Gray Television Reviews | Glassdoor

Gray Television Reviews

Updated August 9, 2017

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Gray Television Vice Chairman, CEO and Director Hilton H. Howell, Jr.
Hilton H. Howell, Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Easy going work environment and friendly (in 4 reviews)

• There are some great people to work with who truly make coming to work everyday enjoyable (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay-Most journalists have a second job outside of the station to make ends meet (in 8 reviews)

• Long hours, you often work over-time but your are not allowed to take overtime pay (in 4 reviews)

1. "Growing company"

Current Employee - Executive Producer
    Current Employee - Executive Producer

I have been working at Gray Television full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gray is one of the better media giants. We get upgraded gear, benefits are good, pto rolls over, managed local with regional oversight. Lots of room for growth

Cons

Managed local so, hope you have a good GM at the station. Intranet system is hard to use but pushed heavily by corporate. Corporate is slow to respond

Advice to Management

Corporate mandates are hard to utilize. It would be nice if prepackaged promos were sent to smaller affiliates

2. "Middle of the road"

I worked at Gray Television full-time

Pros

Not too much corporate oversight or interference in day to day news gathering

Cons

Lack of interest in station, subpar management, not a lot of investment in equipment or personnel

Advice to Management

Train people better

"Run away as fast as you can"

Former Employee - News Producer in Waco, TX
    Former Employee - News Producer in Waco, TX

I worked at Gray Television full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Literally none. There were none.

Cons

They worked producers to death. Literally 55 hours a week, every week, without overtime pay. We never took lunch, comp days, holidays, vacation days, etc. because there was too much work. Anchors were total divas. Worse than a sweatshop.

Advice to Management

Treat your producers like humans.

"TV Programmer (Tallahassee)"

Former Employee - Traffic Hub in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Traffic Hub in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Gray Television full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Honestly the only pro is that Gray Television in Tallahassee FL is one of the few office jobs for people with limited skill sets.

Cons

Where do I begin. I worked for 3 years at the Tallahassee traffic hub. Here's what I observed and experienced:

Highly nepotistic management - the entire 3 years I worked there, my managers were all either friends who spent cigarette breaks together. In addition, when a office manager left and his position was vacant, the job was given directly to a man who had spent a month in jail for domestic abuse...but he got the position because his family is related to the company.

Racist/Ignorant environment - I was the subject of frequent racial harassment, and as a result was fired for bringing it up to management. The employee who made the cash ignorant remarks, as far as I'm aware is still rotting away in that traffic hub. Regardless, it just shows that because he was a preferred employee, he received no punishment for his offensive remarks. In addition, the hub is filled with ignorant southerners who feel no need to filter their work dialogue and opinions. Be prepared to hear lots of ignorant and offensive opinions from a group of workers who are, on average, rather ignorant.

My immediate supervisor, who clearly had personal connections to keep her position, was clearly on sedatives all day and was very under qualified to serve in any management role.

The general negative attitude - the workplace, employees and management all had an overwhelming sense of pessimism. There was constant references to being "in the trenches" and "at the bottom of the hill", with no hope of escape. If you were older, you were bitter and felt like life was over. If you're young, you will soon have your dreams crushed and have coworkers literally despise you for "being a millenial" most of my experiences with people here were terrible.

My advice is, if you are currently employed at Gray.. save some money and move out of Tallahassee. This job will keep you stuck.

Also, horrible pay with no chance of advancement (Unless you're related to someone higher up)

Advice to Management

Run out your nepotistic, despressing careers and allow a new generation to take over, if Gray even still exists by that time.

5. "Stay away"

I have been working at Gray Television full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My desk is near a window

Cons

Gray values quantity over quality.
    It is the Walmart and McDonalds of TV

Advice to Management

Poor morale and poor pay give people no reason to care or try at their jobs.

"There are worse companies, but there are far, far better"

Current Employee - Photojournalist in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Photojournalist in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Gray Television full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Solid 401k plan through Empower Retirement including a company match up to 4%. Okay health, dental, and vision plan options with an HSA through Cigna HSA Bank.
    Station performance 401k bonus contributions and end-of-year bonuses.

Cons

Weak PTO policy. Poor maternity and paternity policies.
    Below industry average salary. Company-wide workforce reduction leaves little room for progression within the company, and little opportunity to broaden professional skill set. CEO Hilton Howell Jr. is widely disliked within the company and has been described as "the embodiment of why people hate the 1%".

