Grant Thornton Reviews in Charlotte, NC | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Audit Associate"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

-Great people to work with, everyone is inclusive and friendly. -The work/life balance is good. Hours are busy, but manageable. Our Flex Time Off policy gives us unlimited time off as long as we are maintaining certain percentage of chargeable hours, which is not hard to do. -Great culture. GT has really stressed culture in recent years. We strive for Collaboration, Leadership, Excellence, Agility, Responsibility, and...

Cons

-It is public accounting, so obviously hours are long (55-70 hours during busy season, 35-50 during off-peak times) -Travel. I am fortunate and only travel about 25% or less, but I know people who are on the road a lot.

Grant Thornton Response

September 7, 2018People & Culture

Thank you for taking the time to post your review! So happy to hear you are able to use our flexibility policies to enjoy work life balance. Our people are awesome too, and it sounds like we are lucky to have you on our team. We will use this feedback to make Grant Thornton an even ...

2. "Good place to start a career"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Brand well respected in the industry

Cons

Limited or selective opportunities for growth

3. "Great place to start out!"

Current Employee - Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time for more than a year

Pros

They really value professional development and there is always help available when you're just getting started. Great place for a person just graduating from college to start!

Cons

Not quite as much name recognition as the Big 4, but GT is a significantly better place to grow and the brand is still great!

4. "Great Experience"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, love the benefits, good working environment and culture

Cons

I have not encountered any issues to date.

Advice to Management

Create a centralized business technology department

5. "Great corporate culture; people-first focus"

Current Employee - Senior Associate - RAS in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

GT consistently shows in all offices I've experienced that they put people first. This means their people, as well as the people at the client. They want you to grow in your career. It's incredible the level of access to upper management/ partnership you have compared to other public accounting firms.

Cons

If you are travel adverse then you are more than likely to be disappointed in the time on the road. The hours required and demand from the client can be overwhelming at times.

"Sr. Operations and Knowledge Manager, Strategic Federal Tax Services"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

Training was excellent. The people were dedicated and truly understood customer service. The culture was engaging and the work was challenging. I had the opportunity to work with many wonderful people during my stint there and made several lifelong friends.

Cons

Technology lacked the robustness to support the needs of the organization. The move to outsource aspects of technology maintenance and Knowledge Management was difficult. It caused a disconnect that required more work than anticipated.

Advice to Management

Enrich the technology to better support the employees. Acquire software that is scalable versus relying on home grown programs that is outdated.

"Grant Thornton - Reality is very different from the sales pitch"

Current Employee - Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Grant Thornton for more than 2 years

Pros

Aware that there is a need to change the environment/culture so training is a big part of the organization.

Cons

People are very separated and there is a huge mindset from leaders that is very different from the training given to change the culture. The organization was misleading about the role and work done in the FS group. Doesn't seem the organization has the maturity in the industry to really grow as they want to outside of the Accounting/Audit/BAS groups.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect and develop clear expectations of roles and work you for people you hire. Remove the "we hire your friends" mentality and monitor the types of incentives that promote unfavorable behaviors that separate and devalue employees.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Grant Thornton is a great place to build a long term career if you're interested in both professional services or general business. Career paths for the external client-serving roles are clearly defined; however, if you need a change of pace or are interested in internal roles there are also lots of options in a variety of areas (e.g. HR, Finance, Operations, etc.). Pay and benefits are on par or above industry in general...

Cons

For external client-serving personnel, like in any professional services firm, there are trade-off with work / life balance due to work hours / travel requirements. However, these may or may not be "cons" depending on your career desires.

9. "Growth Opportunities!"

Current Employee - Tax Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

As a new associate, I was looking for a firm with great opportunities for growth while also receiving personalized career development and mentorship. I've found that and more at Grant Thornton. It has been the perfect firm to start my career with as I've been presented with many leadership opportunities very early on.

Cons

Although the firm was room for growth in diversity, it's clear this is a strategic priority of leadership and the culture of the firm is very inclusion.

10. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Tax Intern in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Grant Thornton for more than a year

Pros

Great access to higher management Amazing culture environment within the office Plenty of variety regarding type of work Friendly coworkers makes going to work fun

Cons

Long hours during busy season that puts a strain on work/life balance Work projects can sometimes be stressful and unpredictable

Advice to Management

Keep doing everything you do! Everyone appreciates the open door policy and the opportunity to work with higher level individuals across service lines and locations

Found 19 reviews