Grant Thornton Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 18, 2017

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance is of course difficult during the busy times/season (in 100 reviews)

• Sometimes long hours but that's the nature of public accounting (in 95 reviews)

1. "Accountant"

Former Employee - Accountant in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Irvine, CA

I worked at Grant Thornton (More than a year)

Pros

Good culture and client base

Cons

Long hours during busy season

2. "Great place to start out!"

Current Employee - Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They really value professional development and there is always help available when you're just getting started. Great place for a person just graduating from college to start!

Cons

Not quite as much name recognition as the Big 4, but GT is a significantly better place to grow and the brand is still great!

"Senior Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Place to Work starting out a career!

Cons

Small Bonuses and the majority of job satisfactory is the clients and team you are on.

"Senior Tax Accountant"

Former Employee - Senior Tax Accountant in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Tax Accountant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Big Four experience with Mid-market feel. Tons of opportunity to seek out what type of industries you want to work in, as well as the types of tax returns you like to work with (i.e. 1120, 1065, 1040, etc).

Cons

After a while you can get stuck working on companies or tax return types that you are not interested in. Or in my case, forced to moved to SALT from Federal tax, then 2 years later forced to move back to Federal when one of the former employees came back.

Advice to Management

Get away from the old school Arthur Anderson mentality that resonates from top management. Create your own identity. One that top talent will want to come work for either straight out of school or from other firms.

5. "Overall a Great Employer"

Current Employee - Tax Associate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fair amount of flexibility in work hours, can work from home if needed. Feedback (in the form of review points) during busy season helps employees progress in technical skills. Great environment to work in, never worried about personal life/standards being compromised.

Cons

Feedback process is lacking outside of busy season, not a lot of structure of expectations after first few months. Sometimes difficult, though not unbearable, to communicate upwards.

6. "Audit Senior Associate"

Current Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People, Global, Great Opportunities, Great client

Cons

Revenue driven, sometimes the Firm gives too much pressure on the bottomline

7. "Senior Manager Audit"

Current Employee - Audit Senior Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Audit Senior Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is flexibility in schedule with an emphasis on culture and work life balance. The clients are the right size and complexity to provide the right challenges to a growing and experienced professional

Cons

At the stage of Senior Manager there does not appear to be a clear path or transparency on projected path to partner. There is uncertainty on whether you will be partner or if you are being exited from the firm.

Advice to Management

Greater transparency on performance status and plans for the future. Actually engage in the process and come to the collective right answer and then communicate that message out, frequently.

8. "Audit Senior"

Former Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Grant Thornton (More than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging, competitive professionals, consistent professional growth

Cons

None. GT offers competitive working environment for employees.

"Great Company, yet Frustrating at Times"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and people to work with,; plenty of opportunity to get involved in any sort of extracurricular activities, and everyone is very helpful in making sure you reach your goals.

Cons

Despite the fact that they boast about how this firm is growing into one of the larger consulting firms, yet is able to maintain the "small firm" atmosphere... I've seen a transition over the past two years to include more red tape in promotions, raises, bonuses, firing people, etc. They have everything I want in a firm, except proper employee incentives to continue to push myself beyond my comfort zone. They have employees that have been here doing the bare minimum for years, and they don't get laid off or fired because there is too much paper work to be done, which has a negative effect on the rest of the employee pool, because then others see the low achievers still getting paid a good salary, so why would they try harder?

Advice to Management

Find better ways to incentivize the employees, and when someone earns a promotion... maybe consider them giving them a higher percentage raise than someone else who was a high achiever, but did not get the promotion. Also new firm policies are not properly communicated from top management to all employees. this really needs to be done better.

"Senior Associate"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

While working there I was surrounded by smart, efficient and driven people who really cared about their jobs. I also found that co-workers were really nice and very helpful. I got some really excellent experience while working there and learned so much from the performance of my co-workers.

Cons

The work life balance is very difficult at this firm and at times expectations are so high that they are unrealistic. It was not unusual for there to be phone conferences still happening at 10 pm or later. I often felt stressed out by trying to meet numbers set by management.

Advice to Management

Offer a better work life balance and longer term retention would not be a problem.

Showing 1,326 of 1,454 reviews