Grantham University Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steve Waldron

Pros
  • Great people, great leadership, strong commitment to students (in 5 reviews)

• Free education for employees although you never know if degree is worth paper it's written on (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is far removed (in 4 reviews)

• Also, they will often walk investors down the call center which makes you feel like a head of cattle (in 3 reviews)

1. "Love my job!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Grantham University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is my first job out of college and I couldn't have asked for a better experience! I've gotten along with my coworkers and I really enjoy all of the different activities that are planned on a regular basis. As a newer in employee, I feel that everyone around me has been willing to help whenever necessary. I believe the pay is adequate, as least for my position. Great place to start my career in higher education!

Cons

The only con that I would note is that policies are constantly changing. The issue with that is when a policy is changed, it needs to be communicated to the employees it's going to affect. Sometimes I feel that that doesn't happen.

Also, a lot of my position relies on other departments to process students through and sometimes, that doesn't happen. That's kind of a vague statement but I don't want to go too in depth about it.

Advice to Management

Continue celebrating and motivating your employees!

2. "Current Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Grantham University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Grantham has been a fairly good place to work over the years. I've been there for 10 years.

Cons

If you do poorly but do your job the way you should and it's out of your hands you still get punished for it.

Advice to Management

Work a little closely with employees who struggle.

3. "You may not think it is, but it do"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Merriam, KS
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Merriam, KS

I have been working at Grantham University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learn many technologies
    Get a Degree and Books free of charge for self and Free degree for close family
    *multiple apps per developer, variety

Cons

Some legacy code and architecture that needs gutted and replaced
    *multiple apps per developer, hard to keep knowledge growing

Advice to Management

Continue to plan strategically to reduce portfolio of custom development, make strategic partners in software vendors, invest in following ITIL and Agile best practices and invest in tenure of staff and knowledge management to reduce knowledge loss. All existing plans/roadmap that take time.

"A Mixed Bag"

Former Employee - Evaluator in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Evaluator in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Grantham University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many people in each department are great to work with. You can make some good friends here. Good benefits and normally reliable hours.

Cons

Management changes their policies constantly. Except one or two rounds of layoffs per year. Expectations are high even though things change quickly, which makes it hard to please management.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees in respective departments before you change policies and procedures. Of course, that does require valuing your employees opinions and expertise.

"Do not trust positive reviews - they are posted by HR"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Grantham University full-time

Pros

The people I worked with are awesome and have bright futures ahead of them, though I would doubt it would be with Grantham University. There really are no pros about working at this awful company, and I only post this to warn others not to waste their time. Just move on to another job posting.

Cons

Grantham University is poorly run. It is a privately held company and the owners clearly have no vision for the university. Actually, to say this place is a university is a joke. They have no regional accreditation and the credits earned there will not transfer to any other legitimate school if a student decides Grantham is not for them. There is a culture of competition among the management, as they know that the smallest flaw will have them being shown the door, therefor, employees are regularly scapegoated by managers as they look to cover their own butts. If you are looking for a job in IT, this is not the place to get it. Save yourself time and look elsewhere, especially if you are a software developer. The manger is a little weasel and cannot be trusted at all. In fact, if you interview with him and his team, just be prepared for a "gotcha" interview in which they will try to make things as hard for you as possible. I always wondered why they got so much joy out of that... Additionally, if you decide to come to this waste of a business as a software dev, you'll have fun, developing software that will put people out of their jobs, because downsizing is all this place is about. They won't even provide paper cups for coffee or water in the break rooms because they have gone "green". Doesn't sound like a stable company to me. Anyway, Grantham has a well documented history of discrimination as you will see in other reviews about this "school". I remember a time when the president of the "school" said in a company meeting that he would like to know who is Native American. Some raised their hands and then he proceeded to ask them to do a rain dance because it had been so dry. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. If you are any race other than white, or gay, pass on this joke of a "school". There are better opportunities out there and I found mine. You can too!

Advice to Management

Just quit. You are all incompetent fools.

"Great place for a stepping stone"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Grantham University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, ability to show initiative, some good middle management, ability to pursue free education, dedicated employees

Cons

There is a large lack of company strategic plan and direction, which filters down through all the individual departments. Communication and transparency is a major issue that is not being actively addressed.

Advice to Management

Make the investment in people who have shown their value to the company through their initiative and commitment.

"Admissions Representative"

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Grantham University (More than a year)

Pros

Management depending on who they were worked with you to make sure you were successful

Cons

Became too political, also became stressful at times if you were not meeting your quota every month. Supposed to be about promoting education first sometimes it seemed only about the numbers.

Advice to Management

Be fair, not have favorites.

"No Strategic direction"

Former Employee - Associate Director, Business Intelligence in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Associate Director, Business Intelligence in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Grantham University (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great People, Great Mission. Committed to community service.

Cons

Ownership lacks vision and is focused more on short term than long term success. No stability at C-level causes confusion and lack of direction/focus. 5 CEO's, 4 CIOs, 2 CFO's, 3 Chief Marketing Officers in 5 years speaks volumes.

"Overall not a bad place to work"

Former Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Lenexa, KS

Pros

Work hard, help students get their degree and feel rewarded. Never a dull moment in the education industry. They have a lot of events for the employees. Have an awesome group of employees who work there.

Cons

It is a very unstable place. They do not honor what they say. Make promises and then never deliver on them. Very disappointing.

Advice to Management

Your word is your bond. Honor it. Look at who you have in place, is it a favor or is the person actually qualified to manage the staff and perform the tasks assigned.

"Abusive Dishonest Money Juvenile Environment"

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Lenexa, KS

Pros

Front line coworkers and some middle management are really wonderful people who care.

Cons

Management is always looking for a quick fix. Whiplash policy changes which are rarely in favor of students and employees. Human resource staff is either ignorant of employment laws or pretends to be. This leads to cases of hostile work environment, FMLA violations, ADA violations and situations where employees have banded together in class action lawsuits for things like time card tampering/being told to work unpaid or unreported overtime. Questioning the bad information you are given almost always leads to retaliation in the form of having your schedule changed, wrote ups, etc. Many have complained about sexual advances made by senior leadership. Those that do go to h.r. regarding these issues are usually dismissed within a month.

Advice to Management

You have cleaned house organization wide multiple times. This always involves front line workers and middle management. Maybe it is time to bring in new upper level management instead of continuing to correct your budgeting and policy errors by firing in mass.