Grant Thornton Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 23, 2018

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

3.6

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Strong focus on work-life balance" (in 196 reviews)

• "Great people and great working environment" (in 100 reviews)

Cons
  • "Poor Work Life Balance And Low Perks" (in 125 reviews)

• "Long hours and not great benefits" (in 128 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Audit Associate"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great people to work with, everyone is inclusive and friendly.
    -The work/life balance is good. Hours are busy, but manageable. Our Flex Time Off policy gives us unlimited time off as long as we are maintaining certain percentage of chargeable hours, which is not hard to do.
    -Great culture. GT has really stressed culture in recent years. We strive for Collaboration, Leadership, Excellence, Agility, Responsibility, and Respect.
    -We are a mid-tier firm, so we are working with large clients on a regular basis. However, we are still able to have a "small firm feel" when it comes to working with small teams.
    -Opportunities. Endless opportunities at Grant Thornton. You have flexibility to transition into different service lines within the firm. Recruiters are also constantly trying to hire you into industry positions. Even in your current position, you have the freedom to choose the industry you're interested in (financial services, real-estate, etc.).
    -Flexibility. As you move up in the firm, you have more freedom to choose the hours you work. Some people like to come in early and leave early, others come in late and stay late, most work the normal 9 to 5 during off peak times.
    -Growth. GT is a growing firm. We are really trying to differentiate ourselves from the other mid-tier firms through our marketing campaign. This gives us access to better clients and better brand recognition.

Cons

-It is public accounting, so obviously hours are long (55-70 hours during busy season, 35-50 during off-peak times)
    -Travel. I am fortunate and only travel about 25% or less, but I know people who are on the road a lot.

Grant Thornton Response

Sep 7, 2018 – People & Culture

Thank you for taking the time to post your review! So happy to hear you are able to use our flexibility policies to enjoy work life balance. Our people are awesome too, and it sounds like we are... More

2. "Audit associate campus hire"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay and work environment, opportunities for advancement and travel both domestically and internationally, committed to culture, flexible time off

Cons

Hierarchical like any public accounting firm, long hours during busy season, retirement benefits aren’t as great as other firms might be

3. "Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great experience at GT; got to work on impactful engagements, interacting closely with managers, directors, and partners at the firm as well as with top officials at client site. Really learned a lot and definitely recommend this as a solid place to work. Management is really enthusiastic about maintaining and promoting the firm culture and you can really see the positive impact on it in the way we work and the way our team members interact with each other and with the broader firm.

Cons

Only real con is that engagement opportunities remain opaque; it's hard to tell what opportunities are out there and often you find out about a new project from Resource Management a day or two before it starts, without much flexibility in pursuing your own preferences at least in my experience.

Advice to Management

Consider making the resource management process more open and flexible, to allow people to seek engagements that line up with their interests and skills (at least when it makes sense with the firm's staffing needs).

4. "Advisory Senior Associate"

Former Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, laid back

Cons

Poor management, and lack of staff.

The turnover of an entire class of seniors led to a vicious cycle of poor work
     quality, and inexperienced associates being dumped with engagements that were handled by seniors that were on their way out. As a result, the associates and seniors remaining were left holding the bags on clients that were unhappy, angry, and overbudget.

In my opinion the office here never recovered from that exodus, and since then have slowly been losing more and more staff and knowledge to the point that we now have a year long busy season, and performing triage most of the time to stop the bleeding.

You sometimes thrown into engagements just to "put a body in" so inexperienced people are left doing work. 100% of the time, when they are told to "roll over" work, it ends in poor quality work that results in redoing all the work and blowing up the budget. Accountability of work is not there.

Advice to Management

I'd say to hire more staff, but I don't think staff will stay long in this current environment. SSC doesn't cut it.

5. "Audit"

Current Employee - Auditor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Auditor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great. 401k match could be better. Partner face time. Industry experience

Cons

Pay and large amounts of busy work.

Advice to Management

Keep up with industry standards of pay.

6. "GT Philadephia"

Former Employee - Audit Senior in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Audit Senior in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well diversed environment
    Structured coaching and an eye for professional development
    Unlimited FTO

Cons

required 60 hours of work per week during busy season

7. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relatively flexible working hour here

Cons

pay is relatively low here

"Great firm to work for but partner attitudes and behaviors still need to change!"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Huge investment in changing the culture
    Awesome CEO
    Great vision and values
    Amazing people
    A really fun place to work despite being a bunch of accountants and consultants!

Cons

Partner attitudes still need to change in a big way. There is too much in-fighting still over who serves which clients with what services. Significant conflicts arise that seem so unnecessary when the good of the client is what matters most.

Confusing manner of organizing services internally. Also creates unnecessary in-fighting and tension. Tensions rise over which service line should be providing which sub-service. This is an issue in Advisory....not Audit and Tax as these services are more straight forward with a lot less overlap.

Vacation policy really stinks. Used to be a generous 20 days vacation plus holidays at Manager and below. 25 for Directors. Then they moved to "unlimited time off" based on your professional judgement. Over time, the restrictions put in place and the forms that must be filled out have caused this change to be a huge negative for the employee. They would be better off moving back to the structured number of days approach instead.

Advice to Management

See Cons. Fix PTO policy and associated administrative approval process for taking time off. Work on further revisions to Advisory offerings to make sure it is more clear as to which subservicelines take the lead on what type of work. Address cultural barriers at the Partner level that negatively affect how people resources are allocated to proposal opportunities and service delivery.

Grant Thornton Response

Sep 27, 2018 – People & Culture

Thank you for sharing! We’re so glad to hear the many positive things about your experience as an employee at Grant Thornton. We recognize the industry is diverse and each project has different... More

9. "Stay away"

Former Employee - Audit Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Audit Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pays for Becker cpa review course
    Hires great people - I loved my start class
    Compared to big 4, you’ll probably work less (most hours I worked was 65-70 hours during busy season

Cons

Grossly over hired, then laid off a ton of people
    Poor training and no mentorship: I received little to no on the job training and noticed that many seniors didn’t seem to know what they were doing. I came away feeling like I didn’t learn anything after the year of being there. This also creates a lot of anxiety for staff as there’s a ton of pressure to meet deadlines, but oftentimes you don’t know what you’re doing and don’t have any support or direction. This for me was more stressful than the hours.
    No interesting work - maybe this is just the nature of audit but I felt like it was mostly just tie-outs and vouching invoices
    There’s no feeling of mastery or even fair practice over any given audit cycle because unless you get a public job (la office hardly had any public clients) you’re thrown on small, messy engagements where you feel like you’re starting over each time. I think for this reason, big 4 is better because you’re on one client for a longer period and therefore have more time to gain a solid knowledge base.

Advice to Management

3 day national trainings are useless. Invest in better trainings for your people.

"Understand "LLP""

Former Employee - Director in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Houston, TX

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, good culture, strong values which are generally exhibited. Their target clientele are "Mid-Market" which is growing and dynamic. Interesting work and generally have the means and autonomy to do good work

Cons

As a traditional Audit and Tax company, they are at an inflection point. They have taken steps to embrace Consulting work, but the majority of the Partners are still Auditors so when it comes to changing policy, prioritizing work and allocating resources, they are stuck in the past. Hitch your wagon to a rising -star Partner, or get cast aside. Old-boy network lives on.

Advice to Management

Make a clear decision on Consulting - all in or out. The constant debating of Conflict of Interest is confusing and frustrating to clients. They will simply chose to go with a provider that doesn't have that issue.

Showing 922 of 1,929 reviews