Grassroots Campaigns Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Grassroots Campaigns President Douglas H Phelps
Douglas H Phelps

Pros
  • Great non-profit organization clientele; the ability to learn a lot in a short amount of time; meeting diverse groups of people from all walks of life (in 12 reviews)

• Meet interesting people, work on good causes (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, people move in and out of the job very often (in 37 reviews)

• little separation between personal and professional life and no work/life balance leads to sticky HR situations too often (in 13 reviews)

1. "Fun, exhausting, meaningful work."

Current Employee - Field Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Field Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Grassroots Campaigns full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This office has some of the most interesting, thoughtful, fun people I've ever met. I could not have made a better group of friends if I had tried. The potential wage is surprisingly high. Sometimes I take home $1000 for a two week pay period if I keep my numbers up canvassing.

Cons

Pay fluctuates greatly based on performance, and no matter how good you are you have those rough days. And while the folks running the office genuinely care about you, you can feel disposable by corporate.

Advice to Management

Consider employees less disposable, as some of us want to stick around and succeed with the company. It is disheartening to know that I am paid more than my bosses, and that corporate would be fine with me quitting at any moment.

2. "Assistant Canvass Director"

I have been working at Grassroots Campaigns full-time

Pros

You get a lot of responsibility right out of college; you're running your own campaign office. You learn budgeting, mastering Excel, public speaking, social media outreach, staff development, fundraising, training, etc.

Cons

Work/Life balance is non-existent. You work far more than most entry-level positions (especially during campaign seasons) and don't get paid fair compensation.

Advice to Management

Pay your directors and assistant directors a fair wage for the amount of hours of work they pour into the organization. They want to do the work, but oftentimes have to leave because they can't sustain themselves on the amount of money they're receiving. Also work on time management with CDs so they aren't holding their staff in the office for 10-12 hours a day when they could get the same work done in 8-9 hours a day.

3. "Working for Progress"

Former Employee - Field Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Field Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Grassroots Campaigns full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Diversity, positivity, and a sense of comraderie. Working for progressive goals. Lots of exercise, not a stagnant desk job. Met and worked with some wonderful people. Great coaching from my supervisor.

Cons

Sometimes felt like the goals were very demanding. Very physically demanding. Tools/equipment often broken, slow or lacking.

5. "Love it!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Grassroots Campaigns part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are amazing. The stories you hear while canvasing are some of the most inspiring stories ever. The people you meet are just amazing and the things you learn too. Just...this has been such an awesome experience for me.

Cons

They need to organize a little better. People can be mean spirited and hateful.

6. "Get lit at grassroots"

Pros

you get to work outside so there's always different places you get to go and different people that you get too see as opposed to being confined within the same work space everyday. you are allowed to wear whatever you wish that makes you beautiful, so you don't have to wear the same boring thing everyday. you also get to express your passion for the work that the campaigns are doing and feeding the passion into the rest of the public so that you can personally see the change come from within yourself.
    you get to pick your own schedule.

Cons

it gets super hot in Sacramento so make sure you have water.and an umbrella.

7. "Summer Canvasser"

Former Employee - Canvasser in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Canvasser in Washington, DC

I worked at Grassroots Campaigns part-time

Pros

The progressive and important causes it helps

Cons

Some managerial disorganization; there was a change of local director and the transition was not too smooth

8. "Assistant Director"

I worked at Grassroots Campaigns full-time

Pros

Great people for the most part; fun, relaxed office environment; really felt like I was engaging with real issues and able to make a difference.

Cons

Disorganized hiring process, very low salary with ridiculous working hours (~$26,000 a year at 14-16 hours a day, 7 days a week), location/legal issues met with "just fix them" attitude and pressure for results rather than actual assistance. Reported a coworker for sexual harassment only to hear he was promoted later that month.

Advice to Management

Happy employees lead to happy results and idealism can only make me happy for so long.

9. "great for highschoolers. terrible for people who want to make a living."

Current Employee - Field Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Field Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Grassroots Campaigns full-time (More than a year)

Pros

all of your friends will work here. your boss will be your friend. who needs friends when you have your job!
    social justice warriors who believe they're actually making a change to the extreme. great for a laugh, if you like feeling dead on the inside.
    if you can make 500 every single day for next 2 years and not develop an anxiety problem, go for it.

Cons

it's wage theft at it's most basic. the owners of the company get paid per head they send out for each 4.5 hours. you as a canvasser get pressured to make enough money to cover what the non-profit pays the corporation for your time, and to constantly bring in new heads while usally making the lowest minimum wage they can pay you.
    none of the money you make ever really goes back to the non-profit. it goes to them, and they give it right back to grassroots. grassroots is for profit, so you better believe they wil milk all they can out of you- expect to do a ton of extra work that you will never be compensated for.
    Your hours are tracked by what you write down on a sheet of paper that you turn into the office director. Hours are frequently modified to be lower using white-out.
    Highschool like environment- literal words uttered by my boss "Professionalism is oppressive, so we try to make this office a comfortable place instead."

Advice to Management

you know you're exploiting the labor of those under you. if you really are for social justice, step up and make sure your employees get compensated correctly for the time they put in.

10. "Miss it there!"

Former Employee - Canvasser/Field Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Canvasser/Field Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Grassroots Campaigns part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great sense of community, amazing staff, positive environment, easy to make decent money with bonuses

Cons

Tiring, not a great place for introverts, quick turnaround with employees

Advice to Management

Keep building up your staff!

11. "Don't do it"

I worked at Grassroots Campaigns part-time

Pros

If you're into Social Justice, and naturally good at convincing people to cough up money, this might be okay, especially if you really need some money quickly and don't need a permanent gig.

Cons

Honestly most of the negatives have already been said. They're pretty disorganized, ask you to do almost unreasonable things you've barely been trained for, mislead you about what you're expected to do, and how easy/difficult it is.

Advice to Management

Actually train canvassers. Don't mislead people about what they're being asked to do.