Advice to Management

Having spoken with the CEO, there is a clear and egregious disconnect between upper management philosophy and it's employees, particularly surrounding the financial and productivity related benefits of good PTO, maternity, and paternity leave policies.

Keep allowing stations to operate autonomously and allow individual stations to decide what works best for them. Particularly regarding equipment that is used by the boots-on-the-ground, and affording managers the latitude to recruit and retain the workforce they require.

"Definitely the best news broadcast organization to work under, compared to the other big ones."

Current Employee - Web Content Manager in Monroe, LA
    Current Employee - Web Content Manager in Monroe, LA

Pros

You get benefits, decent time off after a year, and they're very into their employees as individuals. Every month they have a different activity to participate in to win prizes.

Cons

Station management, however, may or may not have your interests at heart. Depends on the location and that team, and how they get to their success.

Advice to Management

The little guys try to work hard and deserve a pat on the head from time to time. I've watched a lot of people walk out because they were busting tail, only to see that their efforts weren't even seen.

8. "A Lean Ship with High Expectations and High Benefits, Lower Pay"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Greenville, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Greenville, NC

I worked at Gray Television full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, short probationary period, lots of vacation time and good health insurance options. From my experience, upper management listens to employee concerns and tries to enact change.

Cons

After asking around, I realize now that the pay for lower-level positions is not very competitive. I can't speak for upper management salaries, but wage positions are on the lower end of average. Gray also runs a very lean ship, with most employees doing multiple jobs.

Advice to Management

Listen to your support staff; we're in the traffic system more than anyone else, and we know what we're talking about.

"Get Out As Soon As You Can"

Current Employee - Technical Media Producer in North Augusta, SC
    Current Employee - Technical Media Producer in North Augusta, SC

I have been working at Gray Television full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Willing to hire out of college with little to no experience. It's a good place to get your start, but that's about it.

Cons

Criminally low pay, horrible vacation schedule. The station that I work at is run down and everything breaks on an almost daily basis. Nothing is fixed permanently, basically just a band-aid is placed on it and that's expected to work. Every piece of equipment is outdated including the software. Management does not respect its employees. The station is always understaffed due to people leaving as soon as they can as a result. If you work in production then you are a second class citizen. You're not treated like you're important or that what you do matters, they just expect you to push your buttons and shut up. Our station merged with another and our work load doubled but we didn't see a cent of increased pay.

Advice to Management

Increase your workers' pay. People will be less wiling to leave the smaller stations if you offer them competitive wages. Get rid of the accumulated PTO system. Go back to a set number of vacation days. Offer sick days that don't use up your vacation time. Update your stations to current technology, renovate the buildings. Treat employees like they are people and not automatons. Don't yell at them when they make a mistake. Acknowledge your production staff! Without them your news would not go on the air. They are not just faceless button pushers that you only care about when they mess up.

10. "Evening Co-Anchor"

I have been working at Gray Television full-time

Pros

It's a growing company in a shrinking industry. They're willing to invest in brick and mortar infrastructure to provide contemporary workplaces for their stations.

Cons

Pay is low. Management does not ever consult with the people that actually do the jobs before spending large sums of money on equipment that is cumbersome, inefficient, and impractical for the employees to use.
    Gray is like the McDonald's of TV News. They want every station to be a cookie cutter mirror image of every other station in the chain. They believe one size fits all regardless of market size or cultural and geographical differences in different parts of the country. Management rarely acknowledges good work but is quick to point out any minor error. Turnover is ridiculously high. While Gray spends $ on large ticket items that are unnecessary---they neglect important items like working mics and IFB's on the News Set...Its one man band run and gun press release journalism. Experienced journalists are not valued...saving money and slapping together press release based stories are valued far more than actual journalism.

Advice to Management

Value experienced journalists...utilize their ability to mentor instead of trying to squeeze out meaningless run and gun junk to slap on the air. Allow them to teach the young journalists so they can learn. Most of all, start encouraging a job well done---and rediscover true journalism. Do away with the shoddy quick press release journalism that contributes to TV's shrinking audience. At all cost avoid trying to make every station the same: strive to make ever my station different and relevant to each market's unique community of viewers.