Grange Insurance (Columbus) Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
John Ammendola

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great benefits, work/life balance, innovation events, community service opportunities, CEO transparent and invites associate engagement" (in 19 reviews)

• "Great people, location, culture, and free parking" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-Life Balance began to erode" (in 4 reviews)

• "Turn over is excessive due to the hostile environment the new CIO with support from the COO built" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Best Place to Work Ever!!"

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Laptop ready and loaded the day I arrived; Company events; Free downtown parking; Cafeteria; Coffee Shop; Volunteer benefits; good vacation policy; summer hours can give you every other Friday off!

Cons

Nothing. Even the commute to downtown is just 30 minutes.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! Appreciated CEO talking informally at our new hire session for 30 minutes! Very engaged staff. Great place to work!

Oct 12, 2018 – Human Resources Assistant

Thank you for your feedback! We’re happy to hear you've enjoyed your time with us so far and that you think Grange is a great place to work.

2. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Analyst in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Analyst in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The smaller size of Grange compared to other P&C insurance companies in the area gives you the ability to take on more responsibility and have learning opportunities you won't find elsewhere. You will get to know senior leadership (CFO, CEO) on a first name basis.

Cons

Access to technology is lacking, and it is not as flexible with telecommuting as you would think a data focused job would be. Change happens slowly, which can be good or bad.

Oct 5, 2018 – Human Resources Assistant

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We're so glad you've had a great experience at Grange. We'll make sure to share your feedback with the appropriate people.

3. "Claims"

Current Employee - Claims in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Claims in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Grange PTO is one of the best I have every had.

Cons

Garage is not heated.

Oct 9, 2018 – Human Resources Assistant

Thank you for your feedback! We will share it with the appropriate people.

4. "A great place to work!"

Current Employee - Personal Lines
    Current Employee - Personal Lines

Pros

Work/life balance is great. People are generally very friendly and easy to work with. Management and senior leadership are approachable and value input. Facilities are great - a coffee loft, new innovation center, cafeteria, gym with showers, etc.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Oct 3, 2018 – Human Resources Assistant

Thank you for taking the time to review Grange! We're so glad to hear how much you have enjoyed your experience so far.

"Commercial Lines"

Current Employee - Commercial Lines in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Commercial Lines in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Business Casual is a real plus

Cons

It's a mans world. If you are not a young male you need go elsewhere. Promotions are not based on hard work or knowledge only who you are friends with.

Advice to Management

Stop adding fake reviews by your management

Oct 10, 2018 – Human Resources Assistant

Thank you for reaching out. We appreciate your feedback and will share your comments with the appropriate people. We take concerns like this seriously, so if there is something that we can help you... More

6. "Great Place to work"

I have been working at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time

Pros

Been with Grange for 3yrs and have experience with working at much larger companies and I can truly say Grange is a work place that I enjoy in terms of what I do and also in terms of culture of support from leaders. There has been challenges in terms of change as Grange is trying to keep date with Technology. But without this technology changes we will not survive the environmental changes. Recently we had the start up weekend which was a huge success and Google had to say this, Grange event was one of the best well organized that they sponsored

Cons

Not that I can think of

Advice to Management

Leaders are doing the right thing by listening and adjusting to associates feedback. The difference is you are taking actions and not just words and please continue that

Sep 24, 2018 – Human Resources Assistant

Thank you so much for your feedback! We appreciate your perspective and are glad to hear of your positive experiences at Grange.

7. "A great place to work!"

Current Employee - Trainer in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Trainer in Columbus, OH

Pros

Grange is a company that not only invests in their employees but in the surrounding community. The outreach that is done in the community is amazing! Grange strives to build a diverse and accepting environment for everyone who works here. It makes me proud to say I work at Grange.

Cons

I have not found a downside to working at Grange.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Your efforts are appreciated:)

Sep 19, 2018 – Human Resources Assistant

Thank you for your feedback! We're so glad to hear you enjoy working at Grange.

8. "associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Big company with small company feel. Personable. Progressive. Fair, regular communications. Feeling productive. Thankful that the company is looking toward the future. Senior leadership is very engaging and progressive.

Cons

Lots of projects to move the company forward which can be overwhelming.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on.

Sep 19, 2018 – Human Resources Assistant

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your thoughts and we are glad to hear about your positive experience at Grange!

9. "You'd be surprised."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Pros

Despite everything Grange does across the Columbus community—volunteering, giving, community investment, nonprofit board membership—you'd be surprised at how incredibly diverse, unified, empathetic and enthusiastic the culture really is.

The transparency, support and appreciation for new ideas that leadership offers associates seems to be encouraging the breakdown of legacy silos across the organization. In three short years, I've seen the organization innovate and evolve in ways that continue to surprise me. Change is hard—so for associate satisfaction surveys to show improvement during these changes, it's clear that the changes are garnering top-down support.

If you're looking for a slow-paced, status-quo desk job, this may not be the place for you. If you're career-focused and open to challenging 'the way things have always been done', you might want to take another look at Grange.

Cons

The focus on creating value for independent insurance agents, policyholders, associates and the community seems to actually limit the degree to which Grange publicly promotes itself. I believe you have to be careful to not brag about your accomplishments; however, attracting more great partners, talent and customers is difficult when your story stays hidden from view.

Advice to Management

Celebrate who we've become with the broader market. I am now a customer of Grange because I've seen first-hand how we continue to deliver on the promise of "peace of mind & protection during life's unexpected events".

Sep 11, 2018 – Human Resources Assistant

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about Grange! We appreciate your positive outlook and thoughtful insights on change and how sharing our story more broadly could create value for the company. We... More

10. "Mixed Experience"

I have been working at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time

Pros

Nice perks in home office including a gym, coffee shop, and cafeteria. There are some really nice employees, and the company puts a high preference on referrals to bring in new talent if you have a friend or family member who is a good fit for a job there.

Cons

There is a lot that is preached but not practiced, or at least doesn't trickle down to middle and direct management of associates. For example, there is a large emphasis on your development plan and wanting you to grow within the company. There has been little cooperation in that effort from direct hiring managers in at least a couple of departments, who ignore or seem unwilling to help associates who contact them for assistance with their development plan to help prepare them for a new role. Being open and candid are also preached, but in reality those who are open and candid in team meetings are made to feel their concerns are not important by some managers which leaves associates not feeling their experience, expertise, and opinions aren't valued.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to have buy-in from direct managers of associates to carry out what seems to be very important to the company, and there needs to be maybe better communication and training on those aspects so associates feel they are an important part of the company. Otherwise associates feel like those values that are so often preached by the top are disingenuous.

Sep 20, 2018 – Human Resources Assistant

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your comments and have shared your concerns and advice with the appropriate people. This fall, we’re going to pilot a series of career development courses... More