Grayling Management Reviews | Glassdoor

Grayling Management Reviews

Management

3.6
Loretta Ahmed, Sarah Scholefield, Peter Harris, Jan Simunek

Pros
  • Work from home Fridays is nice to avoid the toxic environment of the office (in 12 reviews)

• Benefits such as unlimited vacation, work from home Fridays and a flexible work environment allow for greater work-life balance (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • No one sticks their necks out for people, every man for himself (in 7 reviews)

• Some senior management were out of their depth and hanging on to positions for their salaries instead of committing to continuous improvement (in 7 reviews)

"My time at Grayling was well spent"

Former Employee - Management

I worked at Grayling full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked at Grayling for several years and it was an overall positive experience for me. I left the company grateful for my time there and with lifelong connections both professionally and personally.

Opportunity, growth and reward abound for those who are determined and play well in the sandbox with others. The majority of my Grayling colleagues (both on the front lines and in management) exhibited guts, creativity, teamwork and a conscientious work ethic day in and day out. I gained continual growth opportunities and increased my knowledge and skills immensely.

Grayling does more to promote work/life balance than any company I worked for in the past. The generous U.S. benefits package is unrivaled in the communications industry.

It’s a good time to be at Grayling. New energy is emerging after a period of growing pains from expanding the U.S. region. Global leadership is ambitious, committed and connected like never before. More multi-market accounts are happening across all regions. My role kept me in the bigger picture each day where I could see the great things on the horizon for this organization.

Cons

The U.S. mergers over the past couple of years were tough in the couple of offices where local talent and leadership were merged. Whether you are the acquiring or the acquired, mergers could always go better. No doubt we could have done a better job in those offices.

Consolidating and rolling out new processes and systems in large scale takes time and it is understandable that it can feel like things are not moving fast enough if you are not involved in that process.

From my vantage point and experience, the people who keep it productive and work respectfully with others are plentiful in Grayling’s 50+ offices.

Advice to Management

My advice is to everyone. Look for bright spots instead of shortcomings. Replicate the bright spots and ask how you can be a part of the solution where needed. Use the available resources to reach out and work with colleagues around your region and globally – the opportunities in this organization are limitless.

"Positive Experience Turned Negative"

Former Employee - Management

I worked at Grayling full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits were really good. I had some really great co-workers and some of the people I worked with were smart and very creative which was really inspiring. Having flexibility was really great and I loved having a partial telecommute.

Cons

When the company was Atomic, it was really a tight-knit, cohesive group. The culture had it's growing pains but all in all it was a great place to be and people enjoyed being there. Employees were promoted when they were ready and not based on on annual review schedule. Turnover was minimal because employees didn't have to leave to get promoted. When the merge took place, we were told that the goal of Grayling was to have a culture similar to Atomic's - laid back, simple, upbeat. Instead it became bureaucratic, political, tense, cut-throat and uncomfortable. Everyone was stressed out and it showed. About 6 months in, the turnover was really high which made the culture even more unbearable. The executive team didn't seem to care. Some managers tried to make it better but there is only so much you can so as things come from the top down and if the executive team isn't contributing the the bettering of the agency, it won't get better. Pay/promotions for performance was eliminated. In several instances, I witnessed a couple of managers belittling and even yelling at employees like that was ok. It was brought to the attention of the executive team but nothing was done, which makes that behavior acceptable and this was done to really good employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to your managers and employees. They are the people who see things first-hand every day. Be willing to admit to mistakes and make changes for the better. Don't tolerate hostile employees and managers and get rid of those people. They only make things worse for the good people you have. Several bad apples spoil the bunch and you are losing good people because of it.