Grant Thornton International Reviews in Denver, CO | Glassdoor

3.2
Grant Thornton International CEO Ed Nusbaum
Ed Nusbaum
1 Rating

Pros
  • work life balance, interesting work, fun group (in 28 reviews)

• People are good pros of big 4 without cons of (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • But a better work culture than some of the Big 4 (in 31 reviews)

• long hours, lack of flexibility (in 20 reviews)

1. "Good company, Good place to work"

Current Employee - Associate in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Associate in Denver, CO

Pros

High growth mindset, and lots of room to expand in their target market
    Willing to change and adapt to market conditions
    Keep employees involved in decision making process and vision

Cons

Pay not a competitive as it could be
    Room for improvement in performance feedback and communication
    Training process could be improved

Advice to Management

Provide opportunities for people who may want to customize their career path

2. "It's a little better than Big 4"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

It's work in public accounting with marginally better work life balance than what my friends at the Big 4 describe.

Cons

It's still public accounting, with all the stress and frustractions that come with it. If you're expecting great work life balance, public accounting is never the way to go

3. "GT really cares about their employees...most of the time"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Denver, CO

Pros

They truly care about the well-being of their people. The months of January-April can really be a nightmare, but the partners really make an effort to compensate their employees fairly and to ensure that nobody gets burned out. They really care about giving their employees unique opportunities too. For example, the managing partner in my office encourages seniors to go to Australia during their busy season (July/August). Also, I LOVE working with the people at Grant Thornton. I can honestly say that my best friends right now are the people I have met at GT - I wouldn't trade my relationships with them for the world. Plus the annual trainings are an absolute blast!

Cons

My answer above must be qualified by the fact that I just transferred from another Grant Thornton office about six months ago, and my experience in that office was 100% different from the one I am having in my current office. At my old office, I felt like the partners and managers did not care about me at all. In fact, after 2 years with the firm, there were a couple partners who still didn't know my name and would even avert their eyes when passing me and other staff members in the hallway. They spouted a lot of the GT lingo, such as "the GT experience" and "work/life balance" and then look you in the eye 5 minutes later and ask you to give up your entire weekend to come into work. I genuinely felt that they used their employees as work horses and nothing more. Making the transfer was the best thing I ever did - my current office is much smaller and has a way different feel. In this location, I feel like the partners are motivated by a geniune concern for their employees and not a concern for their bottom line. From speaking with other GT employees across the country, I get the impression that my experience in the first office is an anomaly...hopefully most GT offices more closely resemble my latter experience.

Advice to Management

My advice to senior management would be to not forget what it is like to be an associate or a new employee. Public accounting is a tough industry, and people will leave in a heartbeat if you don't treat them with respect and compassion.