Grant Thornton Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Grant Thornton CEO Mike McGuire
Mike McGuire

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance is of course difficult during the busy times/season (in 89 reviews)

• Long hours however flexible time off is helpful (in 91 reviews)

1. "Senior Audit Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Culture and fair compensation for the industry.

Cons

Long hours during busy season

Advice to Management

Continue to value every team member

"IT"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best coworkers, but most are now gone.

Cons

No advancement and lack real advancement or training.

3. "Contract Administrator"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Grant Thornton as a contractor

Pros

You get a paycheck and they have some free beverages. Other than that expect to be frustrated by the lack of intelligence of the people who work here.

Cons

I have been told that the Director did not have a high school diploma or a GED. My manager had no management experience. I have 16 years of management experience. At first I thought she was giving me misinformation on purpose. I later found out that she was just not bright, but in the meantime the blame fell on me. Dumb your self down and you will do well here. Oh and expect that your manager will bad mouth you once you leave even though you gave her a list and status of everything that you were working on before you left. She sat on it and in her typical fashion passed the blame.

Advice to Management

Do not allow a department to be full of someone's friends. Make sure that promotions are based upon experience and not because someone likes you.

"Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time

Pros

They have a great benefits package

Cons

Leadership of the company does a poor job of communicating to employees. Organizational planning is lacking, the company has many incidents with "over" hiring.

5. "Position descriptions need to be updated. Employees need to respect each other."

Former Employee - Word Processor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Word Processor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time

Pros

Free fruit in the morning, free beverage for lunch, and free snack in the afternoon.

Cons

Employees do not respect the time of other employees.

Advice to Management

Note: The Word Processor job description for the Report Production area needs to be updated!
    - The Chicago Grant Thornton office uses Microsoft 2013 products (not 2007).
    - The job description requires typing skills of 65+ words per minute. No typing test was given. The person in this position does not require 65+ words per minute. 35 words per minute would be fine. There is very little typing required.
    - The job description indicates the position is 80% Word Processing and 20% administrative assistance. In reality, the position consists almost entirely of cleaning up financial reports for the audit managers. Reviewing the reports to make sure "$" and "(" are not underlined, making sure the tables look good, completing a spelling and grammar check using Word, and reading the entire report (final proof/format) to check for any major mistakes are the main tasks. During the busy season, this job is extremely busy. The department is understaffed for busy season, especially with two new employees.

Certain auditors like to come up with 5 or 10 minutes left in the day and ask for work that they indicate needs to be done that day. They are either very rude or not very organized. You have to make sure they do not take advantage of you and your time. I stayed past my time and the lead person in the department told me that if you stay late you have to "eat" the time. (I think "eating" the time would be illegal for hourly employees.) She indicated overtime must be approved 48 hours in advance. I talked to my performance coach/temporary manager (who is located in Wisconsin) and she indicated that you mark the overtime when you complete payroll and she did not mention the 48-hour overtime rule. Hmm!

Auditors are required to allow 48 hours for final proof/format. Multiple auditors expect a 24-hour turnaround. Management needs to ensure the auditors know and follow the rules for work processing. The Report Production area is without an onsite manager, so the employees are not empowered to say "no" when the auditors are not following the rules.

I had two trainers. One was good. She was methodical, went step-by-step, and was patient. The other was abrasive and condescending, loud, jumped all over the place when describing processes, and was impatient. If the company wants her to continue in a training role, she needs to be provided with training.

One coworker would come in each morning and spend 10 to 15 minutes complaining about her ex and her current spouse's ex. She also complained about a prior employee that worked in the department. It is not pleasant working with someone who has a negative attitude nearly every morning.

Grant Thornton Response

Mar 17, 2017 – People & Culture

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your experience at Grant Thornton. We are disappointed to hear that this was your experience. We encourage you to reach out to your local HR professional to... More

6. "Good Place to Start Your Career"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone I've worked with has been fairly normal and easy to work with. There are a lot of good personalities in the Chicago office. If you work with your coach, it's not super difficult to get experience in whichever industry you choose. By the time you get through your second busy season, you'll have gained exposure to nearly all sections of the audit, not just a handful of balance sheet areas. The learning opportunities are endless and just keep coming. You never truly get comfortable as you're continuously given more and more responsibility, but this helps you grow as an auditor and as a person in general.

Cons

Some jobs can be poorly managed from the top down (poor staffing choices, timeline, etc.). Also, the year-end bonus and raise was a joke.

Advice to Management

Fully consider staffing requirements on large engagements, especially when new partners/managers are thrown into the mix. This almost always leads to changes being made which will require a larger budget. Also, compensate employees more appropriately.

Grant Thornton Response

Feb 21, 2017 – People & Culture

We’re so glad to hear the many positive things about your experience as an employee at Grant Thornton. We do place great importance on offering our employees the opportunity to learn about different... More

7. "They try to do right but too often fail"

Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good co-workers. Strong industry demand. Flexibility for some but inconsistent applied. Flexible time off is good concept and yet too often unfairly managed.

Cons

Out of touch leaders. Focus on political games and process instead of getting things done. Care about taking care of the 1% and not the people working hard every day to make the company profitable.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees and don't focus on taking care of primarily the partners.

"Bad for IT professionals"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible work arrangements, training encouraged, competitive salary. Before IT was outsourced management cared about employees and culture was like a family. 20 days PTO, pension

Cons

After bringing on a consulting firm for staff augmentation they slowly sold their services until they now run IT with very few internal employees left. Morale in IT was nonexistent. Raises are sad. If you are a top performers it might be 5%. Bonus structure not clear about 5k for an employee making 100k a year. Hard to believe we were best place to work in IT just a few years ago.

Advice to Management

IT has never been a priority for this company and it never will. Also stop outsourcing good accounting jobs to your service center in India for cheap labor and bring those jobs back to America.

9. "COMPANY ON GROWTH"

Former Employee - Marketing Department Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing Department Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Grant Thornton (More than 8 years)

Pros

BIG COMPANY, offering a good opportunity for learning.

Cons

Poor internal promotion and no conciliation

10. "reputable company, good for entry into corporate"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Chicago, IL
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Grant Thornton as a contractor

Pros

Lots of opportunities for team building, appears that most all employees are dedicated to their job and care about doing quality work, pleasant office setting, diverse work culture, very tech savvy

Cons

Position is stationary probably 95% of time, entry assignments can be tedious and at times too complex for time-limited contractors to stand behind work 100% before audit takes place or other parties are penalized if not ultimately accurate.

Advice to Management

Consider hiring more local employees, not immigrants or transplants from other GT offices

Showing 90 of 1,331 reviews