Gray Television Reviews | Glassdoor

Gray Television Reviews

Updated February 8, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gray Television Vice Chairman, CEO and Director Hilton H. Howell, Jr.
Hilton H. Howell, Jr.

1. "False Claims."

I worked at Gray Television full-time

Pros

Didn't have the chance to find any pros to working under Gray.

Cons

Gray bought out the broadcasting company that I was hired under and came in and fired people who didn't fit into their very strict, almost unrealistic mold. I was 7 months pregnant. Terminated via e-mail from corporate HR.

Advice to Management

Don't say you're a family company when you're willing to destroy families. For the Culture and Values section of the ratings I would not apply any "stars" to if that were to be an option. Same goes for Senior Management. What a joke.

"Would not recommend"

Former Employee - News Reporter in South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - News Reporter in South Bend, IN

I worked at Gray Television full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at WNDU -- a local station in South Bend, Ind. owned by Gray Television. The local employees are great -- there are veteran anchors, photographers, and reporters there who can help you grow as a journalist.

Cons

Not a lot of concern for employee happiness or retention. Salary is terrible, especially for newer employees. They pay less and less for the same position, but expect more content.

Advice to Management

Realize that employees are your most important investment -- pay them accordingly.

"Bad management"

Former Employee - Traffic in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Traffic in Tallahassee, FL

Pros

Casual atmosphere.. and there was a pizza party every time someone quit so there was a lot of pizza.

Cons

Terrible management. Will hire anyone, probably so they can get away with paying less than $10 an hour for high responsibility, stressful and tedious work. Prepare to train yourself, you'll get in trouble for not doing something right but won't be given sufficient training. Supervisors are too busy to help you. No work life balance. Building is old and decrepit, everyone always sick.

Advice to Management

Hire more experienced people or TRAIN them properly. Appoint more supervisory roles. Stop buying more markets when employees are already very overworked and can hardly manage the ones you have.

"Worst Company I Have Ever Worked For"

Pros

Will hire ANYONE without ANY experience.

Cons

Hires people without ANY experience. People leave ASAP due to LOW WAGES. Always training new people. If you do well there is no acknowledgement, but if you make ONE mistake its the end of life as you know it.

Advice to Management

Paying your employees less than $10 an hour isnt going to get you any good reviews. Nothing you do to make us "feel" like you care is going to work (like giving us a crate of apples). REALLY??? Show us you care about your employees by giving us something YOU care about: MONEY. They are always in training mode because everyone leaves the SECOND they get enough experience to do it. Always bragging about how well they are doing as a company and how much money they have and making while us little guys cant even afford to live in a decent apartment much less take a vacation.

"Stay away!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Gray Television full-time

Pros

Not much at all, bad place.

Cons

Poor pay, no room for advancement, poor communication, poor management at local level.

"Management Will Make You Feel Crazy For Caring"

I worked at Gray Television full-time

Pros

Pay well over other stations in the TV market I worked in, Good opportunity for advancement if you don't point out ways the company can do better.

Cons

Applicants Mislead - If you are promised something in the interview stage at Gray, get it in writing. Many were promised titles or future promotions that never came. Management also downplays work involved, leading to disgruntled new employees. They don’t ask the tough questions of potential employees to see if they’re right for the job. Instead they go into recruit mode. This leads to under-qualified employees making more work for existing employees and massive turnover.

Favoritism - The employee handbook doesn't apply to everyone. While some are scolded for seemingly minor issues, others get a figurative pat on the back for the same issue. This also happens when vacation time is granted. If complaints arise between employees, management will only listen to the favored party before doling out a unfavorable review to the other. Those who have grounds for firing are given months to improve. Then supervisors are tasked with documenting and making it clear to the employee that they’re falling short. Supervisors don’t get that same courtesy. Instead, management will demote, criticize and pile on the work until you quit. Then they’ll pretend like they’re shocked you’re leaving. Some salaried employees put in less than 40 hours a week, while other neared 70.

No Accountability - The quality of journalism and video journalism went down dramatically during my time with Gray. Management will not fact check or reprimand employees when they don’t. There’s also no punishment for breaking equipment or doing sub-par work. Supervisors may be scolded for it later, but aren't given the authority to punish or fire bad employees. Management is not accountable for anything. Planning is mostly nonexistent. Major projects then either fall short or viewers and sources are offended during the scramble to make it right, leaving reporters to do damage control.

HR Nonexistent - For months I couldn't find an employee who knew who our Human Resources representative was. It’s impossible to find a Gray HR supervisor. Management will only give you a nonspecific HR email.

Management Fails, Appoints Supervisor to Take Blame - So many long-term employees turned supervisors with an eye for quality were pushed out because they held the station to a higher standard than management. The newsroom had more supervisors than I’d ever seen at a business. This lead to confusion among reporters/producers. (Who I am supposed to report to? Supervisor 1 told me this, but Supervisor 2 told me this.) Supervisors are told they are doing a great job, but then given bad reviews, if they get reviews at all. Reviews you’re supposed to get bi-annually only happen when it’s decided you’re doing something wrong. Don’t try to go above your bosses’ head if you’re treated unfairly either. Gray management hires their friends and people they mentor, so your complaints will fall on deaf ears and probably put you in an even worse situation.

Advice to Management

Take some of the blame instead of projecting it onto your employees. Hold all employees accountable in the same manner. Tell the truth. A major culture shift is needed to keep any employees long term.

"The company operates like George Orwell's 1984"

Former Employee - Video Journalist
    Former Employee - Video Journalist

I worked at Gray Television full-time

Pros

If you're a lemming and want to do things mindlessly and just follow "Big Brother," work here and you can work for this company the rest of your life.

Pay is slightly higher than some other companies, but the benefits are either non-existent or terrible.

Cons

Have you read 1984?

If you are an independent thinker with ideas, they'll just put you down. The company has very much their own line of thought and if you stray from it, you're targeted for either the worst assignments or termination as soon as they can find some excuse of a reason. While I worked there I saw so many terminations due to this rather than anything related to the employee's work product.

Management is terrible and exhibits rampant favoritism. Some of the worst employees get promotions because they're the lemmings who say "yes" to whatever management asks, which ends up meaning the news product provided to the public isn't the best it could be. Management also sugarcoats everything and lies about a position's responsibilities during interviews and then wonders why people are dissatisfied once they start. The company also overreaches on projects without planning thoroughly, which leads to unnecessary failures and unsatisfied employees.

Work/life balance sucks. Part of it is a day-to-day newsroom management issue. Some people get to be slackers while others are worked until they drop. You only get 2 sick days a year and no vacation days at all your first year....unless of course, you're one of the favored employees who can just take off whatever.

Advice to Management

Seriously examine yourselves and how you run the business. The most successful places are meritocracies.

"Not bad."

Current Employee - MCO in Bowling Green, KY
    Current Employee - MCO in Bowling Green, KY

I have been working at Gray Television full-time (More than a year)

Pros

small market stations allow entry level employees to gain experience.

Cons

Salaries are terrible with no raises.

Advice to Management

pay more attention to training younger employees.

"don't work for gray television, if you have other options"

Former Employee - Reporter
    Former Employee - Reporter

Pros

if you really have no other options for a job in television news, then it is a good place to work.

Cons

very outdated equipment, terrible managment, terrible salaries

Advice to Management

managment needs to research the changes and advances in technology in broadcasting within the last ten years. technology, equipment and even terminology is extremely outdated.