Gray Television Reviews | Glassdoor

Gray Television Reviews

Updated March 31, 2017

4.0
Gray Television Vice Chairman, CEO and Director Hilton H. Howell, Jr.
Hilton H. Howell, Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Easy going work environment and friendly (in 4 reviews)

• There are some great people to work with who truly make coming to work everyday enjoyable (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay-Most journalists have a second job outside of the station to make ends meet (in 8 reviews)

• No training, low pay, low or no bonuses, poor benefits, long hours (in 4 reviews)

"Definitely the best news broadcast organization to work under, compared to the other big ones."

Current Employee - Web Content Manager in Monroe, LA
    Current Employee - Web Content Manager in Monroe, LA

Pros

You get benefits, decent time off after a year, and they're very into their employees as individuals. Every month they have a different activity to participate in to win prizes.

Cons

Station management, however, may or may not have your interests at heart. Depends on the location and that team, and how they get to their success.

Advice to Management

The little guys try to work hard and deserve a pat on the head from time to time. I've watched a lot of people walk out because they were busting tail, only to see that their efforts weren't even seen.

2. "A Lean Ship with High Expectations and High Benefits, Lower Pay"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Greenville, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Greenville, NC

I worked at Gray Television full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, short probationary period, lots of vacation time and good health insurance options. From my experience, upper management listens to employee concerns and tries to enact change.

Cons

After asking around, I realize now that the pay for lower-level positions is not very competitive. I can't speak for upper management salaries, but wage positions are on the lower end of average. Gray also runs a very lean ship, with most employees doing multiple jobs.

Advice to Management

Listen to your support staff; we're in the traffic system more than anyone else, and we know what we're talking about.

3. "Photog Review"

Current Employee - Photographer in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Photographer in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Gray Television full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity for advancement, friendly people, forward thinking news company. One of the most receptive to newbies that I have ever seen.

Cons

At the highest level money is saved by cutting corners on gear and equipment. While I understand it is still frustrating.

Advice to Management

Understand that your reporters and photogs need equipment to do their job and do it well.

4. "It's a great place to work, if you are willing to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

Pros

The senior management is by far the best I've ever worked with, they actually care about their employees. From the president on down, all are very approachable. Benefits aren't bad, full medical and dental, a 401(k) plan and an employee stock purchase program. Unlike a lot of companies, this is one you can see yourself retiring with, no matter where you are in your career.

Cons

Money, or lack of it, always seems to be an issue in the company, at all divisions. Projects tend to be shot down under the premise "there just isn't enough money to do this," or "the ROI isn't high enough for us." Same applies for hiring additional staff. It's not uncommon that an employee is doing the work of two or more. This is really a company where you need to be resourceful.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees, if we feel that you have our backs, we'll have yours.

5. "RF Engineer"

I have been working at Gray Television full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work on interesting projects. Build stations and play with all kinds of equipment.

Cons

24 hour 7 days a week on call

6. "Good company to work for"

I have been working at Gray Television full-time

Pros

Great company to get your foot in the door in the television broadcast/news business. Benefits are generous. There are chances to be promoted from within if you stick around. Lots of nice people and the company is growing.

Cons

Because Gray is in smaller markets, there is turnover as employees move on in their careers. The company is okay with this and understands that's the way the business works for small markets. But that can be tough on the employees who stay and are always training.

"Great team, not great benefits package"

Current Employee - Broadcast Engineer
    Current Employee - Broadcast Engineer

I have been working at Gray Television full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible people to work with, regardless of department or management. Strong teamwork and encouragement to learn more and progress career-wise. Open communication among leadership helps different teams thrive off each other and make for a progressive and friendly work environment.

Cons

Because pay isn't too great, not many employees can afford the recently gutted and 'simplified' health insurance plans (which was a nightmare to deal with the unknowledgeable insurance company over the phone when signing up), thus making them not benefits at all. It's really the opposite.

"I think it depends on your title, your responsibilities and your attitude"

I have been working at Gray Television full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful training, casual dress code, and amazing corporate managers who actually care. The atmosphere for working is laid back and they do not try to stress you.
    There are some great people to work with who truly make coming to work everyday enjoyable.
    There are perks to working in television apparently as well.

Cons

none of the above pays the bills, and the pay for some jobs is barely above minimum wage.

Advice to Management

If employees feel undervalued and unappreciated, this can spur faster turnover rates and burn out in jobs so make it a place where genuine feedback is appreciated.

9. "Good company to work for"

I have been working at Gray Television full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very involved management, great people who work there

Cons

slower to advance digitally for their stayions

10. "MMJ"

I worked at Gray Television full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good office culture, ability to take leadership, frequent opportunities for growth and promotion, management listens to employees, managers willing to invest in new technology

Cons

Poor compensation, no benefits for the first year, consistently high turnover which adds work to remaining employees, little feedback provided