Granite Construction Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Granite Construction President and CEO James H. Roberts
James H. Roberts

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people, great culture, awesome environment (in 16 reviews)

• good benefits; good pay raises; not micromanaged (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance is not there for all positions (in 16 reviews)

• Unreasonable expections, absolutely no work life balance (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

I worked at Granite Construction full-time

Pros

Great people, great culture, awesome environment. It was an amazing learning opportunity and jump started my career. I loved every moment.

Cons

Can’t think of any - I was lucky.

2. "Great Company all around"

I worked at Granite Construction full-time

Pros

Great people, good pay, good work pace

Cons

Were not always straight forward.

"The bad apples in the company can ruin the entire office moral."

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Watsonville, CA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Watsonville, CA

I have been working at Granite Construction full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay and smart individuals work for the company. Some perks and material items are average benefits. There are some good people there.

Cons

Extremely unethical company, long hours. Not a healthy work life balance. Certain policies that they emphasize are not followed. Favoritism overrides ethics.

Advice to Management

Look into the definition of group think.

"Meh"

I worked at Granite Construction full-time

Pros

They are pretty easy to work with and very laid back

Cons

Try getting anything done, It's like pulling teeth.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

5. "Employee"

I have been working at Granite Construction full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

No cons at the moment.

6. "Intern"

Former Employee - Bridge Engineer (Assistant) in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Bridge Engineer (Assistant) in Harrisburg, PA

Pros

Fast paced work environment. As an intern you can learn as much as you are willing to take on. Good pay for an intern. Could work as many hours as I wanted over 40 as long as I was doing meaningful work.

Cons

As an intern, none. From what I saw with engineers, you could be uprooted with little notice. Bonuses depend on the overall company, not your individual project. No work life balance. This is a lifestyle. If you're looking for 40hr/week, this is not the company for you.

Advice to Management

None. Management was very good on the project that I was on.

"Trouble coming"

Current Employee - Manager in Watsonville, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Watsonville, CA

I have been working at Granite Construction full-time

Pros

Pay is fair, benefits are poor, work is long, long days

Cons

Get better benefits and find a way to incentive all levels versus big pay at the top of the organization

Advice to Management

Whey SB1 is overturned, what then. It appears large projects will never get better

"Poor Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Field Engineer
    Current Employee - Field Engineer

I have been working at Granite Construction full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a full time employee, you are allowed a lot of license to schedule our day as you see fit. If you don't drop the ball you are invisible to supervision/higher.

Cons

-Company cultural expectation that you are at work ALL. THE. TIME. It is generally seen as "not pitching in" if you leave after 8-9 hours of work/day, or if you don't work on weekends...even if you don't have work to do.
    -Pay is far below average. Competitors will pay on the order of 15-20% higher for entry level full time employees.
    -Healthcare is terrible. When I compared it out, even though i pay no premium under my current plan I pay darn near to that amount and more to meet my deductible, which is $6000. A small comparison with friends at other companies let me know this was pretty bad.
    -"Family Culture" is not a good description of the culture at Granite. There is in fact a lot of "use and lose" with employees: turnover rates for full time employees is very high, and Human Resources and management does not see that as a problem.
    -Investment in employees is non-existent. If you are a new Field Engineer out of college or just 2-4 years out of college and you want to pursue a Master's in Civil Engineering or take a Professional Engineering exam, the time is on you and the cost is on you. Granite will more than gladly use your personal professional enrichment but will not do anything to help you there. For full time employees who are going in other directions (operations, supply chain, IT, management, etc), the same holds true. There is no good mentorship or progressive training model to get employees well-rounded or prepared for a next level, and the next level is not defined.
    -Employment contracts state that bonuses or salary increases may be awarded contingent on employee performance and company performance, but in fact neither is true. There is no salary increase and bonuses are awarded only if your region produces a profit. So while you may be on a project that is producing a large profit mark for Granite, and you and your team have worked hard to get that result, you will not see any fruits from that if your region doesn't produce a bonus. It's a very big disincentive, as it makes the work you are on seem like it doesn't matter.
    -Expectation Management/employee direction is non-existent. You will not know if you are being relocated to another project, staying put to prepare groundwork for the next project in your area, or about to be fired until the very moment they announce it. This is independent of whether you are a great worker or not.
     Terrible culture as a result; this makes for a very uneasy home life, which of course means distracted employees.
    -Human Resources cannot answer questions about its own policies.

Advice to Management

You suck. You have no incentives for employees to want to contribute to your company and you don't care. Choose a different healthcare provider. Pay your employees more. Incentivize success at the individual and project level. Don't wait for the annual performance review to let employees know how they are doing, make it an ongoing conversation and provide a better idea as to what they and you want their future to be.

"Family Oriented"

I worked at Granite Construction full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people. Some of the most amazing people I have ever had the opportunity to work with that I hope to maintain long term friendships with.

Cons

Relocation often. Pay is less than average within industry. Bonuses are almost non-existent.

Advice to Management

Recognize employees.

"Intern"

Pros

Management was apologetic for rough experience

Cons

Granite lacked structure of any sort in the intern development process. I came in before any type of program existed, and I haven't been back to Granite since to be able to see if it has improved.

Advice to Management

Create a full cohesive plan for interns when they are hired. They should be treated as employees and measured for their full strength and capabilities. Interns can end up being excellent managers in the future if they are given the right tools and opportunity to grow. Menial tasks continuously assigned to interns do not for any valuable learning.