Gray Plant Mooty Reviews | Glassdoor

Gray Plant Mooty Reviews

Found 8 reviews

3.7
David Bahls
  1. "Terrific place to work!"

I have been working at Gray Plant Mooty full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

The people here are great. The firm really makes the effort to stay true its collaborative, respectful firm culture, which has been in place for decades. It's fun to work with really smart people in a collaborative environment.

Cons

This may or may not be a con. As is common with law firms, there isn't a lot of hierarchy. For non-attorney positions, you may stay in the same position for awhile before advancement.

Gray Plant Mooty2017-04-03
  2. "Pick your department wisely"

I worked at Gray Plant Mooty full-time

Pros

Great attorneys, solid legacy in Minnesota and worldwide in franchise law.

Cons

Marketing and human resources struggle with leadership. Both teams are led by people who lack empathy and believe control, not collaboration, is what it means to be a leader. There is staggering turnover in marketing (terminations and resignations) and the departmental culture is not representative of what the firm stands for.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look in to marketing and HR. They have worked very hard to insulate you from the dysfunction and culture of fearing for one's job in their teams.

Gray Plant Mooty2016-08-19
  3. "Outstanding people and well run firm."

Current Employee - Lawyer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Gray Plant Mooty full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

There is a strong sense of collegiality and people genuinely like each other. Health Care, Franchise, Estate Planning, and Employee Benefits are particularly strong practice areas.

Cons

Sometimes the firm is too slow to seize opportunities. While the firm is generally transparent, some decisions are made in a black box.

Advice to Management

Stay the course--firm profitability is on a strong upward trajectory and the firm's dedication to maintaining its strong culture should remain a top priority.

Gray Plant Mooty2014-10-24
  4. "Great people, great place to work"

I have been working at Gray Plant Mooty full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Respectful work environment, talented attorneys, room to grow

Cons

Some practice groups can be more challenging than others.

Gray Plant Mooty2013-08-15

"They talk the talk but don't walk it"

I worked at Gray Plant Mooty full-time

Pros

Great training opportunities! Lots of nice people who have been with the firm for a very long time. Beautiful facilities.

Cons

The firm likes to think it has a great work/life balance but it's more for show than reality. Attorneys are treated very differently from staff even though they like to think that is not true. HR department is very "clicky" - if they like you (regardless of how well you do your job) you will be reviewed and compensated well, but if you are not in the "in" group with them, watch out! HR seeks input from attorneys and...

Advice to Management

Put more emphasis on how you treat the staff. It's not all about the attorneys.

Gray Plant Mooty2013-06-25
    • "Great pay and benefits, stiff group of people."

Current Employee - Attorney, 1st-Year in Saint Cloud, MN

I have been working at Gray Plant Mooty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice and supportive superiors that are willing to help young attorneys learn. Great resources, great pay - even at satellite offices.

Cons

If you don't work in the Minneapolis office, be expected to be regarded as the red headed step child of the firm. Don't expect to be treated like you exist during video conferences unless you speak up frequently.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of describing your expectations to new attorneys.

Gray Plant Mooty2012-10-03

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Legal Administrative Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Gray Plant Mooty

Pros

The firm focuses on diversity and a good work/life balance. While I know others around me were unhappy with the management, I never had a problem with communication, workload, and being treated well. I felt like I was recognized for my hard work and when I expressed an interest in going to law school, many of the attorneys I supported and worked with were very helpful in giving me projects that an LAA wouldn't normally...

Cons

Many of the LAAs have been with the firm for upwards of 10 and 20 years. While most are very nice and welcoming, some were catty, and insantly suspicious of newcomers. Some LAAs also refused to change their practices to conform with the changes in technology, making things difficult and complicated.

Advice to Management

Continue to reward those who go above and beyond and do their jobs well.

Gray Plant Mooty2012-04-04
    • "My experience at GPM has been beneficial in terms of learning new skills and continued knowledge of the law."

Current Employee - Legal Administrative Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Gray Plant Mooty

Pros

In general, the employees there are nice and helpful. The firm has up-to-date technology that includes copiers, scanners, and software. The firm stresses the importance in keeping up your skills through various computers classes provided.

Cons

The firm has become less flexible in the work hours for its staff. This was due to the layoffs of some of the legal assistants while the remaining legal assistants had to absorb their attorneys. The annual reviews are somewhat unfair. Supervisors tend to "twist" the words from the attorneys in order to find fault, therefore, less percentage in raises.

Advice to Management

Management needs to make attorneys accountable in their lack of time management. It seems like management is 'suggesting' that the attorneys meet various deadlines, but there is no disciplinary action if the attorney fails to do so.

Gray Plant Mooty2011-06-24