Grant Thornton UK LLP "big 4" Reviews | Glassdoor

Grant Thornton UK LLP Employee Reviews about "big 4"

Updated Jan 8, 2020

3.7
Grant Thornton UK LLP CEO Dave Dunckley (no image)
Dave Dunckley
Pros
  • "Good work life balance (working from home dependant on team)(in 54 reviews)

• "A modern company with some of the latest technology and offer flexible working(in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • "Not promoted on merit or hard work just the usual big 4 mentality of who knows who gets ahead(in 34 reviews)

• "Work life balance difficult to maintain(in 24 reviews)

Reviews about "big 4"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Work experience"

I worked at Grant Thornton UK LLP

Pros

Great office culture where everyone looks after each other and genuinely seems to care. Good opportunities for career advancement. Paid overtime.

Cons

Pay not as good as big 4. Does get very demanding in busy season which can lead to bad work-life balance.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure as i was only here for work experience so don't know too much about the ins and outs of how the company is managed

Grant Thornton UK LLP2015-11-24
  2. "Great culture, on the way up"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Positive direction under new leadership. Friendly and inclusive culture. Seems ahead of the curve with flexible and remote working. Ambitious.

Cons

Lacks firepower of the Big 4. Dealing with legacy issues from some of the decisions from previous leadership (but being resolved slowly but surely).

Grant Thornton UK LLP2020-01-08
  3. "Not as slick as a big4"

Former Employee - Manager in London, England

I worked at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People are real unlike the big 4 More responsibility than big 4

Cons

Lack of direction at the top Lack of diversity at the top, very much an insiders club at times Long hours due

Advice to Management

1. Invest in people and train directors and partners to understand people 2. Focus on resolving huge staff turnover 3. Focus on promoting those who are not white

Grant Thornton UK LLP2019-06-13
  4. "Not the big 4"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Agile working Friendly people Much smaller than big 4, so easier to build a network

Cons

Support services/ Back office not treated that well Exception culture - not a set way of doing something/ always "an exception" for doing something differently

Advice to Management

Appreciate the talent you have. Invest in women and minorities to get more in senior roles.

Grant Thornton UK LLP2019-03-11
  5. "Too big, a cog in a big wheel"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England

I worked at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice offices, great benefits, good pay. Good perks! Good socials!

Cons

Unless you are in the “click” which if you join from outside you won’t be, you are not treated well. They have their favourites and nothing will stop that. Not promoted on merit or hard work just the usual big 4 mentality of who knows who gets ahead.

Advice to Management

Impartial appraisals and help needed within teams to ensure this happens.

Grant Thornton UK LLP2019-02-17
  6. "BRS Team - Not what is said on the tin"

I worked at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time for more than a year

Pros

Largest practice after the big 4 (in UK). Opportunities to gain quite alot of exposure

Cons

Too much focus on how much can be billed to the client rather than what we can deliver. Unrealistic budgeting and timescales for the audits put enormous pressure on staff delivering the work. Serious micromanagement (at least in my case) issues. Very vertical in structure.

Advice to Management

Please reassess your budgets as staff are scared to say they need more time thats why they dont charge the full time spent on a job. Its the negative culture you need to improve upon.

Grant Thornton UK LLP2018-11-29

"Not the best place to start your career"

Former Employee - Tax Associate in London, England

I worked at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time for more than a year

Pros

- multinational company - diversity - structured career progression (an employee would know how the next 5 years will look like for him/her)

Cons

- Wannabe "big 4" - long working hours - poor training - focuses on quantity over quality

Advice to Management

A lot needs to be worked on and improved. Appropriate processes should be put in place for training in tax team. The work gone for review comes with points such as, "select box 12 not 15", but no explanation as to why. Unfortunately, the focus is primarily on the speed at which a task is done, rather than quality. Asking managers for help is usually followed by "just do the best you can, as quickly as you can". Asking co-workers gets you responses like "just select box 24, it'll come back with review points anyways". No one seems to know what they are doing apparently,

Grant Thornton UK LLP2018-09-03
  8. "Audit"

I worked at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time

Pros

Good benefits and nice office location

Cons

Always comparing ourselves with the Big 4

Grant Thornton UK LLP2018-08-08
  9. "Much happier here than I was in Big 4"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A great working culture, strong on teamworking and collaboration. Staff are encouraged to be independent, take ownership and responsibility for work and developing their careers. Most partners are very supportive and seek to resolve any issues arising constructively rather than applying a blame culture. Very happy with work:life balance.

Cons

Pay and benefits not as good as Big 4 but that's a trade-off for a better work:life balance. I'm not a great fan of the new branding and office structure but, that's very much personal choice.

Grant Thornton UK LLP2018-01-28
  10. "Grant Thornton employee"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Reading, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are fantastic opportunities to grow and develop your career at Grant Thornton. The business is growing and means that as individuals we can grow to as people and advisors. We talk a lot about 'unlocking the potential for growth' in our clients but were certainly do what we say, by trusting employees to act autonomously to get the work done and enhance your career. Using our flexible working environments and allow individuals to seek out new opportunities in their chosen field or in other areas within Grant Thornton. Grant Thornton is big enough to have a large corporate feel but small enough that you can get to know people on a personal level across a number of offices.

Cons

We have a large international presence - this is not as good as the big 4, and so I feel that at times to service our clients, as many will have international presence, we need to ensure we have identified the correct needs of our member firms.

Advice to Management

To grow the business we need to pull our internal resources and be the best at what we do and try not to compete with the big 4 on areas where we lack the experience or expertise. By trying to compete it may damage our reputation in the long term.

Grant Thornton UK LLP2018-01-25