Gray Television Reporter Reviews | Glassdoor

Gray Television Reporter Reviews

Found 7 reviews

1.1
Gray Television CEO Hilton H. Howell, Jr.
Hilton H. Howell, Jr.
  1. "Great first job, I learned a lot."

Former Employee - Reporter in Grand Junction, CO

I worked at Gray Television full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast paced work environment. Tons of experience; writing, editing, producing, and on camera.

Cons

Long hours, you often work over-time but your are not allowed to take overtime pay. Low salary.

Advice to Management

Increase salary and allow reporters to get paid for the overtime that is often required to re-write stories for multiple shows as well as the web.

Gray Television2015-01-24

"AVOID"

I worked at Gray Television full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

The local people are passionate and hardworking. And Gray takes full advantage of that.

Cons

I went through a merger to Gray. It was handled terribly. Everyone lost time off they were promised they wouldn't lose. 0 clear answers for months. "HR" consisted of a generic email address. Paid hourly, yet expected to check email and find stories off the clock. If you tried to report time you worked from home (no physical time clock) you would get in trouble. My time cards were modified multiple times by corporate...

Advice to Management

Stop having 1 or 2 managers in a market be the "gatekeepers" to corporate. Create a hierarchy that helps support and connect employees from all markets. Gas lighting is a real thing. Trying to make your employees doubt their own memory/sanity is not okay. If you work for Gray, document EVERY promise made to you. It will help you keep your sanity later. Also, stop asking for a college degree if you pay $10/hr.

Gray Television2018-11-16

"Would not recommend"

Former Employee - News Reporter in South Bend, IN

I worked at Gray Television full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

I worked at WNDU -- a local station in South Bend, Ind. owned by Gray Television. The local employees are great -- there are veteran anchors, photographers, and reporters there who can help you grow as a journalist.

Cons

Not a lot of concern for employee happiness or retention. Salary is terrible, especially for newer employees. They pay less and less for the same position, but expect more content.

Advice to Management

Realize that employees are your most important investment -- pay them accordingly.

Gray Television2017-01-30
  4. "Get your experience and get out"

Current Employee - Anchor/Reporter in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Gray Television full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Willing to hire people right out of college. Great opportunities to try new things in broadcasting. Access to some of the latest technology in news information gathering.

Cons

Extremely low pay. Constantly increasing work load expectations without increasing pay. Cheap. Never willing to fix or replace broken equipment without making a huge fuss. Very little vacation time.... did I mention the extremely low pay?

Advice to Management

Management doesn't care about the wants and needs of their employees, because if you make too much of a fuss, they will get rid of you and hire somebody for cheaper. My advice to management would be, how about starting people off with a living wage? This is why you keep on losing reporters and anchors to other stations. Of course why do you care? All you care about is your bottom line. My advice to people considering...

Gray Television2016-12-23

"Hard work, good experience"

I worked at Gray Television full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

I was a reporter at one of Gray's entry-level, small stations. Once you get benefits after the first 90 days they are amazing. The management at my station was very smart and supportive. Good company culture.

Cons

Low pay. Long hours. Working holidays. One-man-banding all my stories. But that's media nowadays.

Advice to Management

Stop updating the editing systems every year and hire some photogs.

Gray Television2014-06-21
  6. "Good experience for a first job. Company likes to pinch pennies."

Current Employee - Reporter

I have been working at Gray Television full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Company is making investments in new equipment, new sets and there is a bonus at the end of the year most times.

Cons

Company is very penny pinchy when it comes to overtime and certain expenses. They really forbid overtime. Rollouts of new things always get delayed. Employee salaries very low. No vacation for first year.

Advice to Management

Make some investments in your employees when it comes to vacation time in the first year, easing up on OT, and making sure stations have working stuff.

Gray Television2014-02-15

"don't work for gray television, if you have other options"

I worked at Gray Television

Pros

if you really have no other options for a job in television news, then it is a good place to work.

Cons

very outdated equipment, terrible managment, terrible salaries

Advice to Management

managment needs to research the changes and advances in technology in broadcasting within the last ten years. technology, equipment and even terminology is extremely outdated.

Gray Television2009-08-11