Granular Reviews | Glassdoor

Granular Reviews

Updated Jan 8, 2020

4.5
Granular Co-Founder and CEO Sid Gorham (no image)
Sid Gorham

"Neat opportunity. Great team."

Current Employee - Senior Product Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Granular full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Amazingly kind and smart people. - Neat mission, with the ability to make an impact directly to farmers. - Super close relationship with their customers. - Willing to take the time to understand what's best for the users, and invest in that.

Cons

- A lot changing (also a pro) from the org level. Can lead to a shaky ground at times, or uncertain outlook. - Energy & focus can be lacking at times.

Advice to Management

- Focus, focus, focus. There is always a cost to doing several things. Understand which things you truly want to invest in from a product side, and focus solely on those things. - Keep doing a great job being transparent and listening for feedback from employees.

Granular2019-02-15

"Great Company & Culture"

I have been working at Granular full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great team & benefits Wonderful work/life balance Culture is truly one of a kind! Couldn’t say better things about it.

Cons

None at the moment.

Granular2019-01-19

"Lots of opportunity here; yours for the taking"

Current Employee - People Ops in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Granular full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Great place to get to do a lot! Roles are defined but there is always the opportunity to take on more if you want; you just need to raise your hand. -L&D manager and budget in place to help you learn and grow on the job -Egalitarian culture: everyone jumps in and does what needs to be done. -Gorgeous offices: each one gets better and better. -Generous benefits including matching 401K (rare!) -Focus is on the right things: values, product, customers -Offices in 4 locations across the country make for a great mix of people and experience

Cons

- Given acquisition last year, no stock options . Flip side: financial stability - Product vision is a work in progress so you need to be ok with ambiguity in some areas

Advice to Management

-Continue to fine tune and communicate the product roadmap -Continue to provide lots of opportunity to people; it keeps it super interesting!

Granular2018-12-17

"Such an inspiring group of people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Granular full-time for more than a year

Pros

Granular is a very special place to work. The people truly make it a great company, and then in addition to that we are working on something truly meaningful. Lots of collaboration amongst a very smart, motivated group. Definitely fulfilling knowing you are having a real impact on the world.

Cons

Not always a clear career path, but the team is working on it. Also, would like more education around the industry.

Granular2018-12-13

"Engineer - IA Office"

Current Employee - Engineer in Johnston, IA

I have been working at Granular full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Exciting business with a great direction. Excellent open offices at all locations, especially brand new one in IA!!! World class engineering experience building cloud native applications. Great culture with high transparency.

Cons

Still somewhat fractured architecture around products. However the leadership is putting the dollars down to make all products on one platform. Also not enough product managers. Please we need you apply!!

Advice to Management

Continue the culture. Hire more PMs.

Granular2018-12-13

"Thankful that I get to work here every day."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Johnston, IA

I have been working at Granular full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employees are working on a product that is innovative and impacts customers in their local markets and on a global scale, which truly makes time spent at work meaningful. The people here are incredibly intelligent in so many different areas - agriculture, product, software, customer experience, people ops and more - literally so much knowledge in this company that we all can learn from no matter what role we are in. Leadership is transparent, communicates regularly and thoroughly, and trusts their people. Professional development is a focus at all levels. Dedicated L&D resources and planning for all employees. It's not just talked about; leaders and others want to help you get to where you want to be and provide opportunity to help with that. Office space is full of natural light, plenty of comfortable break out areas to work independently or in small or large groups, game rooms, and a kitchen stocked with tons of healthy snacks, treats, and large variety of beverages. Casual dress code! Pet friendly offices! Flexibility to work from home when needed and/or the hours that work best for you. Benefits are very competitive. Med/dental/vision pricing is very reasonable with several options to choose from. Flexible Time Off policy, and many holidays observed. Maternity & Paternity leaves are generous. 401K program is great.

Cons

Change is constant here, but if you're comfortable with that and can embrace and understand why changes happen, you'll be fine.

Granular2018-12-12
  7. "Sales Development Representative"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Granular full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great young team to work with direct and close connection to the Account Executives that act as your mentors.

Cons

Be ready for a challenge and maintain flexibility in your approach to prospects.

Granular2018-12-10
  8. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Granular full-time for more than a year

Pros

When I last looked for a company, I was tired of the San Francisco churn machine. I was looking for a place that I could land and feel good about staying for a long time. That place is Granular. The company culture, benefits, FTO, are all icing on the cake.

Cons

Agriculture can be tough and very seasonal. The company does an ok job today of molding deliverables and quotas to this. There has been some effort to dial it in.

Advice to Management

I think that the company would benefit greatly from a layer of front-line managers that focus solely on their individual teams.

Granular2018-12-10
  9. "Happy Marriage of Agriculture and Software"

Current Employee - Content Marketing Manager in Johnston, IA

I have been working at Granular full-time for less than a year

Pros

Aside from the fun perks that are pretty much the norm at software companies these days (free food, casual dress policies), a huge pro of working at Granular is the "quality of life" benefits like working with ag peeps (they are a special kind of people), unlimited vacation, flexible work from home policy, and dog-friendly & beautiful open-concept offices. On a more serious note, I also appreciate that Granular's leadership is very transparent and strategic. It's rare, from my experience, that a corporate strategy is so well communicated and that the work that I do personally aligns so clearly with that strategy. I also appreciate how nimble the organization is and that hard work is rewarded with recognition and promotions.

Cons

There isn't much I can say here, aside from a warning to individuals that don't like change: one of the aspects of a nimble & growing organization is that strategy and projects can pivot and change on short notice. If you're looking for a workplace where the status quo prevails, this probably won't be a good fit for you.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the transparency of our company strategy and decision-making. I love the OKRs and feel like they make me even more productive and aligned to our company objectives. Would love to see an employee benefit for student loan repayments (not just refinancing) but that's just splitting hairs! :)

Granular2018-12-07
  10. "Excellent Culture"

I have been working at Granular full-time

Pros

Excellent culture and team environment

Cons

Quick moving processes across different teams

Granular2018-12-05