Grant Thornton Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 22, 2017

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance is of course difficult during the busy times/season (in 89 reviews)

• Long hours however flexible time off is helpful (in 91 reviews)

1. "Good company, but long hours"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great medical benefits, stability, good location

Cons

Have to work overtime to meet utilization goals as a consultant

"Associate"

Current Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture: GT takes a very active approach to making sure the culture here is a great experience. I have worked for a few companies with horrible culture. GT goes above and beyond. We have monthly culture meetings, firm wide events, etc. It is almost too much, but it is what makes GT stand out.

Work load: GT give a nice steady work load. I am rarely bored. On occasion I ask around the office for work, but I am always able to find something substantial to do.

Experience: I am getting to work on a variety of different projects. I have worked on everything from a tax provision to a NFP project.

People: most of my co-workers are willing to help and answer questions. There are those who are nonstop irritable but they wont last. All of my managers and partners are team players and team leaders.

Client contact: I have had substantial client contact within the first 90 days.

Work/Life balance: Very good. During busy season expect to work a lot. But during slow season, expect to work average hours. GT is good about letting associates with families spend time with them. During my kids baseball season, GT let me come in early so I could leave at 4 to get to my kid's game. They also let a employees work from home.

Cons

Pay is not ideal, but the culture and opportunity make up for it.

FTO Policy: I hear a lot of complaints about the new FTO policy, I don't mind the changes because the FTO policy is still great compared to other companies. But they do make you jump through a ton of hops to get approved.

Advice to Management

In the past, GT would let all the employees have the last week of December off as holiday pay, but GT took away the holiday hours for Christmas and makes you track it as FTO days (making it harder to get approved for FTO). I hear a lot of complaints about this. I would advise you revisit this issue, because everyone (from associate to director) is complaining about this.

Over all GT is a great place to work. The FTO and Pay are not great, but still better than most companies. I love the culture here, and would advice you continue doing as you are.

Grant Thornton Response

Jun 12, 2017 – People & Culture

We’re so glad to hear the many positive things about your experience as an employee at Grant Thornton. It sounds like we are lucky to have you on our team! We value your opinion and will use this... More

3. "RCS Admin"

Current Employee - RCS Administrative in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - RCS Administrative in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Able to move work schedule slightly.

Cons

Not a lot of advancement opportunities, low pay, heavy workload.

4. "Audit senior"

Former Employee - Senior Audit Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Audit Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits - good network. Decent training and a national presence. Decent review structure and decent pay for the work.

Cons

Issues with certain departments - very focused on singular development. When there are issues with engagements more time spent finger pointing then resolving.

5. "Eye -opening experience -The phrase “just an EA” is used far too often."

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time

Pros

The office is business casual and in a decent location. There is also an opportunity for free training or “refresher” training on certain office software if you are in administrative support. If you are lucky enough to support a service line that values your input and empowers you to do your job, you can count yourself lucky. I got lucky in this regard. Good place to get your “feet wet” for those wanting to jump into the public accounting arena or new to the workforce.

Cons

• Office politics (interpersonal skills) & not performance play hand in far too much & input appears to be encouraged to pacify not improve.
    • Culture journey teaches you how to play "office politics" with a smile
    • Processes are unnecessarily complicated & very little guidance is offered.
    • Lack of communication, organizational structure & clear guidelines across all levels causes unnecessary confusion
    • Compensation low for experience; no opportunity for bonuses and extremely low raise percentage if any at all
    • Support staff treated as they should be seen not heard
    *Under utilizes the technology at their fingertips

Advice to Management

Ask, listen & digest feedback from those that support you. Their voices can add value. Being told you have a job is a "perk" is not exactly a morale booster. You should also make an attempt to make them feel as if their voice or position is not any less important than an intern, manager or anyone else.

Grant Thornton Response

Jun 29, 2017 – People & Culture

We are disappointed to hear that this was your experience at Grant Thornton. We focus on offering our employees an environment to communicate openly, while enacting opportunities for our employees to... More

6. "Mr."

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Camden, SC
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Camden, SC

I have been working at Grant Thornton part-time

Pros

Wish to showcase my ability, work with t he company team to make the company meet its target and objectives.

Cons

best of the best to make the greatest of all

Advice to Management

improve on the strength of the company

7. "Tax Operations Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company is invested in the whole employee; cares about the employee morale and well being of their employees.

Cons

Some management needs more awareness of employees tasks and what is involved in their completion. Also, too many meetings where nothing is accomplished.

Advice to Management

Spend time with employees while they work so you can see what they do to get the job done, i.e, "management by walking around", don't just stay in your office delegating tasks.

"Tax Operations Specialist"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GT offers great benefits including health, dental, and vision insurance; 401K; Legal Assistance, Pet Insurance, Adoption assistance, Firm paid ERP, SoFi Student Loan Refinancing

Cons

The FTO policy is not as flexible as it appears.

9. "Advisory"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture, Work/life Balance, Pay, Growth Opportunities

Cons

I have not come across any.

10. "Get your career on!"

Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. Entrepreneurial spirit with flexibility to contribute in areas that I historically have not been exposed to at other companies.

Cons

Stubborn 401(k) match and only once per year.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing and stretching us. Great work environment.

Showing 1,228 of 1,331 reviews