Grant Thornton Reviews | Glassdoor

Grant Thornton Reviews

Updated June 25, 2017

US - All Cities Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Much better work life balance than big 4 firms (in 149 reviews)

• Great people that are always nice to you (in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is of course difficult during the busy times/season (in 84 reviews)

• Long hours however flexible time off is helpful (in 91 reviews)

1. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Culture of positivity and work life balance

Cons

Also has a very good college hire program

Advice to Management

Enjoy the culture and work.

Apr 11, 2017 – People & Culture

Thank you for taking the time to post your review! So happy to hear you are able to use our flexibility policies to enjoy work life balance. Thanks again for your comment!

"Audit Associate Review"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exposure to different industries, Ability to work along larger audit teams, FTO, Friendly enviornment

Cons

Expected to know everything without being properly trained, In-charge associates do not have time to help teach new hires

Advice to Management

Devote more time to creating a better training and learning experience for new hires.

"Wannabe Big 4 Firm Loosing its way"

Current Employee - Audit Senior in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Audit Senior in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is within industry norms, Becker CPA is paid for, people [for the most part] are very nice.

Cons

FTO [flexible time off AKA unlimited vacation] is NOT flexible. GT implemented this to remove their PTO liability from their books. Everyone else at every other firm [Big 4, RSM, BDO even H&R Block!] will have some kind of PTO payout when the leave the firm.

401K match is minuscule compared to other firms. I believe its 1/4 of the first 6% of pay.

Firm partners have a hard time obtaining/retaining clients. Associate 1s pay the price via layoffs.

There is high turnover in the levels above senior. This creates a vicious cycle of having non-reoccurring people on jobs. Clients hate it, seniors hate it and partners hate it. A true lose-lose-lose.

Culture is only skin deep. Nobody lives by the culture. You just hear about it during training and everyone goes back to working you to the bone. Culture isn't going to stick in a pimp/hoe type business model environment.

Honestly, out of college I didn't get an offer from any of the Big4 so I went with GT. If that's your situation too GT's probably the best you are going to get but if you get an offer from the any of the Big 4 GO FOR IT. Public accounting is all about learning as much as you can, as fast as you can, name-dropping your firm and getting out!

Advice to Management

Novel idea; try to increase your bottom line by retaining existing clients and obtaining new clients rather then taking money out of the pockets of your employees. Be more picky when entering new PPMDs. Some of them obviously are disconnected from their own jobs. Lastly, eating time is a huge problem. Please stop telling us to stop eating time and fix the root cause. Improperly staffed jobs and high turnover at the senior level cause time eating. Time eating causes people to leave. A never ending cycle.

May 8, 2017 – People & Culture

We are disappointed to hear that this was your experience at Grant Thornton. We focus on offering our employees an environment to communicate openly, while enacting opportunities for our employees to ... More

4. "Decent place. Culture shifting for the better"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Awesome place for working moms. Great place for professionals training is great and they allow you to truly control your career progression

Cons

Mgt is not on same page. Not all of mgt has bought into the culture shift or engaged in career progression policies and procedures

Advice to Management

Get partners from different service lines to work together

Apr 11, 2017 – People & Culture

Thank you for sharing about your experience at Grant Thornton. Have you heard of our Leading Women’s Mentoring Network? This program is designed to provide high performing women senior managers with ... More

5. "Tax Senior Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The flexibility with my schedule.

Cons

The salary and year over year raises.

Advice to Management

Pay to keep current employees.

6. "Work life balance is a priority"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They hire people with potential, not to just fill a staff augmentation contract. The tools are there to advance as fast or as comfortably as you want, but you need to use them. Very respectful of work life balance and do a great job emphasizing continuing education through company online training, certification reimbursement and training, graduate degree support, etc.

Cons

In the middle of a cultural shift and have not done a great job communicating expectations. It seems they pushed the shift before figuring it out and it has left both employees and leadership confused

Advice to Management

Uncertainty in company direction makes people look for opportunities and there is a risk of losing talent

Mar 30, 2017 – People & Culture

Thank you for sharing your experience! We do place great importance on offering our employees the opportunity to learn about different industries and clients, enabling them to be the captain of their ... More

7. "Pros/Cons"

Current Employee - Senior Associate - Business Advisory Services in Washington, DC

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and employee benefits, hardworking people and decent work/life balance.

Cons

Not enough work to keep individuals staffed year-round. A lot of possible downtime within schedule.

Advice to Management

Collaborate with other GT offices and the GT Public Sector to keep resources fully engaged.

8. "Company Review"

Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture Transformation process and exposure to various levels of a project and clients early in your career

Cons

Leadership not really living the values

9. "The firm surprised me in a good way."

Current Employee - Experienced Advisory Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Experienced Advisory Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very modern office, extremely laid back people, and management is seriously committed to open communication. I thought all their talk about their culture was just marketing. The pay isn't as high as the most prestigious firms (although GT's brand name is growing) but not cringing whenever I go to work is very valuable to me.

Cons

So far I haven't seen any real cons but I'm still pretty new. The 21st century office space is a little new to me eg no one has a permanent desk so it's confusing at first but it's just a bit of a learning curve.

Advice to Management

Stay committed to the changes you've made.

Mar 17, 2017 – People & Culture

Awesome! It is so wonderful to hear about your positive experience at Grant Thornton. Thank you for your feedback and your enthusiasm. It sounds like we are lucky to have you at our firm!

10. "intern Experience"

Current Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Grant Thornton (Less than a year)

Pros

Encouraging environment, opportunities for career and professional growth, exposure to many moving parts of the audit, treated as a fulltime associate, Partner shadow day, buddy/coach/mentor program, community service involvement, approachable management

Cons

No overtime experience, delayed feedback

Advice to Management

Stress to seniors and coaches to give informal feedback on a more frequent regular basis. It's hard to perform and progress when you aren't sure on how you are doing.

Showing 1,200 of 1,300 reviews