Grassroots Campaigns Reviews | Glassdoor

Grassroots Campaigns Reviews

Updated April 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great non-profit organization clientele; the ability to learn a lot in a short amount of time; meeting diverse groups of people from all walks of life (in 12 reviews)

• Great people-lots of new employees that come in and keep the environment fresh (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, people move in and out of the job very often (in 37 reviews)

• Work/Life balance is non-existent (in 14 reviews)

1. "Unstable"

Former Employee - Field Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Field Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Grassroots Campaigns full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was able to work with some truly amazing people towards a cause I felt strongly about.

Cons

Because of rigid quota requirements, there is ZERO job security.

Advice to Management

Treat your directors better and give them reasonable hours/increased pay. They work too hard for what they are paid.

2. "OK if you need some money, watch for quick turnover"

Former Employee - Field Canvasser in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Field Canvasser in Washington, DC

I worked at Grassroots Campaigns part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool people, pays fairly well

Cons

Hard job, hard quota, quick turnover rate

Advice to Management

Streamline training

3. "Great Job for the Adventurous Souls"

Former Employee - Field Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Field Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Grassroots Campaigns part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A great place to work as a canvasser if you want to talk to people from the area and see different parts of the city. Company has good core values and mission.

Cons

Canvassing can affect your emotional and mental wellbeing. This could be in a positive or in a negative way depending on the people that you talk to when you are canvassing.

5. "Unprofessional, not organized, and terrible employers"

Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Grassroots Campaigns part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The amount earned was a great.

Cons

The company lost my W9 form and emailed me demanding for me to send my SSN through an unsecured email sever. Very unapologetic about losing sensitive information. I spoke with the employee and supervisor who only provided me one sentence responses and we very difficult to deal with.

Advice to Management

Make sure 1099 forms are sent on time to avoid penalties. Teach your employees customer service and how to connect and speak properly to other employees.

6. "Assistant Canvassing Director"

Former Employee - ASSISTANT CANVASSING DIRECTOR in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - ASSISTANT CANVASSING DIRECTOR in Washington, DC

I worked at Grassroots Campaigns (Less than a year)

Pros

Located in Dupont Circle.

People are fun

Cons

They make you stay after hours and work into the night. If you don't make 140 in a day they fire you as a canvasser and as a director if you don't make 200 per week you get fired.

They use scripts for canvassing and do not educate staff on the canvassing companies.

They canvas strictly for money, not to educate.

Canvassers make more than directors

Advice to Management

Pay people.

"The Absolute Worst Job I have ever had"

Former Employee - Assistant Canvass Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Canvass Director in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Grassroots Campaigns full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good experience, working for good causes, met some good people.

Cons

Whew! Where do I begin? First of all, they pay you the absolute lowest amount that they can get away with doing so legally. This is made worse by the fact that you are expected to work no less than 60 hours a week(including unpaid weekends.). On top of that,because no one stays in this job long, your main canvass director will likely have only a month or two more experience than you. As a result, there is never a stable office culture. Additionally, they lie to lure people in. This did not happen to me personally but several other directors said that they were told that they would only canvass a few times a month but, in actuality, you canvass FIVE DAYS A WEEK starting out in addition to being expected to learn how to perform office tasks and have a work day waiting on you when you get back from the field.
    In addition to the general day to day madness, the central office is SUPER shady. They had a number of campaign offices across the metro area during the presidential election. After those projects wrapped, they were super late paying canvassers and many of them were, rightfully, very frustrated. What made this a problem for us was once these offices shut down, the main office was the only GCI presence in the city so we had people calling and cursing us out daily in addition to two people who stopped by and tried to force their way into the office. When made aware of this, central acted like they had no idea why these people were upset and brushed our concerns for our own SAFETY off. Nothing mattered but their bottom line. Also, I never even got an official training. I was scheduled to go to DC for it but it was cancelled without explanation. This is especially crazy given all that they expect from directors.
    While GCI markets itself as a "progressive" organization, it looks just like any other corporate entity--run by cis, straight white males. The only difference is they have ponytails and wear jeans and t-shirts to work. The organization is also a perfect example of liberal racism. When I was let go, they literally called all the white people and gave them the opportunity to relocate and when they couldn't(which I don't blame them for choosing not to as it wasn't being paid for), they fired they other black guy and myself--giving very bogus reasons. This has also happened in another office, to my knowledge--where they had to downsize and let go of the black people. In addition to this, the racism was apparent in the ways in which other directors(towards the end of my tenure) in the office spoke about white canvassers(everyone was always such a "nice guy") versus black canvassers(always accused of being anger and never experiencing empathy even if they had legitimate reasons for not being at work). I concede that GCI is good on issues of gender and sexuality but they need to admit that they have a race problem.
    Finally, they will lead people to believe that they are a non-profit with talk about "training activists" and "educating the public". However, GCI is a FOR PROFIT organization hired by non-profits to fund raise. Nothing inherently wrong with that. However, they need to quit using that as an excuse to pay people low amounts and grossly under-fund offices.

