Grant Thornton Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Grant Thornton CEO Mike McGuire
Mike McGuire

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance is of course difficult during the busy times/season (in 78 reviews)

• Brand not as strong as big 4 or premier strategy consulting shops (in 82 reviews)

1. "Good...."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people in the firm

Cons

Difficult clients where the Partners/Principals will work to make them happy at the expense of GT staff

2. "Advisory Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you take advantage of it, the culture is great. They promote a better work-life balance than the Big 4 companies. The flexible time off (FTO), versus PTO at other companies, allowed for the flexibility that some people need in their lives. The senior management is good about not throwing work on your plate last minute.

Cons

(1) Annual reviews and promotion process is subjective, your interpersonal skills are more important than your knowledge in the work you do. If people like you, you're good to go. (2) Out of the 10 or so senior management (managers, directors, and above), only one added value to the client and to my own career path. (3) Travel can be inconsistent year to year - anywhere from 20 - 80%. So if you're quoted a travel percentage don't get attached.

3. "Staff Accountant"

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time

Pros

Most people there were very friendly

Cons

They work people too hard and don't value their employees

5. "Not for me"

Former Employee - Tax Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Tax Senior Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice offices, casual feel, laid back staff

Cons

No direction from senior staff, backstabbing

Advice to Management

Foster an environment of honesty and develop staff for career advancement

6. "Analyst"

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GT US SSC: Nothing much

Cons

GT US SSC: Biased leadership of managers. low pay. blame game.

7. "They try to do right but too often fail"

Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good co-workers. Strong industry demand. Flexibility for some but inconsistent applied. Flexible time off is good concept and yet too often unfairly managed.

Cons

Out of touch leaders. Focus on political games and process instead of getting things done. Care about taking care of the 1% and not the people working hard every day to make the company profitable.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees and don't focus on taking care of primarily the partners.

"Manager"

Pros

Very little the industry itself is boring

Cons

Average for the industry. Everyone tried hard but when push comes to shove quality of life always plays second fiddle to your responsibilities

"Great for some, horrible for others"

Pros

Great CEO, good work life balance

Cons

This firm is highly rated on this site, but I guarantee it's mostly from external client service lines (people from Tax, Audit, Advisory etc). If you're an employee in Internal Client Services i.e. Marketing, HR, Administrative personnel, you get screwed over big time. Let me explain... For one, when I was hired I was told my salary was slightly below market value and we don't get bonuses because we're have overtime. Last year they took overtime away. The administrative personnel had to work when they announced to the whole firm that doors would be closed during the holidays. They have told us for years and years they would develop a career plan/continuum for ICS and still nothing. Then they change from PTO to FTO (flexible/no limit days off). But guess what, ICS people have limits, whereas ECS do not (from my own experience and from what I've heard from other people). They of course won't say that though... I also know a senior manager in ECS who sexually harassed and groped a few ICS employees at a happy hour. It was brought to HR, but nothing was done to him. It made all of us in ICS that know (especially the victims) worthless and devalued, and showing that the firm is definitely not living the values they preach. I am very disappointed with this company to say the least.

Advice to Management

Treat ALL your employees the same

10. "Manager"

Current Employee - Experienced Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Experienced Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small, growing, international firm that is trying to catch up with regards to services and approaches

Cons

Poor culture, poor growth in DoD and State/Local as well as a handful of other areas; High overhead including an HR culture transformation that is a waste of time; a tale of two firms - some really strong talent, but director and senior manager levels are not dynamic, innovative or very good at management

Advice to Management

Culture changes with the projects, the staff appreciation, and training -- not a banner with an organization that has performed the same cultural change techniques for the last 20 years

Grant Thornton Response

Jan 18, 2017 – People & Culture

Thank you for sharing your feedback, we are disappointed to hear this has been your experience. Our culture and career initiatives focus on offering our employees the resources to grow personally and ... More

"Don't waste your time"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time

Pros

Work life balance used to be good, but now they are trying to squeeze more time out of their employees without a raise.

Cons

The FP&A department offers no room for growth. They do not promote from within and your contributions go unrewarded. Once you are there you will not receive any significant compensation increases even if you are a high performer. Management doesn't respect the voices of their employees and will take advantage of you as much as possible.

There is also lack of intelligent leadership, and many bad decisions are made that will impact your experience in a negative way. HR does not care and will not lift a finger to help in spite of their fake progressive attitude.

There is no attempt to improve the efficiency of operations and if you try to make suggestions you will be ignored. This is a great place to work if you have no desire to be independent, like being led by morons, and enjoy being berated and put down by management.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the dinosaur mentality and replace management with people who know how to get things done.

Grant Thornton Response

Dec 19, 2016 – People & Culture

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your experience at Grant Thornton. We are disappointed to hear that this was your experience. We focus on offering our employees an environment to ... More

Showing 130 of 1,169 reviews