Grant Thornton Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 15, 2018

US - All Cities

3.5

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Strong focus on work-life balance" (in 199 reviews)

• "Great people and great working environment" (in 104 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Audit Associate"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great people to work with, everyone is inclusive and friendly.
    -The work/life balance is good. Hours are busy, but manageable. Our Flex Time Off policy gives us unlimited time off as long as we are maintaining certain percentage of chargeable hours, which is not hard to do.
    -Great culture. GT has really stressed culture in recent years. We strive for Collaboration, Leadership, Excellence, Agility, Responsibility, and Respect.
    -We are a mid-tier firm, so we are working with large clients on a regular basis. However, we are still able to have a "small firm feel" when it comes to working with small teams.
    -Opportunities. Endless opportunities at Grant Thornton. You have flexibility to transition into different service lines within the firm. Recruiters are also constantly trying to hire you into industry positions. Even in your current position, you have the freedom to choose the industry you're interested in (financial services, real-estate, etc.).
    -Flexibility. As you move up in the firm, you have more freedom to choose the hours you work. Some people like to come in early and leave early, others come in late and stay late, most work the normal 9 to 5 during off peak times.
    -Growth. GT is a growing firm. We are really trying to differentiate ourselves from the other mid-tier firms through our marketing campaign. This gives us access to better clients and better brand recognition.

Cons

-It is public accounting, so obviously hours are long (55-70 hours during busy season, 35-50 during off-peak times)
    -Travel. I am fortunate and only travel about 25% or less, but I know people who are on the road a lot.

Grant Thornton Response

Sep 7, 2018 – People & Culture

Thank you for taking the time to post your review! So happy to hear you are able to use our flexibility policies to enjoy work life balance. Our people are awesome too, and it sounds like we are... More

"Great firm to work for but partner attitudes and behaviors still need to change!"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Huge investment in changing the culture
    Awesome CEO
    Great vision and values
    Amazing people
    A really fun place to work despite being a bunch of accountants and consultants!

Cons

Partner attitudes still need to change in a big way. There is too much in-fighting still over who serves which clients with what services. Significant conflicts arise that seem so unnecessary when the good of the client is what matters most.

Confusing manner of organizing services internally. Also creates unnecessary in-fighting and tension. Tensions rise over which service line should be providing which sub-service. This is an issue in Advisory....not Audit and Tax as these services are more straight forward with a lot less overlap.

Vacation policy really stinks. Used to be a generous 20 days vacation plus holidays at Manager and below. 25 for Directors. Then they moved to "unlimited time off" based on your professional judgement. Over time, the restrictions put in place and the forms that must be filled out have caused this change to be a huge negative for the employee. They would be better off moving back to the structured number of days approach instead.

Advice to Management

See Cons. Fix PTO policy and associated administrative approval process for taking time off. Work on further revisions to Advisory offerings to make sure it is more clear as to which subservicelines take the lead on what type of work. Address cultural barriers at the Partner level that negatively affect how people resources are allocated to proposal opportunities and service delivery.

Grant Thornton Response

Sep 27, 2018 – People & Culture

Thank you for sharing! We’re so glad to hear the many positive things about your experience as an employee at Grant Thornton. We recognize the industry is diverse and each project has different... More

3. "Recruiting Coordinator"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Coordinator in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Coordinator in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture, Flexibility, good maternity leave

Cons

No progression for internal client serving

4. "Working for GT"

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time

Pros

Relatively relaxed when compared to other large consulting firms

Cons

Have catch up to do in my field of data science

"Great people, not so great culture"

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, the people here are very supportive and friendly. There really is a team atmosphere and everyone supports everyone. They give everyone a voice and give people the chance to grow and learn.

Cons

The company likes to think they have a special culture, but in reality they are not big 4 firm trying to be a big 4 firm. The firm calculation for utilization rate is the worst policy they have, making their FTO policy meaningless because you cannot take any time off if you want to hit their utilization goals. They also compensate lower compared to other firms.