Advice to Management

Hire more people at central.

Show more of a concern for your employee's well-being.

Address your race problem.

Stop using idealism and desire to do good to take advantage of people.

Be honest about what you are and what your purpose is.

"A farce and insult to real grassroots organizing"

Former Employee - Field Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Field Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Grassroots Campaigns full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work on progressive causes, flexible scheduling, awesome coworkers. feel more fulfilled selling one's labor than at other wage jobs.

Cons

awful management, feels very corporate. does not care about people actually doing the fundraising. change of management in Los Angeles office led to massive flight of employees, yet bad management remains there. Illegal denial of paid voting time.

Advice to Management

Raise wages for long time canvassers, get rid of bad directors, hire directors that respect their employees. Get administrative crap together.

"Good people but Bad company"

Former Employee - Assistant Director in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Director in Richmond, VA

I worked at Grassroots Campaigns full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You work with great people and feel great doing your job at times.
    The experience in high pressure situations is great for your future.

Cons

Its horribly ran from the top and no compassion really for the employers unless you are near the top.
    Elitist who do not relate to the people who they employ.
    They LIE IN THE INTERVIEW ABOUT EVERYTHING.
    I was told my housing was going to be payed for, but that was false. the pay does not reflect the living arrangements in most cities.

Advice to Management

Spend more time with people you employ, so you can provide adequate working arrangements. Remember where you came from and why you are doing the work you are doing. If you are pushing for equality in the world and fair treatment, then you should lead by example.

10. "Great company with the serious logistics and communication issues."

Current Employee - Assistant Canvass Director in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Canvass Director in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Grassroots Campaigns full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's a lot of offices nationwide… And a lot of opportunities with in this company. And they seem generally passionate about the campaigns/causes... but I don't think it's reflected in how their head to their company or the logistics side of things.

Cons

Communication is very important. I don't know how much they understand this. It seems like accountability is a real issue…

Advice to Management

Put your employees before your stress… If you make a mistake and that causes someone some stress why not fix it… One thing I can tell with this company… After they make a mistake it until you were going to fix it… It takes them a while to get around to it. They aren't going to overstretch themselves with fixing the problem. You guys need to put your employees first… You guys need to stop making excuses for corporate/head office mistakes.

11. "Useful Experience"

Former Employee - Canvasser in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Canvasser in Denver, CO

Pros

Work with an eclectic group of people from all walks of life. Feel like you're doing something worth-while. Gain experience talking to people about important issues and handling personal information carefully and professionally.

Cons

Sometimes you get rude, ignorant people verbally abusing you on the street for fundraising on behalf of certain organizations. Quota is hard to make sometimes. If you fall short two weeks in a row, you're let go.

Advice to Management

Give more precise training to ensure canvassers stand a chance getting supporters and know how to deal with difficult people verbally harassing them.