KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Grange Insurance

Engaged Employer

Grange Insurance

Add a Review

Grange Insurance Employee Reviews about "great company"

Updated Aug 17, 2021

Found 37 of over 275 reviews

4.3
Grange Insurance President & CEO John Ammendola (no image)
John Ammendola

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Awful management.(in 12 reviews)
  • "No training will prepare you for how to get work done around here.(in 8 reviews)
  • "Miscalculated the overall impact of major layoffs and restructuring(in 6 reviews)
  • "Low salaries.(in 5 reviews)
  • "This results in a potentially good manager becoming more of a micro manager due to them feeling like they have to constantly keep tabs on their employees because they miss out on being with them in home office.(in 4 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Grange Insurance and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "great company"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Intern

Jul 17, 2015 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, very welcoming, excellent intern development program! Many opportunities to learn about your department as well as company as a whole

Cons

not necessarily a con, but work load definitely varies greatly across different days/weeks

1 person found this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Been Good to Me

Mar 3, 2017 - Category Manager in Columbus, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Grange is a great company with fresh leadership working diligently to overcome deeply ingrained obstacles and positioning itself for long-term success in a rapidly changing marketplace. Introducing a culture of innovation and transformation into a steady-going environment is not easy, but it is necessary. I have been a change agent here since 2009 and it has been a worthwhile endeavor. I came to Grange from the restaurant business as a career change in 2009. They gave me a chance during the worst job market since the Great Depression. I started as an intern, worked smart and was offered a mid-level analyst position. I continued to deliver results and was offered an individual contributor role at the manager level. I have ownership of my responsibilities and empowerment to get results. My experience here has been challenging and rewarding. I will always be grateful to Grange for investing in me, and as it should be, I have worked hard to provide a return on that investment. If you are excited about innovation, transformation and success, Grange is the place for you!

Cons

Grange operated siloed and steadfast in its ways with little innovation or modernization for a long time. Best practices were seen as a risk and something to consider once they were tried and true by other firms (a.k.a., obsolete). Thanks to the vision of our CEO, John Ammendola, that is no longer the norm, however its legacy is not quickly overcome and lingers in the form of inefficiencies, lack of relevant acumen, and bad habits. The light of this legacy becomes dimmer each day, but nonetheless it is a con.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great work atmosphere

Apr 2, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Management is truly caring and make the work/life balance manageable. Especially throughout the pandemic, they have kept everyone informed and gave time to employees who have been impacted. I feel as though the company was already heading in a modern/technologically advanced direction and so when the pandemic hit, there was a seamless transition to working from home. Also the company is constantly upgrading and improving and staying on top of the current industry trends to stay relevant. Overall it is the best company that I have worked for in this industry.

Cons

There are not many downsides to working here but the only thing would be having too much change all at once. There are multiple pilots and transitions happening all at once and it can tend to be a lot to keep up with but it is also new and exciting at the same time.

Human Resources Assistant

Thank you for sharing about your experiences at Grange so far! We appreciate this feedback and we'll make sure to share this with the appropriate people.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great Company. Amazing Culture

Jun 26, 2020 - Claims Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Grange is a company that cares about their employees and take every necessary step to keep them safe.

Cons

Nothing to report for Grange Insurance

Human Resources Assistant

We're so glad to hear you're enjoying your time at Grange! We'll share your feedback with the appropriate people.

5. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Changing for the better, but change comes slowly in CL.

Jun 11, 2017 - Commercial Lines Underwriter in Columbus, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Strong Leadership, benefits, opportunities for development and focus on work on work-life balance. Many great improvements in the development of things like an Appetite Guide and Letter of Authority to provide clarity in areas that truly needed it in the CL department Have really looked to bring in younger people to help grow the talent and the company. Promote a lot from within the company, including across departments.

Cons

Level above CL UW Mgrs are not as in tune with our agency plant as they could be and tend to cater to agencies too much, which undermines the front line person. CL Underwriters and their mangers are truly agency facing and have to deal with the day to day questions, phone calls and account decisions. Letters of authority were not updated when or as often as we were told they would be. They also did not reflect an individuals ability as they apply on a per position basis. That may have since changed. Training dept for CL has few people in it, with much of the training falling on the UW managers and more experienced underwriters. That could be strengthened to have more help from other positions above the UW manager to help in the development and retention of younger employees.

Human Resources Assistant

Thank you for your feedback and recommendations. We will provide this information to the appropriate people at Grange, so they can look into it further and make improvements where needed. We also want to thank you for your more than five years of contributions to Grange Insurance and for your continued interest in our associates and our success in CL. We wish you the best of luck in all your current and future endeavors.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great Place to Work

Feb 4, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Grange Insurance is a company on the rise with great leadership. They really care about the employees and advancement is available if you want to work for it.

Cons

The benefits are not the best.

