it now. We also encourage you to consider joining the GTS Survey Task Force Committee, where we talk about things such as change... More

"There is a reason Grange dropped off the Best Places to Work this year"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can wear jeans
    Fitness center is nice
    Since everyone is leaving there is new opportunity

Cons

There are many departments who have brought in new management which has totally destroyed this once great culture. For example, my friends in IT tell me the new CIO is formerly from Chase and he has built a very hostile, unfriendly work environment. I’ve been part of uncaring companies, but Grange beats them all. The IT team dread, and I mean dread their employee meetings where they must listen to this narcisist droning about how he cares. It seems any area our COO controls, turns into an area full of exstremely unhappy people even though she is responsible for HR. Her team is powerless to make the changes needed so the turnover continues.

Advice to Management

Do what’s right. Don’t allow senior managers to bully and insult their employees. We feel powerless to bring up how we are mistreated and you support people who are very hostile. I would say do what is right, but you have given up and continue to allow it. We all see your priorities are not with the employees.

Feb 2, 2018 – Human Resources Assistant

We are sorry to hear that you feel this way. We value our associates and their feedback, and we are continuously taking action to make Grange a great place to work. If you have any immediate needs... More

"Bittersweet at the end"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great Campus (coffee shop, gym, cafeteria, walking distance to great restaurants, jeans all the time)
    -Good benefits and pay
    -Work from home options

Cons

-Too much work for too few personnel
    -Work-Life Balance began to erode
    -No clear vision from management

Advice to Management

I really liked Grange at first and they were extremely accommodating with my work from home schedule. At this point, though, IT needs to figure out what their priorities are and hire the right personnel to do the job. Currently, they are trying to work fast and cheap. They aren't hiring new people in or they are hiring people that "could be trained." That would be fine except the projects march on as does the break/fix load of users. Additionally, there's no room for growth. You can only move up into Team Lead or Manager spots and there's only so many of those. And from what I saw, those people got chosen (they didn't apply) and they didn't get a raise. I'm not sure I'd want to be thrust into management. I'd want to be offered or apply for it. Hopefully, things are changing for the better. I wish them luck.

Jan 8, 2018 – Human Resources Assistant

Thank you for your feedback and for your time and contributions while working with us. We will use this information to make improvements where needed. Good luck in all your current and future... More

9. "An excellent place to start your career"

Former Employee - Designer in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Designer in Columbus, OH

I worked at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Innovative, excellent work environment and competitive Compensation & Benefits

Cons

Marketing / IT language barrier.

10. "CSR"

I worked at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time

Pros

Great company to work for. Management was knowledgeable and nice.

Cons

Low pay with no room to move up in my branch.

Dec 27, 2017 – Human Resources Assistant

First, thank you for your past contributions to Grange Insurance. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback, and we are providing it to the appropriate people. We wish you all the best!