Grant Wood AEA Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Substitute teacher"

Pros

You can choose to work when you'd like.

Cons

The pay is very low and no employment benefits,

2. "OK"

I worked at Grant Wood AEA full-time

Pros

Loved my manager. Had a great time working with her.

Cons

The company needs better communication

3. "Go Somewhere Else"

I worked at Grant Wood AEA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits and the salary are very nice. You get a nice amount of sick days and IPERS is great. The secretaries and janitors are some of the best people there.

Cons

It seems like there are more administrators than actual workers there. Administrators only care about how they look rather than actually getting real help to schools. Nepotism and office politics rule the offices. Administrators and supervisors enjoy having meetings about nothing while showing off the best technology that schools will never possess. While you get quite a few sick days good luck using them because your administrator might override you and force you to come in to work. This happened to me and I got physically sick at a school where my administrator sent me. My administrator admonished me for that because it made her look bad. At first it'll look like a dream job with a big salary, but it's not worth the money for all the problems you'll face later.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring administrative staff. Focus on problems in schools and try to help them. Stop wasting the money given to you by the state on the latest and greatest stuff just to impress your peers at other AEAs and invest it in equipment needed for workers to actually help kids at schools.

"Mixed bag."

Current Employee - Social Worker in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Social Worker in Iowa City, IA

Pros

Good feedback from customers. Work with some of the best teachers in the nation. Work with some of the best child experts in the nation. Some of the benefits are the best. IPERS retirement system is very stable. Health insurance was top of the line. Plenty of sick leave and vacation and holiday leave. Great on site professional development speakers.

Cons

Very little money available for equipment needs, attendance at off site development or travel. Very poor management which hinds the excellent work that employees are trying to accomplish.

Advice to Management

Hire management team on basis of merit and not on the basis of politics. Get rid of management that has been found to be corrupt.

5. "Collaborative team passionate about doing what's best for our state's kids"

I have been working at Grant Wood AEA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with highly skilled professionals in fields related to education and special education services; many opportunities for professional growth and development; leadership opportunities; access to state-of-the-art technology and resources; opportunities to create systemic change in our educational systems

Cons

Limitations placed on some services due to government restrictions and special education laws; changes in state government can lead to changes within the agency