Gray Television "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Gray Television Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Found 102 reviews

2.8
Gray Television CEO Hilton H. Howell, Jr.
Hilton H. Howell, Jr.
Pros
  • "Entry Level Training IN A Small market that is tough for new journalists but good experience that can make or break you(in 4 reviews)

• "Easy going work environment and friendly(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "low pay, poor communication, could be difficult to learn for new(in 17 reviews)

• "Long hours if you want to get ahead and move up but it's that way with any job(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great starter station"

I have been working at Gray Television part-time

Pros

Great starter station that allows for a lot of room to try new things and work in all aspects of news reporting and production.

Cons

A lot of reusing content throughout newscasts and sometimes getting lazy. Not a lot of evaluation from upper management on what to do better.

Advice to Management

Give employees more opportunities for reflection and constructive feedback on how to get better and be more innovative and enterprising in storytelling.

Gray Television2018-02-06
  2. "A Lean Ship with High Expectations and High Benefits, Lower Pay"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Greenville, NC

I worked at Gray Television full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Great Benefits, short probationary period, lots of vacation time and good health insurance options. From my experience, upper management listens to employee concerns and tries to enact change.

Cons

After asking around, I realize now that the pay for lower-level positions is not very competitive. I can't speak for upper management salaries, but wage positions are on the lower end of average. Gray also runs a very lean ship, with most employees doing multiple jobs.

Advice to Management

Listen to your support staff; we're in the traffic system more than anyone else, and we know what we're talking about.

Gray Television2017-03-07

"Good Place to Start, Bad Place for Longevity"

I worked at Gray Television full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

A lot of new skills to learn and build resume with, mostly friendly staff, ability to network and meet people with similar goals. SOME managers are absolutely great to work with. A good place to see how the local television industry works.

Cons

Vindictive upper management, low pay, raises few and far between and when they do happen they are often so small that you don't really see the increase in pay due to taxes eating it all up. Not much room at all for true advancement. Think waiting 10 plus years for someone else to retire so you could "maybe" get that position. Awful hours, almost no one behind the scenes will...

Advice to Management

Stop wasting money on "random" drug tests to 9.99 times out of 10 NOT bust them. Reinvest money into upgraded technology AS WELL AS the people who use that tech. Think about lowering turnover and the costs of hiring new when you could just reward current employees with REAL raises they truly deserve and in return keep a well rounded, well trained, well experience staff that will actually know what the heck they are doing...

Gray Television2014-08-08

"Needs updating"

I have been working at Gray Television

Pros

Good People, room for movement

Cons

Awful pay, selfish upper management.

Advice to Management

Don't throw $250,000+ one night parties and invite only on air talent in the market and chalk it up to "saving money." Oops.

Gray Television2014-06-20