Graniterock Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Estimator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watsonville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watsonville, CA

I worked at Graniterock full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people, lower stress than most construction companies.

Cons

Less reward for high performers than at other companies.

"no comment"

Current Employee - Roller Operator in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Roller Operator in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Graniterock part-time

Pros

Graniterock has built a great company, providing employees opportunity to live life at its fullest by being able to provide their family a good life.. The company is very generous in many ways helping out communities by donations. I personally experienced the company's scholarship program for students that met there requirements. Our daughter received a $2000.00 dollar scholarship from Graniterock and we were so grateful for there generosity. Just to update Graniterock our daughter has continued a 4.0 GPA at the U of O Ducks. Thank you so much it really helped us. Sincerely mrich

Cons

ive been a loyal employee at Graniterock for 3 years just like i was at FMG. . I quit FMG prior to Graniterock purchasing FMG. I quit FMG based on the company's lack of loyalty to my professional work ethics always there never late or missed work.& worked my way to #1 roller operator. Management hired paving foreman's & superintendents that brought in there own roller operator and left me at home. In 37 years ive never experienced such damaging immoral conduct personally inflicted on my lively hood. Graniterock has never treated me with the same equality i deserve as other co-workers.. The immoral conduct by Graniterock supervisors continue to carry on by treating me in a matter that's reckless and discriminating . Today i have no idea if im employed. I have not been included in any paving projects or paving seminars. Yet i find myself left at home do to the same issues i quit FMG over. The buddy system has effected my job several times at Graniterock which is so un professional to treat loyal employees that's been with the company longer then theses boss's buddy's . I have lost alot of money by this wrongful conduct when ive earned the right to be treated with the same equality as other coworkers that work before the buddy system because of seniority. Sincerely mrich

Advice to Management

I am distraught over this matter. I want it looked into and requesting action taking place to those who have treated me unfair by immoral business practices. i understand your buddy but your buddy needs to respect my job and my loyalty to my company so if i turn down work then he can work before me. Other wise ive been discriminated and hope we can resolve this matter that's financially and emotionally caused me severe hardship and mental issues physically damaging ones health. Sincerely mrich

"Very old, very white, mom and pop company"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Watsonville, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Watsonville, CA

I worked at Graniterock full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, decent compensation, low stress employer, local with main office fairly central. Health insurance. Discount on building materials and aggregate.

Cons

There is no opportunity for advancement. The company is very much antiquated in HR process, development, or utilizing innovative ideas. Even though a lot of positions are not union based, the company very much runs like a union based company as time served is weighted heavier than actual talent.

Advice to Management

HR needs to get into each division within the company and do quite a bit of research. There are lot of things said and done in the workplace that warrant law suits. There are also lots of state mandated laws not being abided by. Get in and fix your company. Get out of your mom and pop mindset, and have the back of your employees that attempt to bring innovative ideas to the table.

"account manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Pros

great benefits, good working enviroment, lots of advancement, pretty casual and family oriented.
    lots of opportunity for advancement. provides a lot of off site training

Cons

managements needs to back up employee's and be professional. lack of training. likes to switch job titles and duties as well as where you will be working at.

Advice to Management

better planning and organization. there seems to be a lot of uncoordinated moving around on a daily basis to cover jobs

5. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Research Technical Services Representative in Watsonville, CA

Pros

Excellent benefits and great work-life culture

Cons

i can't say anything bad about Graniterock

6. "Solid and Typically Supportive Construction and Material Supply Company"

Former Employee - Project Management in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Project Management in San Jose, CA

I worked at Graniterock full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Relatively low pressure for a construction company. Some of the better jobs in the Monterey Bay region. Dependable and reliable - they've been here over 100 years and will be here for some time. Relatively good health care benefits.

Cons

Poor compensation when compared to SF Bay companies, and many if the jobs tend to migrate that direction. Slow to adapt to change. Little direct link between performance and pay. Entrenched and powerful people are often incompetent.

Advice to Management

When people make you money, share the rewards. Your customer service and product quality are no longer superior to local competitors (like Las Animas.) Make changes or drop prices or your market share will continue downward.

7. "Rewarding"

Current Employee - Ready Mix Driver in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Ready Mix Driver in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Graniterock full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay good benefits. Always opportunity to grow.

Cons

Busy season 12-14 hour days

Advice to Management

Bring back company parties.

"Granite Rock the Best Company I've Worked For"

Former Employee - Research and Technical Services Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Research and Technical Services Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

Granite rock's ability to choose good employees makes it a great place to work. Your fellow employees are of the same mind set and are ready to help out in any way. The opportunities offered by Granite Rock are very impressive. There are schools and management training offered and you can even learning a new language. Hours are conducive to a family life.

Cons

The union was the only downside to my time at Granite Rock. I was not union therefore when they would strike I would have to cross that picket line and do become a scab. During my two years at Granite Rock I did not get a single raise due to the fact the union would hold out and strike and get their raises. Some would say that I should have been union. No I liked my salary job without paying dues. I know how crooked the Union reps are and chose not to deal with those guys.

Advice to Management

Close down each plant one at a time to force the union out. They are only a hinderance to the company and it's ability to operate in today's economy. I am not sure if companies around Granite Rock are still non-union or not but the time for a Union in this country is over.

"Granite Rock getting rich off the hard work of his drivers"

Current Employee - Driver in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Driver in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Location, hours, dispatcher and some of my co workers

Cons

The owner is taking away monies from us by not paying and keeping up the same type companies he competes with.

Advice to Management

Be fair and understanding, stop saying how you have my best interest at heart when it is just more monies for you

10. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly

Pros

Everyone is incredibly willing to teach you. As an intern in the construction field, you get to be very involved in the work, as long as you just ask!

Cons

Construction might not be the industry for you if you don't like to start work early in the morning

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!