Advice to Management

Change the utilization calculation to provide employees actual time off, and realistic expectations.

"I, like the car above, was also once stuck in the stone."

Former Employee - Auditor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Auditor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-A good starting job out of college
    -Seniors and staff are likable
    -I was fortunate enough to have been exposed to multiple industries (vital to future career opportunities)
    -Becker CPA study material... if you get to use it when you have time or are not always tired

Cons

-Job did not feel secure given the countless waves of layoffs
    -An engagement sometimes feels like riding a bicycle without handlebars
    -Work-life balance can be pretty bad depending on the manager
    -Some of my peers were being overworked
    -Reward for good work is more work
    -I didn't feel like I was the "captain of my career"
    -Slow operating technology that is due for an overhaul in comparison to B4
    -Some people are difficult to work with and yet they are still here as opposed to others who are kind and helpful
    -Resources (time and money) spent on ???? rather than personnel/technology
    -No PTO/Vacation accrual
    -Lesser prestige than Big 4
    -Fierce competition for Fortune 100 jobs

Advice to Management

-Less cloak and dagger when giving feedback to Seniors and Staff (people never develop professionally if you are dishonest about their performance)
    -Bad morale affects everyone's' mood elevator
    -Invest in better operating technology
    -Better training programs

7. "Great culture"

Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Iselin, NJ
    Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Iselin, NJ

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, friendly staff, opportunity to advance quickly, great culture.

Cons

Opportunities for internal training could be better. Compensation not on par with Big 4.

"GT Treats employees poorly !"

Former Employee - Associate in Fort Belvoir, VA
    Former Employee - Associate in Fort Belvoir, VA

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is basically an overhyped and glorified temp staffing agency and staff augmentation firm. Warning ! Join this company at your own risk. This is the place where hopes and dreams for a successful and rewarding career are crushed and replaced with despair, suffering, and depression. You shouldn’t believe the false misleading statements they make during the interview and recruiting process.

Cons

Everything is a con. Including the fake unlimited paid time off (impossible to take it during busy season and they make you jump through so many hoops and the navigate the Byzantine and labyrinthine approval process to take more than 3 days off in a row). you don’t actually accrue vacation time (they save money that way because when someone separates from the firm they don’t have to pay out their accrued leave). The clients are pretty mid tier clients with boring business - you won’t learn any new skills. Just make sure to brush up on your Excel Pivot Table skills! That is the extent of their IT department is using WORD EXCEL and POWERPOINT for pretty much everything

Advice to Management

Umm, maybe go back to normal regular FTO / PTO system like the vast Majority of accounting firms!

9. "Decent company"

Current Employee - Associate in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

diversity in projects, opportunities to expand skill set

Cons

mentorship needs improvement, tons of administrative BS

"A Thorn in my side"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Backstabbing paranoiac death march perpetual crisis culture makes your harder and more resilient to stress. Coworkers will deliberately sabotage your work just to obtain a higher rating and will actively attempt to take credit for your work and steal your ideas. A cabal of senior managers attempting to make partner control the vast majority of the bureaucracy.

Cons

Everything about this place is a waking nightmare. The people they hire are dumb as a rocks with no intellectual curiosity and inane bland personalities from a reality Tv show. Pointless Administrative chores add to the overall enjoyment. Imagine hitting yourself in the face repeatedly with a brick, running backwards in the middle of a torrential rainstorm, in the freezing cold, at midnight, in a sketchy high crime neighborhood, in while simultaneously being forced to transcribe random entries from the dictionary as punishment, and perform long arithmetic tabulations with only an abacus as a tool, while hungry and sleep deprived and having cruel insults shouted in your face. Then you will have perhaps a small inkling of what it is like to work for Grant’s Thron-Ton.

Advice to Management

Liquidate the company and divest all assets immediately, before regulatory oversight bodies crack down on your unethical business practices and inhumane working conditions.