Graniterock Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Tom Squeri
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best company I’ve worked for."

Current Employee - Laborer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Laborer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Graniterock full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your treated as an individual not only a number. Very generous company. I’m confident that I will move up with my hard work. I’ll be here at graniterock until I retire. Most foreman recognize your effort. Most people I’ve worked with work as a team and that’s what separates graniterock from other companies.

Cons

Very difficult to adapt in the work environment not knowing much in the beginning. The old guys are so scared of the new guys coming in they don’t teach them nothing. I assume they are scared to lose their jobs. They don’t have to babysit but need more patience. Eventually they’ll retire

Advice to Management

Management is doing a good job. Thank you for rocktalk. I take pride in my work, love seeing how are company is doing. I’d love to invest in this company it’s private.

2. "Amazing company to work for!! A+!"

Current Employee - California in Watsonville, CA
    Current Employee - California in Watsonville, CA

I have been working at Graniterock full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

All the team members i encounter and directly work with have made my experience here a great one. I haven't woken up and felt like it is a drag to go to work. I enjoy what I do, and helping with big or small problems. We all have different jobs and tasks to do. So it does take a good running team to accomplish that.

Cons

I guess depending on the job you have. Cons could be night work. Those hours are tough. But work has to be done on time sensitive projects. And road repairs often occur at night. Which working in this industry you know that comes with the territory at times. The company strives really hard to make this a family environment, and encourages growth and continual learning. So i havent really seen many or any cons.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage, lead, help build up Team members. Keep the accountability there for all team members and managers. Continue to show appreciation to your teams.

3. "Hubble Analytics?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at Graniterock full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What Financial “Visionary” purchased this product? Somebody was duped again and wasted company money AGAIN. It’s as if somebody stopped learning 30 years ago and was still allowed to buy software?

Cons

Locks you into the 1960’s and JDE. This IS your grandmothers IT solution. Do this for a few years and you will never work anywhere but construction.

Advice to Management

Claw back wages from whoever has been making financial blunders in the purchase of IT systems solutions.

Apr 13, 2018 – Director of Communications

We’ve registered your frustration to the right department.
    With technology such a critical part of every business unit at Graniterock, we realize there’s always room for improvement and new projects... More

"Nepotism Central"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watsonville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watsonville, CA

I have been working at Graniterock full-time (More than a year)

Pros

get all your relatives onboard. Keep it like its always been.

Cons

Inbreeding, collapses the gene pool.
    Never seen a place with so many husbands, wife's, sisters, brothers, fathers, sons
    Make a conscious decision block new ideas and technology

Advice to Management

Recent interns applied for fulltime jobs and were denied in favor of current employees.

Great message to send to the local colleges.

Mar 19, 2018 – Director of Communications

It is true that many of our team members enjoying working here so much, they often encourage their family and friends to take a look. We think it’s flattering. However, all of our hiring processes... More

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Salaried Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Salaried Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Graniterock full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

GR has a strong culture, benefits are better here than any other contractor (I've worked for a couple) and they pay well. It's been my experience that management tries to put their people ahead of profits (they also just bumped up our 401k match). Never a dull moment as we are given as much responsibility as we can handle.

Cons

GR is a regional contractor so there aren't as many opportunities for management level promotions as the bigger publicly held companies. Although the company has invested a lot of money over the past 4 years internally, we still have a lot of older systems, which can be frustrating. 118 year company and change can be very slow at times (or, you run into resistance).

Advice to Management

Overall, Graniterock is a great place to work and I hope to retire here (that's a long way off). Continue "make it better" and be open to change.

Mar 19, 2018 – Director of Communications

We know there's always room for improvement. With team members like you, we can take Graniterock to the next level with our systems and processes. We appreciate your support and commitment.

6. "One Company"

I have been working at Graniterock full-time

Pros

The People, work / life balance

Cons

standardization needs massive improvements and CISS support is lacking

Feb 15, 2018 – Director of Communications

Thanks for your honest feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.

"Company that cares about you."

Pros

No company is perfect but most of management tries to take care of their people and it shows in good morale, recognition, and the benefits. Healthcare is completely free, they have profit sharing, bonuses, and even parties that you family can attend. The company gives out a lot of swag too. I feel recognized when I do good things and like part of a team when I mess up and people around me step up to help fix the issue.

Cons

Although getting better, the company's construction department is still operating very seperatly from the rest of the company. Very few directives are top down from the top management which is good sometimes but things like safety, environmental, training etc aren't consistent across the company.

Advice to Management

Standardize more processes across the company, stop letting managers do it 100 different ways.

Mar 19, 2018 – Director of Communications

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We strive to create a strong culture where good people can do good work. As with anything, we know there's always room to improve!

8. "Lots of old dead weight."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watsonville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watsonville, CA

I worked at Graniterock full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you work there you perpetuate the inbreeding by getting all you relatives hired. If you like to continue learning and growing your career, you are better off working at McDonalds

Cons

Just because you have been there a long time doesn’t mean you have done anything other than occupy a chair, stagnate, and prevent the company from progressing by having someone who is actually qualified replacing you.

People are hired in by statements like, “she is about to retire, and then you will get to move up”. The problem is, “She” never retires.

Advice to Management

Owe, that means old dead weight prevents growth

"quality control"

Current Employee - Quality Control Technician in Aromas, CA
    Current Employee - Quality Control Technician in Aromas, CA

I have been working at Graniterock full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company with payied benefits and vacations.

Cons

Hard to get along with other workers have lot of raisism here

Advice to Management

Hire people that dont descriminate others.

10. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly

Pros

Everyone is incredibly willing to teach you. As an intern in the construction field, you get to be very involved in the work, as long as you just ask!

Cons

Construction might not be the industry for you if you don't like to start work early in the morning

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!