Graybar Reviews

Updated May 20, 2020

3.4
Graybar Chairman, President and CEO Kathleen M. Mazzarella
Kathleen M. Mazzarella
Pros
  • "Profit sharing and stock plan really help set you up in a great position for your future(in 76 reviews)

• "They offer great benefits to all levels of employees(in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management should push other teams to actively convert prototypes into implementable solutions(in 18 reviews)

• "low pay, arrogant management, negative culture(in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work and Grow"

Current Employee - Graybar in Boston, MA

I have been working at Graybar full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great place to work with lots of potential for advancement.

Cons

None that I can think of

Graybar2020-01-30

February 5, 2020HR Coordinator

Thank you for your review. We are always happy to hear from our long-time employees – we appreciate everything you do!

2. "great environment"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Graybar full-time

Pros

Great culture, and management cares about employees.

Cons

The salary set up wasn't great for the hours that had to be worked.

Graybar2020-04-27

April 30, 2020Human Resources

Thank you for leaving a review. We are glad you enjoyed our unique culture and felt supported by your manager. We believe managers play a big part of creating a positive work environment and are happy to hear you had a good experience with yours.

3. "Love my team"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Graybar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun company with great benefits

Cons

Workload is too much often

Graybar2020-05-21
  4. "Great Company! 150 Years Old and One I Feel Will Be Here 150 Years From Now!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager

I worked at Graybar full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Profit Sharing Pension (When is was offered) People Fiscally Responsible ESOP Promotions from within Ability to move to roles across the country Above is a list of all the things I felt was great during my time at Graybar. I will say this I worked there for 10+ years. People there feel like family. I worked at multiple locations all across the US. Every branch I worked at I made friends I still talk to today. The best feedback I can give is this. I only left due to circumstances not associated to my time there. I do hope some day I am able to go back and rejoin the team!

Cons

Slow to change with times, but I think that is common with any large size comany. Sometimes growth within company is based on who you know not what you know.

Graybar2020-04-22

April 30, 2020Human Resources

Thank you for your review.! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your time here and were able to take advantage of the many benefits and perks Graybar offers. It is also great to hear of all the friends you made while you were here! Keep checking our careers website when you are ready to join us again.

5. "Graybar was a great company to work for with a very collaborative culture with excellent benefits."

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at Graybar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Have top notch suppliers with latest Technolgical advanced products that provide innovative solutions for all facets of Industrial/ Comm. DATA & construction markets

Cons

Onboarding process for new hires needs to be improved

Graybar2020-04-21

April 30, 2020Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We hear you regarding our onboarding process for new hires and we are actively looking into making changes and improvements.

6. "I enjoyed my time there"

Former Employee - Sales Trainee in Glendale Heights, IL

I worked at Graybar full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay, Benefits, training, people, workload was manageable, I had a good manager

Cons

The building was old and there were communication issues periodically.

Graybar2020-04-20

April 30, 2020Human Resources

Thank you for leaving a comment. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your time at Graybar!

7. "Graybar is still a good company if you are on the right team"

Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Graybar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My management team and division was awesome. Benefits were a plus and I traveled a lot and learned a lot.

Cons

DO NOT EVER APPLY FOR SALES TRAINEE ROLE**** If you never sold before this may not be for you if your assignment isn't already producing...not enough youth in the company and a lot of the senior employees run from growth and change....the way they laid folks off during Corona season was wrong and very distasteful....they need to change their budget for new reps that 300K gross margin is not manageable if the assignment giving isnt already producing close to 50%... they need a better marketing plan to promote comm data a lot of businesses still only see electrical....DAS is the new market work closely with AT&T and VZW on getting better pricing from manufactures and start stocking more than just corning and commscope if you want to win more of these jobs.... oh yea the salaries need to be looked at moving forward aint no way a competitor is giving me 20K more to do the same job

Graybar2020-05-02
  8. "I'd avoid it."

1.0
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Graybar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Profit Sharing is great. Privately owned Fortune 500 company Most of the people I worked with were some of the greatest I've had the please of sharing an office with.

Cons

Terribly mismanaged. Arrogant managers, directors and VPs, that compete against each other rather than work towards the common good of the company. Extremely antiquated culture. If you are looking for a job where you can collect a pay check by doing the bare minimum (show up), then this it the right place for you. If you do ever have a problem, HR will NOT help you. Instead they'll do whatever they can to bury the issue vs dealing with it. As an IT professional who worked there for 6 years, I can tell you top level leadership, including the president has no idea what current technology can do, nor are they interested in a path to get there. Salaries are not competitive in today's market. I'm making 40k more a year to do the same job for my current company.

Graybar2020-05-20

"Behind the Times"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maryland Heights, MO

I worked at Graybar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

stock, profit sharing (although not as attractive as it used to be)

Cons

low pay, arrogant management, negative culture

Graybar2020-04-22

April 30, 2020Human Resources

Thank you for your comments. We are sorry you feel that way. At Graybar, we do everything we can to ensure salaries are commensurate with experience and are reviewed on a regular basis.

"Do not respect employees"

Current Employee - Customer Service

I have been working at Graybar full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

health benefits, profit sharing, vacation time

Cons

no opportunity to advance, greedy,

Graybar2020-04-18

April 30, 2020Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We are sorry you feel your experience is not reflecting an ability to grow and progress within Graybar. As an employee-owned company, we are very proud of our strong history of internal movement. We encourage you to speak with your manager or HR regarding your development plan.

Found 477 reviews