Human Resources Assistant

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and for your many years of service! We'll make sure to share this with the appropriate people at Grange.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Place to Work

May 25, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great Salaries, exceptional PTO (recently introduced Summer Fridays), benefits, retirement plans etc. I have had the opportunity to work at Grange since 2014. Since then I have had the opportunity to cross market myself amongst other departments. I feel strongly about companies being willing to promote or even allow an employee to make a lateral move cross departmentally. Grange is great at making sure that you are being utilized for your greatest strengths. I have known multiple people who showed an interest in something and within a few months were given an opportunity to move into their desired role. There are lots of Resource Groups that are available to all employees. These groups provide networking and professional opportunities that you would not get otherwise at another National carrier. In my department, we have employee recognition programs where employees are recognized for the accomplishments they've done in the last month. It creates for good and positive morale in the workplace. We also have team volunteer days, team outings and FUN happy hours. The people at Grange are genuinely great people to work with that care about the growth of the company.

Cons

Grange is still very old school in that we are still expected to dress very business like, which makes sense when we are agent facing, but most companies allow for their employees to where jeans and to have a more business causal attire. Some managers are remote employees in that they are located in another state. This results in a potentially good manager becoming more of a micro manager due to them feeling like they have to constantly keep tabs on their employees because they miss out on being with them in home office. In my opinion, it goes against the Grange culture that says that Grange is interested in a Work/Life balance. My particular manager gets alerts via our Skype system when I am "away" from my desk, which may only mean that I have been on the phone with an agent, in a non-scheduled meeting, at lunch etc.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

A Wonderful Place!

Mar 16, 2021 - Claims AMD Business Manager in Akron, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

The culture at Grange is amazing and what sets us apart! Senior leadership truly cares - engagement survey responses are acted upon, not just lip service. All levels of leadership are accessible & available. #BeOneTeam is not just a slogan, it is lived out throughout the company. Sincere appreciation is expressed and successes are acknowledged publicly with high frequency. Leadership is transparent and explains the 'why' behind the company strategy. The direction we're headed is cooperative & collaborative, not a mandate from leadership. It feels like a team effort rather than a directive. There is trust of associates to meet/exceed expectations while still allowing flexibility with work/life balance. Bottom line: Grange understands that their associates make the difference and they empower hard working, talented people to do their best work and to be rewarded/recognized accordingly.

Cons

There aren't any...I've been here nearly 18 years and I can't see myself leaving.

Human Resources Assistant

We're very glad to hear you've enjoyed your time at Grange so far. Thank you for sharing about your experiences with others! We will share this feedback with the appropriate people at Grange.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great Place and Getting Better!

Jun 16, 2017 - Learning Consultant in Columbus, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

The upper leadership team is doing a great job with open communication and connects each of us with our overall company strategy. It's easy to see where we are now and where we are heading. There are continuous improvement strategies in place and the company encourages associates to share viewpoints and new ideas to be more effective. Also, there's a huge focus on the partnership of management with associates in growth and development opportunities. Associate Empowerment, Recognition and Flexibility are all here!

Cons

Some departments in the company don't have the same opportunities in terms of flex time or work life balance. I understand the importance of customer service so perhaps looking at other incentives for these departments. I think this would help those associates be even more engaged.

Human Resources Assistant

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about Grange. It’s clear that you have a strong commitment to making Grange an excellent place to work and to do business with, and we greatly appreciate your feedback.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Friendly people and a great place to work

Dec 6, 2019 - Marketing Specialist in Columbus, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly people all the way to the top of the company. It’s common to see senior leaders around the building and they’ll actually say hi to you. I didn’t expect that coming from a small business where that’s the norm. Despite its size, I genuinely feel cared for here and appreciated. There are a lot of perks to working at Grange. I’ll list some of my favorites below: -good pay and decent benefits -free onsite covered parking -onsite café that serves breakfast and lunch, coffee shop, gym, nurse, dietitian and innovation center where you can work away from your desk -onsite green space with a walking path and German Village is just a block away -casual dress: jeans every day -parental leave (maternity, paternity or adoption) -wedding leave -annual wellness dollars -resource groups for professional women, young professionals and LGBT -fun corporate-sponsored events and sports -tons of opportunities to volunteer, donate and support the community -willingness to support your professional development

Cons

This is honestly the best job I’ve ever had. But one challenge is that Grange needs to keep up with the change that’s happening within the insurance industry and our customers' changing expectations for what they want and need from their insurance provider. Sometimes it feels like we’re moving too slow and then too fast as we head in that direction. It can be challenging at times, but it's also exciting to be on the forefront of this change and to be able to help shape what Grange Insurance will be tomorrow.

3 people found this review helpful

Human Resources Assistant

We're so glad to hear you've enjoyed your time at Grange! Thank you for providing us this feedback. We'll make sure to share it with the appropriate people.

Viewing 1 - 37 of 37 English Reviews