Grantham University Reviews in Kansas City, MO | Glassdoor

Kansas City, MO

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steve Waldron

Pros
  • Great people, great leadership, strong commitment to students (in 5 reviews)

• Free education for employees although you never know if degree is worth paper it's written on (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is far removed (in 4 reviews)

• Also, they will often walk investors down the call center which makes you feel like a head of cattle (in 3 reviews)

"A Mixed Bag"

Former Employee - Evaluator in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Evaluator in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Grantham University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many people in each department are great to work with. You can make some good friends here. Good benefits and normally reliable hours.

Cons

Management changes their policies constantly. Except one or two rounds of layoffs per year. Expectations are high even though things change quickly, which makes it hard to please management.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees in respective departments before you change policies and procedures. Of course, that does require valuing your employees opinions and expertise.

"Great place for a stepping stone"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Grantham University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, ability to show initiative, some good middle management, ability to pursue free education, dedicated employees

Cons

There is a large lack of company strategic plan and direction, which filters down through all the individual departments. Communication and transparency is a major issue that is not being actively addressed.

Advice to Management

Make the investment in people who have shown their value to the company through their initiative and commitment.

"Admissions Representative"

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Grantham University (More than a year)

Pros

Management depending on who they were worked with you to make sure you were successful

Cons

Became too political, also became stressful at times if you were not meeting your quota every month. Supposed to be about promoting education first sometimes it seemed only about the numbers.

Advice to Management

Be fair, not have favorites.

"No Strategic direction"

Former Employee - Associate Director, Business Intelligence in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Associate Director, Business Intelligence in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Grantham University (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great People, Great Mission. Committed to community service.

Cons

Ownership lacks vision and is focused more on short term than long term success. No stability at C-level causes confusion and lack of direction/focus. 5 CEO's, 4 CIOs, 2 CFO's, 3 Chief Marketing Officers in 5 years speaks volumes.

"Admissions rep"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Grantham University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High hourly pay, there were some cool people there, interaction with all walks of life over the phone, listening to everyday people tell their life story

Cons

The title of this job should have been make your quota or get fired! Morale was very low, upper management met with employees regularly to enforce the fact that we should not tell new applicants Grantham was not accredited. Accredation, not just national accredation is what makes a degree valid to most employers!!! My job was to call people that had either purposefully or accidentally hit a button and sent their info. to the school. And when I say call I mean harrass potential students to sign up. It was disgusting, disabled veterans, single moms, handicapped good people were targeted rather preyed upon by this greedy fake school. I hope they get put out of business!

Advice to Management

Be honest about the job during the interview process!

"Not worth it"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Grantham University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very willing to change quickly and do so very often

Cons

Very dysfunctional organization; Lacks discipline/structure; and communication within as well as outside of departments

"This place is a joke!"

Current Employee - Admissions in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Admissions in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Grantham University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've met a lot of great people here. 99% of them are not at management level.

Cons

It's worse than high school. You have no voice here and if you do you get shown the door. They want a cookie cutter employee. Aside from that, management is terrible at all levels and mainly ran as a popularity contest. There is a huge lack of trust and communication. It could be a great place to work if management was different. I would never recommend anyone to work in admissions here.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better and they will want to work for you. (specifically admissions managers) Employees are constantly in fear of being fired.

"Avoid"

Former Contractor - Adjunct in Kansas City, MO
    Former Contractor - Adjunct in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Grantham University as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am not sure about the pros with working for Grantham University. From what I have noticed, there is a lot of administrative turnover at this company, which is never good. I classify this place as a company, since they really demonstrate through their actions that they are really a "for profit" school and nothing more.

Cons

They overwork you, very little support. An adjunct instructor that has 5-10 different courses at once is not going to be very effective managing them.

At Grantham, it is all about the bottom line and student retention. They really give "for profit" schools a bad name

Advice to Management

Increase your standards. If you are really out to help students gain knowledge with a valuable degree, prove it.

"Turnover is extensive and senior management remains aloof to issue affecting employees"

Former Employee - Instructor in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Instructor in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Grantham University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers are excellent and helpful

Cons

Senior management is very poor. Tremendous turnover and firings predominate this institution. Everyone is an at will employee with no due process rights found in other institutions of higher learning.

"Wonderful work environment"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Grantham University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Challenging, friendly, and outgoing co-workers made going to work daily both enjoyable and an adventure.

Cons

Lack of communication from the administrative office to the IT team caused many problems and unnecessary challenges to my team and our entire group.