Grant Thornton Reviews | Glassdoor

Grant Thornton Reviews

Updated April 26, 2017

US - All Cities Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Much better work life balance than big 4 firms (in 142 reviews)

• Great people that are always nice to you (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is of course difficult during the busy times/season (in 80 reviews)

• Long hours however flexible time off is helpful (in 83 reviews)

1. "They try to do right but too often fail"

Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good co-workers. Strong industry demand. Flexibility for some but inconsistent applied. Flexible time off is good concept and yet too often unfairly managed.

Cons

Out of touch leaders. Focus on political games and process instead of getting things done. Care about taking care of the 1% and not the people working hard every day to make the company profitable.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees and don't focus on taking care of primarily the partners.

"GT Review"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Melville, NY
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Melville, NY

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly people
    Modern Culture
    Fun loving
    Competitive Salaries
    Great work/life balance
    Easy summers

Cons

Accounting work
    No overtime
    Long busy season hours

3. "Great company"

Current Employee - Senior Associate - Business Advisory Services in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Small business feel with a large business structure and resources. Culture is outstanding and something that is highly regarded. Easy to reach out to partners for advice.

Cons

With the growth the partners are working towards, sometimes there is a feeling of an unorganized structure. Utilization goals are bit high.

Advice to Management

Consider reworking the utilization to include holidays that do not impact utilization.

Jan 18, 2017 – People & Culture

Thank you for sharing your experience! Our people are the secret sauce that drive the talent and creativity of the entire firm, and culture plays a HUGE role in everything we do. Sounds like we are ... More

5. "Manager"

Current Employee - Experienced Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Experienced Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small, growing, international firm that is trying to catch up with regards to services and approaches

Cons

Poor culture, poor growth in DoD and State/Local as well as a handful of other areas; High overhead including an HR culture transformation that is a waste of time; a tale of two firms - some really strong talent, but director and senior manager levels are not dynamic, innovative or very good at management

Advice to Management

Culture changes with the projects, the staff appreciation, and training -- not a banner with an organization that has performed the same cultural change techniques for the last 20 years

Jan 18, 2017 – People & Culture

Thank you for sharing your feedback, we are disappointed to hear this has been your experience. Our culture and career initiatives focus on offering our employees the resources to grow personally and ... More

"Sr. Operations and Knowledge Manager, Strategic Federal Tax Services"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Training was excellent. The people were dedicated and truly understood customer service. The culture was engaging and the work was challenging. I had the opportunity to work with many wonderful people during my stint there and made several lifelong friends.

Cons

Technology lacked the robustness to support the needs of the organization. The move to outsource aspects of technology maintenance and Knowledge Management was difficult. It caused a disconnect that required more work than anticipated.

Advice to Management

Enrich the technology to better support the employees. Acquire software that is scalable versus relying on home grown programs that is outdated.

"A Challenging Environment with Great Opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Colleagues who genuinely care and respect their fellow employees. A supportive environment founded upon deeply rooted cultural values. Countless opportunities and resources to encourage employees to focus their career in the direction that suits their lifestyle best. You quickly feel like you are welcome and at home at Grant Thornton! I can easily say I admire and aspire to be many of the leaders at this firm, at the local and national level.

Cons

Busy season hours impede upon work life balance. However, the flexible time off policy rewards employees by encouraging them to take time off during slower periods to compensate for the tough hourly demands this industry requires.

Advice to Management

Continue to accommodate the various lifestyles of the diverse GT population and provide them the support they need! Your focus on employee satisfaction is paramount, and it is CLEARR from the culture journeys.

"A good place to be a government contractor"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, fair benefits, energetic and hard-working teammates.

Cons

Didn't seem like a good place to grow a career, unless you are placed on a very large, high-visibility contract. Rewarded for revenue generation, more so than quality of client service delivered.

Advice to Management

Place more objective, non sales-related criteria into your performance management and promotion/progression constructs.

9. "Great place to start career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time

Pros

Early client exposure, open-door policy, flexible work schedule, friendly culture (although depends on team), you get what you put into it

Cons

Internal software not sophisticated compared to larger companies

10. "If you are going to be in public accounting this is the place to do it"

Current Employee - Senior Audit Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Audit Associate in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The firm has created a culture that promotes a fun, open work environment where the individual matters and has the opportunity to pursue their goals inside and outside the firm.

Cons

This is public accounting, so you can expect work weeks to exceed the usual 40.

Dec 19, 2016 – People & Culture

Awesome! It is so wonderful to hear about your positive experience at Grant Thornton. Thank you for your feedback and your enthusiasm. It sounds like we are lucky to have you at our firm!

11. "Grant Thornton"

Former Employee - Tax Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Tax Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, unlimited ("flexible") PTO, opportunity for growth

Cons

Busy work hours throughout the year

Advice to Management

More communication and transparency

Showing 1,117 of 1,211 reviews